Old 01-10-2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Scarecrow sprinkler, feed from Pond?

Hi,
Id love to setup a scarecrow sprinkler to keep Herons, cats and my dog
away from my pond. I dont want to have garden hose running acrosss
the yard, the pond is quite a ways away. Any easy way to use my
exisitng pump, that is feeding my waterfall, to push water to the
scarecrow? Any thoughts?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"phillerup" wrote:

Hi,
Id love to setup a scarecrow sprinkler to keep Herons, cats and my dog
away from my pond. I dont want to have garden hose running acrosss
the yard, the pond is quite a ways away. Any easy way to use my
exisitng pump, that is feeding my waterfall, to push water to the
scarecrow? Any thoughts?

I have had more than one scarecrow. The last one has worked fine for quite
some time but one previous one would start and not stop, another worked
sporadically. Not a huge issue if connected to your hose, but you'd be
embarrassed if you emptied your pond! I'm also not sure you would get enough
pressure using a pump. How much oomph does it have?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:22:47 CST, phillerup wrote:

Hi,
Id love to setup a scarecrow sprinkler to keep Herons, cats and my dog
away from my pond. I dont want to have garden hose running acrosss
the yard, the pond is quite a ways away. Any easy way to use my
exisitng pump, that is feeding my waterfall, to push water to the
scarecrow? Any thoughts?

We hard piped ours connecting in to the outside house water system
(somehow). So all piping is underground, and I even gained a another faucet
closer to the pond area.

Joe brings up some good points regarding hooking it up to a pond pump. I've
never had one stick on, but I've sure had my neighbor make it goes off a
lot when he mows back & forth, back & forth. I go thru a lot of batteries
down by the koi pond, where 1 set of batteries makes it thru the season on
the lily pond. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 02-10-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"phillerup" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
Id love to setup a scarecrow sprinkler to keep Herons, cats and my dog
away from my pond. I dont want to have garden hose running acrosss
the yard, the pond is quite a ways away. Any easy way to use my
exisitng pump, that is feeding my waterfall, to push water to the
scarecrow? Any thoughts?

I've never found the Scarecrows very reliable and I doubt you'd get enough
pressure from your pump.

I did buy some water solenoid valves on eBay ($10) that I planned to hook up
to the garden hose and Pond motion sensor. But it's still on the todo list,
as the Heron never came back.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

phillerup wrote:

Hi,
Id love to setup a scarecrow sprinkler to keep Herons, cats and my dog
away from my pond. I dont want to have garden hose running acrosss
the yard, the pond is quite a ways away. Any easy way to use my
exisitng pump, that is feeding my waterfall, to push water to the
scarecrow? Any thoughts?

If the pump is powerful enough, sure. City water supplies generally pump an
minimum of 70psi, iirc. A well system 20-40, but most pond pumps will
produce nothing close. I suspect you'll just get a little trickle out of
the Scarecrow if you just tee off the waterfall line (noting that the path
of least resistance is still going to be the open outlet to the waterfall).
--
derek

Old 02-10-2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Id love to setup a scarecrow sprinkler to keep Herons, cats and my dog
away from my pond. I dont want to have garden hose running acrosss
the yard, the pond is quite a ways away. Any easy way to use my
exisitng pump, that is feeding my waterfall, to push water to the
scarecrow? Any thoughts?

Wouldn't you have to keep the pump running all the time , so it would work
when activated by the sensor and it would probably take a fair sized pump to
spray properly ($$$$$ - both for pump and electricity)
JMO - Gale :~)

Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I would think it would burn out the pump running all the time without pushing the
water anywhere. pumps are cooled by the water going thru them. Ingrid

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Lawn feed sprinkler attachments? DiggerDan Lawns 0 11-06-2012 11:34 AM
Gear driven sprinkler versus impact sprinkler MiamiCuse Lawns 2 11-11-2008 02:40 AM
help - Scarecrow Sprinkler ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 0 07-08-2003 08:12 AM
scarecrow michael.murphy7 Ponds 1 06-07-2003 06:44 PM
Scarecrow Sue Alexandre Ponds 5 30-06-2003 04:32 AM