GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Dream pond - Next pond will have... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/165732-dream-pond-next-pond-will-have.html)

DavidM[_2_] 09-10-2007 05:54 PM

Dream pond - Next pond will have...

The pond that I dug in my families garden has been pretty happy all year
(finger crossed/touch wood etc). That means I've not been too involved,
and have been pretty quiet in the group.

That does not stop me dreaming about pond modifications and new designs.
My next pond will be different. Larger (currently 900 gallons), and more
formal (currently a hand dug hole with PVC liner).

Here are my dream pond features. I would be very grateful for comments
or experienced thoughts. The answerers might be useful to people
starting out also;

- Raised brick sides. I would have maybe 2' below ground and 3' above
ground, contained by a concrete block wall. I like the idea of fish at
chair height, not foot height.

- Perfectly round and straight sided. This is the formal aspect. No
shallow bits for heron wading and no slow moving water patches. Will
heron stand on the edge of a pond wall, how could you stop that?

- Aim for 6000 L (1500 G) or more. I like the Skippy design filter that
we use now, it would need to be much larger though. Perhaps a small
vortex first and some fine matting last, or just out into the veggie filter?

- Glass fibre over concrete block surface. Sealed concrete with a good
thickness of tough glass fibre. Liner leaks are horrific and far too
easy, I don't want any more of those.

- No plants in the main pond, just fish. I like veggie filters, so would
probably have tanks in a crescent around one quarter of the ponds
circumference. The water would be fast moving from tank to tank, with a
cascade of reed, iris and watercress. Before or after filters, or
completely separate?

- Perhaps a pergola over the top of the pond to keep off the summer sun
and slow algae growth.

Please feel free to comment on one or all. Do we have a group FAQ?

--
DavidM
www.djmorgan.org.uk

Bill Stock 10-10-2007 04:35 AM

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

My dream pond would be indoor/outdoor with a large tunnel joining the indoor
outdoor part. The tunnel would have hatches at both ends and could be closed
for the winter. The indoor pond would have raised edges/seats as you
indicated. The outdoor pond would have a waterfall/bottom drain(s) and
skimmer. Perhaps a water-wall indoors too. The outdoor pond would also have
a Lilly pond and stream. The filter room for the pond/aquarium would be
housed under the walls supporting the indoor pond.

[email protected] 10-10-2007 03:55 PM

Dream pond - Next pond will have...

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:35:10 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:
a lot of humidity unless it is enclosed. Ingrid

Perhaps a water-wall indoors too.

[email protected] 10-10-2007 03:55 PM

Dream pond - Next pond will have...

round? formal? how about a water canon in the middle to move the herons along?
I am afraid they will have no problem standing on the edge and fishing. OTOH, a
pergola over the top will most likely keep the fish out of sight of herons.

are you going to have a waterfall? where?

I think there is nothing cooler than a single lily in a pond with the leaves fanned
out and a light underneath to illuminate the leaves and the fish as they swim out
from under the leaves.

a veggie filter is the simplest...

DavidM[_2_] 10-10-2007 11:43 PM

wrote, On 10/10/2007 15:55:

are you going to have a waterfall? where?

Forgot about that. Would probably have the last veggie filter stage
falling back into the pond. Not too keen on long cascading noisy waterfalls.

--
DavidM

www.djmorgan.org.uk

Gill Passman 11-10-2007 12:13 AM

DavidM wrote:
wrote, On 10/10/2007 15:55:

are you going to have a waterfall? where?

Forgot about that. Would probably have the last veggie filter stage
falling back into the pond. Not too keen on long cascading noisy
waterfalls.

I really wanted to put a waterfall into my new pond. But when I thought
about it and having to run the filter 24/7 I decided it would be a
little unkind to our neighbours - let alone me as we sleep at the back
of the house - I'd be on the loo all the time with all that running
water - lol.....of course at some point I could add another pump just to
run a waterfall so it could be turned off part of the time but budget
kind of dictated that it wouldn't be in the first phase.....

From my understanding waterfalls are good for aerating the water so
maybe not a good idea to totally rule one out - like you I'm thinking
maybe when I get the veggie filter up and running as well as the
conventional purchased one......

Gill

Reel McKoi[_14_] 11-10-2007 09:04 AM

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
My dream pond would be indoor/outdoor with a large tunnel joining the
indoor outdoor part.

===========================
Now that's my dream pond too! :-) But impossible with the kind of house we
have.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

~ jan[_3_] 11-10-2007 09:05 AM

Dream pond - Next pond will have...

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:13:13 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

I really wanted to put a waterfall into my new pond. But when I thought
about it and having to run the filter 24/7 I decided it would be a
little unkind to our neighbours - let alone me as we sleep at the back
of the house - I'd be on the loo all the time with all that running
water - lol.....of course at some point I could add another pump just to
run a waterfall so it could be turned off part of the time but budget
kind of dictated that it wouldn't be in the first phase.....

From my understanding waterfalls are good for aerating the water so
maybe not a good idea to totally rule one out - like you I'm thinking
maybe when I get the veggie filter up and running as well as the
conventional purchased one......

Gill

Waterfalls NOISY? I guess if one does high drops and roaring rapids. I so
enjoy mine I use a baby monitor so I can hear it when I fall asleep at
night since our bedroom is at the other end of the house. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

[email protected] 12-10-2007 11:31 PM

Dream pond - Next pond will have...

good double outlet aerator in the pond works just as well if not better than a
waterfall. I just find my waterfall soothing. cant hear it in the house, of course.
Ingrid

From my understanding waterfalls are good for aerating the water so

kellvinsmiith 21-04-2011 10:32 PM

Its nice that you will have new pond, Its really impressive and you have very nice waterfall. Its really a dream pond.