Old 18-11-2007, 06:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Busy weekend?

All is quiet in the ponding world. Did everyone have a busy weekend?

I know I need to take a water sample, as we had lots of rain, and there are
also more leaves to pick up. The wind blew thru and hopefully dried them
out enough.

Prior to that though I've got KP duty, need to peel potatoes for a
pre-holiday dinner tomorrow at school.

So what did you do this weekend, shop, pond, lounge in front of the TV?
~ jan :-)
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-11-2007, 07:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:29:39 CST, ~ jan wrote:

So what did you do this weekend, shop, pond, lounge in front of the TV?

We just got through a rather abnormal freeze this year. Here in
northern Florida we generally get a few nights that dip below freezing
in the winter, but rarely does one come this early. Well, it was sort
of a semi-freeze here. I have several outdoor recording thermometers
and they said it got down to 30 or even 29, but some of the plants
that usually get nuked by freezing temperatures made it. Most of the
elephant ears got nailed, and nailed good. You can look at them an
tell they won't be coming back anytime this year. But then on the
other side of the pond is an elephant ear that looks unscathed. The
cannas, which were still blooming Thursday, got turned completely
brown. I won't be seeing any green there until next year. But there
is a grass-like plant with purple flowers and a bottle brush plant
with red flowers and there are even a bunch of butterflies that made
it. There are even a few dragonflies out buzzing over the pond as
well. So we had a "killing" freeze, but it is obvious that some
places remained survivably warm.
--
Galen Hekhuis
I may have mispoken

Old 18-11-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I am in the middle of my annual Thanksgiving cleaning
frenzy, getting ready for the college kids to come home,
relatives to desend. :-))
Most of our leaves are gone. Winds took care of that.
We've had it down in the high 20s but now that rain
and fog have shown up we're warmer. Dogs are tracking
in mud. Did see the fish up today nosing around the edges.
Also had a bunch of robins stop by for a bath. The poor
squirrel has been out in the pouring rain stocking up
his cheeks with sunflowers. Dogs decided they wouldn't
lodge a protest at the slider if it meant chasing the
squirrel in the rain. Dogs can melt in rain, don't you know!
k :-)

Old 18-11-2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi..

~ jan wrote:

All is quiet in the ponding world. Did everyone have a busy weekend?

Well removed three buckets of wet tree leaves..

So what did you do this weekend, shop, pond, lounge in front of the TV?
~ jan :-)

Nothing but removing leaves - what a great weekend..! :-)

--
cu
Marco

Old 18-11-2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I sat in a tree waiting for bambi's kin. No visitors.

The frost wiped out the leaves on my exposed hyacinth and a bunch of
other stuff. I will put up the plastic shortly to prevent the cold
from icing the growth center of the hyacinth. Whe we just let the
leaves sit there until next year, they privide some insulation.

The temp has returned to almost 70 several times! Crazy!

Jim

Old 19-11-2007, 02:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
news
All is quiet in the ponding world. Did everyone have a busy weekend?

I know I need to take a water sample, as we had lots of rain, and there
are
also more leaves to pick up. The wind blew thru and hopefully dried them
out enough.

Prior to that though I've got KP duty, need to peel potatoes for a
pre-holiday dinner tomorrow at school.

So what did you do this weekend, shop, pond, lounge in front of the TV?
~ jan :-)
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

I hardly ventured outside this weekend after the sodding adventure (buried
pond clay with 3 yards of top soil and laid sod over a low spot in the lawn)
last weekend.

Tended to the myriad of indoor fish yesterday in order to catch up on their
maintenance.

Did some 'real work' today in order to pay for it all.

--
B.S.

P.S. Pond is also full of leaves, but they can wait, since the fish are warm
and snug indoors.

Old 19-11-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
news
So what did you do this weekend, shop, pond, lounge in front of the TV?
~ jan :-)

====================
I set up the Christmas Village for the holidays on Saturday. Today I went
shopping all afternoon. All's quiet with the ponds.
--
RM....
Zone 6. Middle TN USA

Old 21-11-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default pond update

well I think we are finally going to get a real freeze here tomorrow night. still
dont have the pond buttoned down, but I did dump some of the water celery into a
crate hung down in the water to act as a veggie filter for winter (come to think of
it, those koi can get thru that crate!!!!) So maybe that isnt going to work. sheesh.
it was just sitting there looking like it could be used.
I really, really got to get the pond covered and the heater in so my koi can keep
eating. Ingrid

Old 25-11-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:25:24 CST, wrote:

well I think we are finally going to get a real freeze here tomorrow night.

I got the last of the leaves picked up around the ponds. So happy to
actually have completed this before T-day. First time in a long time... if
ever. So now I can enjoy the holidays. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Spent a few minutes yesterday (Sat) thinning out the still thriving
Water Hyacinth and Water Lettuce. Tossed a couple large bucketfuls out.
Wonder when they will start to go dormant?

Preparing for major pond landscaping in a couple weeks.

Old 26-11-2007, 02:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:25:24 CST, wrote:

well I think we are finally going to get a real freeze here tomorrow
night.

I got the last of the leaves picked up around the ponds. So happy to
actually have completed this before T-day. First time in a long time...
if
ever. So now I can enjoy the holidays. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Spent a few minutes yesterday (Sat) thinning out the still thriving
Water Hyacinth and Water Lettuce. Tossed a couple large bucketfuls out.
Wonder when they will start to go dormant?

Preparing for major pond landscaping in a couple weeks.

Mine doesn't go dormant. It just dies after the first good frost and I net
it out. It goes on the compost pile.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.