Old 29-10-2007, 05:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default The liner went in today.

Finally!

I've been lucky that it's stayed so warm here, today has been the first real
cool day we've had. It all seems to have been fairly uneventful, but I still
have a lot of landscaping left to do. I think a lot of the finer touches
will wait for spring. I was pleased that the folds aren't too bad,
considering the wrinkles I had with the underlay. There's still a lot of
plumbing to do, but I'm not even going to cut the liner for the skimmer or
bottom drain until spring. The epdm has a bit of a pleasant bluish tinge
compared to the old PVC liner.

It's been a little quiet here lately, so I just thought I'd let you know
that some of use northern procrastinators are still ponding. :-)

Old 30-10-2007, 01:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nice to hear of the progress.

Any pics?

Jim

Old 30-10-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

How big is your pond? I too am building a new one, the liner went in
yesterday along with some field stone, today I hope to finish lying the
Stone
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Nice to hear of the progress.

Any pics?

Jim

Old 30-10-2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
How big is your pond? I too am building a new one, the liner went in
yesterday along with some field stone, today I hope to finish lying the
Stone
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Nice to hear of the progress.

Any pics?

Jim

Not very, maybe 10*7 now. Cap stones will have to weight for the week-end. I
want to relevel the edge in any event.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Here's what I have so far

http://www.geocities.com/exar119/Pon...?1193878974934

I stink at web design so this is the best I could do...

Old 01-11-2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I like the history aspect of your site. Its look will change
immeasurably in a once it is full and the edges covered!

Jim

Old 01-11-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

my next step is to trim the liner, then the foliage, I'm hoping to have it
finished before the weather turns nasty cold
s.com...

Old 02-11-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Finally!

I've been lucky that it's stayed so warm here,

Not luck ~ global warming.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
Here's what I have so far

http://www.geocities.com/exar119/Pon...?1193878974934

I stink at web design so this is the best I could do...

Very nice, I won't have a pond that big until the next life. :-(

Old 02-11-2007, 11:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Not luck ~ global warming.

Yeah Global warming, I mean the earth's temp rose by 1 degree in the past
100 years.... man that's a catastrophe.. Good thing we have Al Gore flying
around in his private jet to tell us to cut back on fuel consumption because
after all man is causing it

Old 02-11-2007, 06:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
Here's what I have so far

http://www.geocities.com/exar119/Pon...?1193878974934

I stink at web design so this is the best I could do...

that is pretty bad. :-)

Old 03-11-2007, 06:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Peter Pan wrote:
Not luck ~ global warming.

Yeah Global warming, I mean the earth's temp rose by 1 degree in the past
100 years.... man that's a catastrophe.. Good thing we have Al Gore flying
around in his private jet to tell us to cut back on fuel consumption because
after all man is causing it

I don't think that the facts regarding global warming and the melting of
the ice caps can be disputed. It also can't be disputed that this has
happened throughout the history of this planet (ice ages etc). Climate
change has and always will happen. The real question is to what degree
are we accelarating this by our behaviour?

Now, whatever school of thought you subcribe to on global warming, we,
surely, all have a responsibility to use resources with care and a duty
not to turn the planet into a polluted, rubbish tip.

Gill
PS I agree that there is a certain irony in Al Gore and others jetting
around the place to spread the message

Old 03-11-2007, 08:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Ice cores from Antarctica go back 650,000 years and thru 7 ice ages. Both CO2 and
oxygen (the ratio of the isotopes yield temperature information) are trapped in the
ice as it is formed.

NEVER once during the last 650,000 thousand years has the CO2 level gone over 300
ppm, until recently.

"Carbon dioxide concentrations dropped to 180 ppm during the coldest periods and
reached a maximum of 300 ppm in the warmest periods. Current CO2 concentrations are
at about 380 ppm." http://gwfact.rso.wisc.edu/history.html

"An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is
rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person
presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First,
an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her
actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting
the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument
the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the
following form:

1. Person A makes claim X.
2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
3. Therefore A's claim is false. "

Ingrid

Old 04-11-2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Global warming

Just some random thoughts: How can so many humans NOT affect the climate?

Like too many fish in a pond. Global warming, whether you're a believer
not, it doesn't hurt to clean up our act. Kind of like it doesn't hurt to
pray, whether there is or isn't a pond goddess. If there isn't, oh well,
but if there is.... clear pond for you when you go to the big pond in the
sky. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 04-11-2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
[...]

I find your points interesting....and you have provided the stats that
I've been too lazy to look up - I still maintain that climate change is
part and parcel of living on this planet but coupled with us
contributing to the speeding up of the process.....or indeed worsening
its effect.....but although 75% convinced by the global warming
arguement, the 25% of me that is not is 100% convinced about our need to
cut down our poisoning of our plant through pollution and our
destruction of species who have just as much right as us to live here.

I said "ironic" when it came to Al Gore - and indeed it is that in this
world that we have created that in order to get a message across the
problem is further contributed to....

Basically you are summing up the politics of our world today.....you
could easily substitute Person A/B for Country A/B......furthermore we
also see the arguement of "why should I change my ways when xxxxx
continues to act in the same way and therefore gets a short term
economic advantage over me?". I think the whole pollution issue,
irrespective of whether it contributes to global warming or not, needs
to transcend country borders and politics and we all need to take
responsibility for providing a planet for the future of not only our
"children" but also for every living creature or plant that shares the
planet with us......and it needs to be above party politics and national
interest but be a global goal.....

Now, there is a thing that I would term "Global warming/Climate change
Fatique" where ever single thing is put down to this being a cause -
example is 2006 the summer in the UK was incredibly hot and we had
drought orders in the SE - climate change we were told.....summer 2007
was one of the wettest on record and we had flood warnings in force (and
indeed severe flooding in some areas) - climate change we were
told.....Now I'm not saying that these weather extremes aren't down to
climate change but it does cause a certain amount of sceptisism. Cold
winters - climate change - warm winter next year - climate change....to
the layman this makes a nonsense of the whole thing and an inclination
to believe that the "global warming crew" will blame anything a little
out of the norm on climate change and pollution.....and this is to a
certain degree understandable but it can also be used as an excuse not
to act and to riducle the arguements against taking any action....and
irrespective of whether we "believe" in the hypothesis of global warming
or not we still need to take action to protect our planet....

I'm now going to add the Just my Opinion

Gill

Rate This Thread: