Old 18-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Registered User

Location: isle of man
Smile winters on its way .

im in the uk , its my first winter having goldfish, they seem to be now spending more time on the bottom of the pond . can anyone in the uk let me know possible how much longer before they stop comeing up for food. thanks
Old 18-10-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default winters on its way .

"margaret corrin" wrote in
message ...

im in the uk , its my first winter having goldfish, they seem to be now
spending more time on the bottom of the pond . can anyone in the uk
let me know possible how much longer before they stop comeing up for
food. thanks

Depends where you are.
I'm in the west of Scotland and my fish still coming up, but are not as
enthusiastic as usual :-)

Usually once the water temp drops to 10c, I switch to wheatgerm food.
When it drops to 4c, I stop feeding.

Old 18-10-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"margaret corrin" wrote in
message ...

im in the uk , its my first winter having goldfish, they seem to be now
spending more time on the bottom of the pond . can anyone in the uk
let me know possible how much longer before they stop comeing up for
food. thanks

===========================
I stop feeding then they no longer show interest in food. If they come up,
feed them, but as the water cools they'll have less and less interest in
food of any kind.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-10-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Oct 18, 3:17 pm, "Reel McKoi" wrote:
"margaret corrin" wrote in
o.uk...

im in the uk , its my first winter having goldfish, they seem to be now
spending more time on the bottom of the pond . can anyone in the uk
let me know possible how much longer before they stop comeing up for
food. thanks

===========================
I stop feeding then they no longer show interest in food. If they come up,
feed them, but as the water cools they'll have less and less interest in
food of any kind.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

Well, the Game fish and the fat head minnows have essentially stopped
feeding; but the Goldfish still want to feed!

Old 19-10-2007, 04:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Where do you have your gamefish and flathead minnows. Ours are in our
acre pond.

Jim

Old 19-10-2007, 05:55 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Oct 18, 9:05 pm, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Where do you have your gamefish and flathead minnows. Ours are in our
acre pond.

Jim

They are in the 400 gallon pond! They are just Bluegills. I got them
and the fathead minnows and the clams from Carolina Biological
supply! Where the biggie on the bottom came from is unknown to me!

Old 19-10-2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Do you know at what temp they began to be dormant?

im

Old 19-10-2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:54:04 CST, margaret corrin
wrote:

im in the uk , its my first winter having goldfish, they seem to be now
spending more time on the bottom of the pond . can anyone in the uk
let me know possible how much longer before they stop comeing up for
food. thanks

I'm not in the UK, but mine didn't stop coming up for food until the
top had a thin layer of ice around the edges. I didn't feed as much
in the winter, but continued the same feed that I use in the summer.
Some winters I had no ice and fed all winter.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 19-10-2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:55:42 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

Where the biggie on the bottom came from is unknown to me!

Is that all you are going to share about "the biggie"?
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 19-10-2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Oct 19, 8:01 am, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Do you know at what temp they began to be dormant?

im

seemed to be when the lows started to reach into the low forties and
the high 30's! Did not seem to have a bearing on the Highs!

Old 19-10-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
Where the biggie on the bottom came from is unknown to me!

Is that all you are going to share about "the biggie"?

No idea! It appeared early this spring! Saw a large, black torpedo
shaped fish swimming near the bottom! Never put anything like that
in! It Just patrolled the bottom of the pond till late summer when
it rose to grab some of the flies and crickets I put in! Looked like
it had catfish wiskers or something! Suppect it is a plant by one of
my fiends er ah friends!

--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 20-10-2007, 03:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Catfish eat whatever thy can get thir mouth around!

Jim

Old 20-10-2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"chatnoir" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looked like
it had catfish wiskers or something! Suppect it is a plant by one of
my fiends er ah friends!

==============================
Whiskers? I'll bet that's a catfish. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 20-10-2007, 09:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Catfish eat whatever thy can get thir mouth around!

Jim

Which usually means all the other fish in the pond that they can catch.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread: