Old 11-09-2007, 02:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Look what I found

I'm poking around the pond and stumble across this thing just sitting in
the water.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...p022007006.jpg
This is one tough lily. It started life as a bunch of bulbs I threw into
the water (that's about as much care as they get at my place). Alas, one
of the bulbs was thrown way short, and landed in very shallow water. Yes,
this was the bulb. It also survived the pond being drained twice, once
when it got enlarged and once when the pond got really low on water,
although the water wasn't completely gone. The plant has been left high
and dry for days at a time, and yet it survives and even blooms. I've
really got to hand it to plants with spirit like that.

--
Galen Hekhuis
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
It also survived the pond being drained twice, once
when it got enlarged

OK, I have read enough to know that practically every ponder wants a
bigger pond and wishes he/she had done it the 1st time. I am converting
a pool to pond with 18,500Gal and 3 1/2' to 9' depth and am afraid it is
too big. What size pond is the RIGHT size? I know that depends on the
given space, but can this group agree on an IDEAL size if they had the room?

Chip

Old 11-09-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Now THAT is a beautiful lily...and tough. There has to be a wonderful
proverbial lesson in here somewhere.

Jim

Old 11-09-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
I'm poking around the pond and stumble across this thing just sitting in
the water.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...p022007006.jpg
This is one tough lily. It started life as a bunch of bulbs I threw into
the water (that's about as much care as they get at my place). Alas, one
of the bulbs was thrown way short, and landed in very shallow water. Yes,
this was the bulb. It also survived the pond being drained twice, once
when it got enlarged and once when the pond got really low on water,
although the water wasn't completely gone. The plant has been left high
and dry for days at a time, and yet it survives and even blooms. I've
really got to hand it to plants with spirit like that.

--
Galen Hekhuis
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.

Very nice, careful it doesn't eat you. :-)

Old 11-09-2007, 03:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
I'm poking around the pond and stumble across this thing just sitting in
the water.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...p022007006.jpg

Brevity snips
================
That is one tough plant! Nice color too! :-)
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

It's name wouldn't be Audrey by chance?

k :-)

Old 11-09-2007, 08:54 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Chip" wrote:

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
It also survived the pond being drained twice, once
when it got enlarged

OK, I have read enough to know that practically every ponder wants a
bigger pond and wishes he/she had done it the 1st time. I am converting
a pool to pond with 18,500Gal and 3 1/2' to 9' depth and am afraid it is
too big. What size pond is the RIGHT size? I know that depends on the
given space, but can this group agree on an IDEAL size if they had the room?

Well, I did hear that the ship they built for the movie "Titanic" is for
sale...

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"k" wrote in message
ups.com...
It's name wouldn't be Audrey by chance?

k :-)

"Feed me Seymour, feed me now !"

Old 11-09-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Ideal pond size

The biggest that the space and you can manage. Our 2 acre home back
yard has a 4,000 gal system that fits where it is located by the deck
and behind the house. If I could do it again, I could not change
much. Our aesthetics for the width of the deck and the length of the
house dedtermined the size. The size is determined by the location.

Our 35 acre property is another story! The pond there is an acre.
The size was determined by the most that the runoff would support. It
is dirt bottomed and would be hard to work for koi. It has bluegill
and bass.

Part B of the issue has to do with the fish you are running. The rule
of thumb for koi is 1,000 gal for the first and 100 per additional
koi.

Your pool has more depth than you need, but not more tha you can use.
It could be beautiful to have 6-8' of depth for your fish. If I were
building it from scratch, I would probably make it shallower for
cost's sake.

Have you ever been to the Japanese Tea Garden in San Francisco? When
I was htere in the 1960's, it had a great stream setup with fish.
Huge and winding.

What is the biggest pond that will fit your aesthetics? That is the
ideal size. IMHO

Jim

Old 11-09-2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Chip" wrote in message ...
OK, I have read enough to know that practically every ponder wants a
bigger pond and wishes he/she had done it the 1st time. I am converting a
pool to pond with 18,500Gal and 3 1/2' to 9' depth and am afraid it is too
big. What size pond is the RIGHT size? I know that depends on the given
space, but can this group agree on an IDEAL size if they had the room?

========================
The bigger the better! :-) I only dream of and wish I had something like a
18,500g pond for my koi.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"Reel McKoi" wrote
The bigger the better! :-) I only dream of and wish I had something like
a 18,500g pond for my koi.

I hope you have more than one, or he'll be pretty lonely in a pond that
large

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 11-09-2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
San Diego Joe wrote:

"Chip" wrote:

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
It also survived the pond being drained twice, once
when it got enlarged

OK, I have read enough to know that practically every ponder wants a
bigger pond and wishes he/she had done it the 1st time. I am converting
a pool to pond with 18,500Gal and 3 1/2' to 9' depth and am afraid it is
too big. What size pond is the RIGHT size? I know that depends on the
given space, but can this group agree on an IDEAL size if they had the room?

Well, I did hear that the ship they built for the movie "Titanic" is for
sale...

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Closer to you. Just a large flatbed and a quick trip to Rosarito. :-)
Will be tough sitting at the border with it, though.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Galen, what a wonderful discovery that greeted you. Nice surprise. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-09-2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"MLF" wrote in message
I hope you have more than one, or he'll be pretty lonely in a pond that
large

==================
I've got hundreds of koi,... wanna buy some? :-))
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Look what I found Pat. Wendy7 Garden Photos 3 25-03-2010 02:14 AM
[IBC] Look what I found! --> caudiciforms as bonsai? Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 21-07-2005 02:47 PM
[IBC] Look what I found! Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 4 20-07-2005 04:45 PM
Look what I found! Tekmanx Bonsai 0 19-07-2005 06:17 PM
LOOK What We Found in Our Pond this Morning! Critical Popperian Ponds 18 14-05-2003 04:56 AM