Old 18-10-2007, 02:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Anybody there?

For two days now I've been missing most of you. I saw one post from
me yesterday and today one from posted through Supernews by John.(JB).
Did all of you guys go somewhere else and just didn't tell me so I
couldn't find you? Or could it be my ISP that is not sharing? That's
not nice!
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 18-10-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Hal" wrote in message
For two days now I've been missing most of you. I saw one post from
me yesterday and today one from posted through Supernews by John.(JB).
Did all of you guys go somewhere else and just didn't tell me so I
couldn't find you? Or could it be my ISP that is not sharing? That's
not nice!
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

I was wondering the same thing - no posts for the last 2 days until 2 today
(18th)
Gale :~)

Old 18-10-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My screen shows one on the 16th and one on the 17th and none in the
moderation que. Looks as though it is not your isp. Must be
something about mid-October.that makes ponders think more before
posting.

Jim

Old 18-10-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
"G Pearce" writes:

"Hal" wrote in message
.. .
For two days now I've been missing most of you. I saw one post from
me yesterday and today one from posted through Supernews by John.(JB).
Did all of you guys go somewhere else and just didn't tell me so I
couldn't find you? Or could it be my ISP that is not sharing? That's
not nice!

I was wondering the same thing - no posts for the last 2 days until 2 today
(18th)

Everyone got eaten by a heron.

Old 18-10-2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Just us Great Blue Herons.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Old 18-10-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

G Pearce wrote:

I was wondering the same thing - no posts for the last 2 days until 2 today
(18th)
Gale :~)

Snap......but it has to be said that until the spring I've not got much
to talk about pondwise so must just be a quiet period

Gill

Old 19-10-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Raining here with rain expected and
after that more rain with occasional
glimpses of sunshine.Pond looks...wet!

k :-)

Old 19-10-2007, 04:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hal wrote:
For two days now I've been missing most of you. I saw one post from
me yesterday and today one from posted through Supernews by John.(JB).
Did all of you guys go somewhere else and just didn't tell me so I
couldn't find you? Or could it be my ISP that is not sharing? That's
not nice!

I'm always lurking here and check the group several times a day. I see a
lot of posts. Now that my pond is gone, I don't post often. My wife just
put a bunch of water chestnuts in a small pond, so I'll give progress
reports on that.

Now, if I could just remember to take 'SPAM' out of my email addy! ;-/

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 19-10-2007, 04:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hal wrote:

For two days now I've been missing most of you. I saw one post from
me yesterday and today one from posted through Supernews by John.(JB).
Did all of you guys go somewhere else and just didn't tell me so I
couldn't find you? Or could it be my ISP that is not sharing? That's
not nice!

Well, I'm here, but between work and trying to get a new computer running,
not much posting...
--
derek

Old 19-10-2007, 05:55 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:22:24 CST, Hal wrote:

For two days now I've been missing most of you. I saw one post from
me yesterday and today one from posted through Supernews by John.(JB).
Did all of you guys go somewhere else and just didn't tell me so I
couldn't find you? Or could it be my ISP that is not sharing? That's
not nice!

My pond has been shrinking. We've had no rain here in this part of
northern Florida, and my pond, which is an unlined or natural pond, is
now more like a huge mud puddle with a little water in it. I run the
garden hose in it a bit or it would be a huge mud puddle with no water
in it. Even though I have no fish (that I know of) various critters
have staked their "generational lives" on the premise that it won't
become just a damp depression in the ground. I feel some sense of
duty to those critters, I'm almost a god to them...
--
Galen Hekhuis
I may have mispoken

Old 19-10-2007, 09:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I feel some sense of
duty to those critters

We need some kind of rain dance
for the SE, or a pipe line.

k :-)

Old 19-10-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:06:01 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Well, I'm here, but between work and trying to get a new computer running,
not much posting...

Are we having fun with Vista and older software? I'm staying with XP
as long as I can and I wish you well with whatever you are working on.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 19-10-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Well, I'm here, but between work and trying to get a new computer running,
not much posting...

Are we having fun with Vista and older software? I'm staying with XP
as long as I can and I wish you well with whatever you are working on.

Hell, no! The only fun I had with Vista was removing it. I run Kubuntu
Linux.
--
derek

Old 20-10-2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:27:37 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Hell, no! The only fun I had with Vista was removing it. I run Kubuntu
Linux.

I admire you folks that can do that. I tried Ubuntu, but my hammer
and chisel background wasn't helpful.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 20-10-2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Hell, no! The only fun I had with Vista was removing it. I run Kubuntu
Linux.

I admire you folks that can do that. I tried Ubuntu, but my hammer
and chisel background wasn't helpful.

I have found that my WiFi signal reaches all around my pond, so I can
stay in touch with the Internet even on the far side of the pond. I
have also noticed that with one DVD of openSUSE Linux it shrinks the
Windows XP partition and installs Linux so that even the built-in
wireless connection in my laptop works perfectly with Linux (it also
found my built-in card reader, the USB ports, just about everything)
with virtually no input from me. I had to tell it what time zone I'm
in, and what language to use, that sort of thing, but the installation
was virtually automatic. The end result is that now I have a
dual-boot system, that is, when I turn it on, it prompts me to either
select Windows or Linux. To make matters even sweeter, there is a
program called "Wine" that lets you run lots of Windows programs under
Linux. As a matter of fact, I'm using Agent (a Windows program) with
Wine running Linux right now. Vista's not quite as straightforward
right now but I have a dual-boot machine running Linux and Vista. It's
a little harder (not much) but it can be done. I don't want to say
it's so easy even a caveman can do it, but it is certainly not beyond
pondfolk.
--
Galen Hekhuis
I have no recollection of recalling that...

Rate This Thread: