Old 10-11-2007, 04:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Paying for the moderation software for RPM

In article ,
San Diego Joe wrote:

"Kurt" wrote:

My question would be, just how bad could an unmoderated board for ponds
be? It's not political, religious or controversial, and aside from bulk
spam or the occasional flamer, I don't see the value of a omderated
board except to be a lot of work for someone. I subscribe to about 20
Usenet groups, and none of them are moderated. They manage to do fine.
Most everyone knows how to use a killfile, anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow. For a preview, drop in over at rec.ponds. It used to be worse.

I dropped in today after never having been there. Scrolled through last
2 months posts. You have the prolific cross spammer bobandcarole and a
few others easily killfiled. He hit a few groups I was in a while back,
but disappeared after a few emails to his news service. Amazed that he
gets in that group. The rest are related.

The problem I see is that many of the pond group were constantly
responding to these posts.

Easy solution: If they don't get attention they gradually stop posting.
Don't respond. Email their news provider, don't waste time responding to
their baiting.

No posts in that entire group today.

Using the killfile feature is really all you need.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 22:04:40 CST, Kurt wrote:

Easy solution: If they don't get attention they gradually stop posting.
Don't respond. Email their news provider, don't waste time responding to
their baiting.

No posts in that entire group today.

Using the killfile feature is really all you need.

Two years of suggesting/doing the above, some just wouldn't do it or play
nice. The current RP is no history of what it was a year ago. My killfile
was so huge, it would have taken a ream of paper to print it off. And let's
not forget the nonsense flooding that still occurs. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:31:08 CST, Kurt
wrote:

My question would be, just how bad could an unmoderated board for ponds
be?

Bad enough to reduce our number of posters to a small group of very
dedicated people who really like to discuss fish keeping and cause
them to band together and support a moderated group.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Kurt,

I wondered the same thing when we began to have spammers and
conflictual posters on rec.ponds. I enjoyed the group greatly. Take
a look at rec.ponds now...or go over selected months for the last
couple of years. It provides a direct answer to 'how bad'. The
moderated group seems to me a wonderful alternative to the sad state
of the unmoderated group.

JMHO

Jim

Old 10-11-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Drew,

Thanks for the clarification about your problem. Galen is wiser than
most of us moderators about the details of posts. Could you send him
an entire rejected post so that we can check out what is getting you
bounced by the software?

Jim

Old 10-11-2007, 05:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 22:04:40 CST, Kurt wrote:

Easy solution: If they don't get attention they gradually stop posting.
Don't respond. Email their news provider, don't waste time responding to
their baiting.

No posts in that entire group today.

Using the killfile feature is really all you need.

Two years of suggesting/doing the above, some just wouldn't do it or play
nice. The current RP is no history of what it was a year ago. My killfile
was so huge, it would have taken a ream of paper to print it off. And let's
not forget the nonsense flooding that still occurs. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

But now that group has had no posts in 2 days.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:51:33 CST, Kurt wrote:

But now that group has had no posts in 2 days.

And it took, hmmm, 9 months for that to happen, and 1-2 years prior to
that, and after, the majority of us couldn't post there without being
filleted. So a handful of us banded together, and with Ron S. doing the
majority of the startup work, RPM was created.

Just because old RP has been quiet for 2 days does not give me confidence
to go back there. Trolls do have dormancy periods. ;-)

And.... sad to say, even some of our loyal ponders have sharp tongues that
they think they're hiding by being witty. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-11-2007, 10:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:51:33 CST, Kurt
wrote:

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 22:04:40 CST, Kurt wrote:

Easy solution: If they don't get attention they gradually stop posting.
Don't respond. Email their news provider, don't waste time responding to
their baiting.

No posts in that entire group today.

Using the killfile feature is really all you need.

Two years of suggesting/doing the above, some just wouldn't do it or play
nice. The current RP is no history of what it was a year ago. My killfile
was so huge, it would have taken a ream of paper to print it off. And let's
not forget the nonsense flooding that still occurs. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

But now that group has had no posts in 2 days.

Trust me, it __would__ start again.
You would need to know more about who some of our trolls were,
and why they were determined to destroy the group (which they
did).

Have you ever used the "Agent" newsreader? If so, I could send
you a rar file containing all the messages from late-2004 till
late-2006. If you opened it and inserted it into Agent, you would
clearly see what the problem was. No amount of kill-filtering could
solve it.
But what was _far_ worse, the atmosphere was so poisoned
that any newcomers who dropped in were immediately driven off.
Old-timers could use the medicine (kill-filters) and maybe hang on,
but the community itself was so poisoned that the result was fatal.

(Actually, I have most of the messages of rec.ponds packaged,
going back to the late 90's -the good old days that lasted til
2005.)

(In case you're wondering who I am, I helped get rpm started
last fall/winter.)

Ron Schompert

PS: A one-year anniversary is coming up on Nov. 25th. On that day, a
guy named George naively suggested the idea of starting a moderated
group.

I've never heard of such ferocious and consistant attacks on a group
that, in theory, should lack any sort of controversy, and I've been in
some pretty wild ones.

The rec.ponds group had over 10,000 posts archived through my news
service. Saw a lot of the usual suspects who had been cross spamming
everywhere, but most were just a lot of the usual yahoos that get into
every group.

Guess ponders are a stranger bunch than I thought... ;-)

I shy away from PCs, so I use the excellent MTNewswatcher on our Macs.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article . com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Hi Kurt,

I wondered the same thing when we began to have spammers and
conflictual posters on rec.ponds. I enjoyed the group greatly. Take
a look at rec.ponds now...or go over selected months for the last
couple of years. It provides a direct answer to 'how bad'. The
moderated group seems to me a wonderful alternative to the sad state
of the unmoderated group.

Yes, I glanced through a few months worth.

Were these good ponders gone bad? ;-)

I can't imagine how that group attracted all that malice.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I am not sure what happened. If you review the posts after about
2005, you get a very quick idea of the hostilities and where they were
focused. Others could probably describe it to you. Speaking for
myself, I love having a group that is without the rancor of the
trolled rec.ponds. It feels rather like the old days before the
trolls. I thought they would quit when folks did not respond. Not
so. I thought they would tire. Not so. The goal was very much to
destroy the group. That brought the attacking of everything.

Jim

Old 11-11-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Still at $295 toward moderation software

We are at $295 out of the $360 it takes to use the moderation software
next year.

Thnanks folks...now the last push.

Jim

Old 11-11-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:14:17 CST, Kurt wrote:

Were these good ponders gone bad? ;-)

Or showing their true colors from the comforts of their closets? ;-)

Coincidence that RP is being flooded today? Makes me wonder if they're
still seeing RPM as a threat that we might go back there. Some people have
too much time on their hands. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-11-2007, 06:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message

I can't imagine how that group attracted all that malice.

=======================
I tried to email you but it bounced.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Old 11-11-2007, 12:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Paul,

I have not seen your emails, but appreciate this one!

I will touch base with the other mods and write to you privately.

Thank you for looking at the situation and having a plan.

Jim

Rate This Thread: