Old 03-12-2007, 05:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default No ice on this pond

Not that I expected any ice. I live in one of the few states (I think
Hawai'i is the only other one) where they don't have any road signs
that say something like the overpass freezes before the rest of the
roadway. Here in Florida we firmly believe that ice belongs in
drinks, not on roads and certainly not on the sidewalk. We had sort
of a freeze here a while ago. I say sort of a freeze, because it got
some plants but not others, shoot, it even got just parts of some
plants. The banana plants got trashed, but right next to them there
is an elephant ear plant that has some leaves that got totally nuked,
but then on the same plant there are leaves that look totally
unscathed. There's another plant (I forget the name) that is
completely fine, until you get about 5 inches up, then it looks like
it got frozen silly. Not far away are the diplodinia, which are kinda
woody and have easily survived frosts before -- they've even kept on
blooming, but they got nailed. It's the freakiest and most uneven
freeze I've ever seen. I've still got dragonflies buzzing over the
pond, too many to count, and there are even some butterflies still
chasing after the flowers that remain.
--
Galen Hekhuis
Indecision may or may not be my problem...

Old 03-12-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:08:43 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

It's the freakiest and most uneven
freeze I've ever seen. I've still got dragonflies buzzing over the
pond, too many to count, and there are even some butterflies still
chasing after the flowers that remain.

I'll try to think kind thoughts of you tomorrow morning as I'm zipping
up against the 28 F and 20-25 mph winds we are supposed to get.
Checking Valdosta, GA weather, (33 F at 6 AM) looks like I'm among the
last to be blessed with the freezing temperatures going South.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 03-12-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

[...]

Nice here in Ventura. Gotta love So. Cal. No freeze. I've got Plumerias
that still have flowers! Florida without the humidity. ;-)

Old 03-12-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

It's the freakiest and most uneven
freeze I've ever seen. I've still got dragonflies buzzing over the
pond, too many to count, and there are even some butterflies still
chasing after the flowers that remain.

I'll try to think kind thoughts of you tomorrow morning as I'm zipping
up against the 28 F and 20-25 mph winds we are supposed to get.
Checking Valdosta, GA weather, (33 F at 6 AM) looks like I'm among the
last to be blessed with the freezing temperatures going South.

Valdosta is about 45min north of me. The weatherguessers say it might
get down to 35 or so Monday night, but then it begins to warm back up
and there are no freezing temperatures forecast for at least the next
10 days or so.
--
Galen Hekhuis
I have no idea what happened, but I assure you it was all proper.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kurt wrote:

Nice here in Ventura. Gotta love So. Cal. No freeze. I've got Plumerias
that still have flowers! Florida without the humidity. ;-)

Yeah, yeah. Around this time of year you southerners always get so smug :-)

It's snowing right now (across most of Canada, I understand), and the
salt-water pond pretty well froze over last night, but we got our last
tomatoes out of the greenhouse last week.
--
derek

Old 03-12-2007, 11:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
It's snowing right now (across most of Canada, I understand), and the
salt-water pond pretty well froze over last night, but we got our last
tomatoes out of the greenhouse last week.

=======================
My tomatoes in the greenhouse are still ripening fruit. No more blossoms
though except on the Patio Tomatoes. The peppers stopped blooming also.
I'll be picking the last peppers of this year soon.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

No ice yet on my fledgling pond although I do think the frost has
carried off the water hyacinths......main bugbear at the moment is that
the wind keeps blowing over the reeds but I always knew I'd need to
plant them more firmly in the spring when I can really get going on the
pond.....No fish to worry about of course this year as I've been holding
off til spring because of how late it was in the season when the pond
eventually got finished enough to fill.....I still like looking at it
though - and it does house frogs.....

Leaves haven't been bad with only the odd one going in the pond.....the
sycamores at the back have pretty much covered the top lawn and the side
passage by the house but the pond must get some protection from the bamboo

Gill

Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:39:58 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

Valdosta is about 45min north of me. The weatherguessers say it might
get down to 35 or so Monday night, but then it begins to warm back up
and there are no freezing temperatures forecast for at least the next
10 days or so.

I feel sure you won't have a pond problem, but I hope it doesn't get
cold enough to damage the navel oranges in Florida. I look forward to
a few of those each year. We had a bit of frost this morning and I
hope it will burn off the lantana foliage so I can get the brush out
of the way a little easier. The liner died on my 1000 gallon pond, so
I'll be filling in the hole with dirt from under the lantana, when I
get around to it.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 04-12-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:30:52 CST, Hal wrote:

I feel sure you won't have a pond problem, but I hope it doesn't get
cold enough to damage the navel oranges in Florida. I look forward to
a few of those each year. We had a bit of frost this morning and I
hope it will burn off the lantana foliage so I can get the brush out
of the way a little easier. The liner died on my 1000 gallon pond, so
I'll be filling in the hole with dirt from under the lantana, when I
get around to it.

That's a bummer about the liner, but then, never having had one
myself, I'm sure I don't fully understand the loss. The last owner of
the property tried to grow oranges, and was sort of successful in that
the first winter there were two sort of orange-like things hanging off
a sapling. The sapling never produced any fruit while I was here, and
last year it finally gave up the ghost and expired. Farther south
there should be no problems. The whole industry (which used to be
centered around Ocala, so I've been told) has pretty much moved below
the freezing line.

Seems like the Pacific northwest is getting slammed pretty hard. A
regular hurricane is pretty grim, but they've been getting the
equivalent of a near-freezing hurricane. Winds, flooding, storm
surge, everything and cold temperatures too! At least we have our bad
weather in the summer.
--
Galen Hekhuis
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand

Old 05-12-2007, 03:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:25:48 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

That's a bummer about the liner, but then, never having had one
myself, I'm sure I don't fully understand the loss.

I was planning to shut that larger pond down in the next few years
anyway, so it was just a surprise that changed my time table a bit.
Now I have all the filters hooked up to a much smaller goldfish pond
and that should work well with less maintenance.

The last owner of
the property tried to grow oranges, and was sort of successful in that
the first winter there were two sort of orange-like things hanging off
a sapling. The sapling never produced any fruit while I was here, and
last year it finally gave up the ghost and expired. Farther south
there should be no problems. The whole industry (which used to be
centered around Ocala, so I've been told) has pretty much moved below
the freezing line.

That's interesting. I lived in Orlando for a few months and about 4
years at Homestead (almost 50 years ago.) and enjoyed the warm winters
and the citrus fruits, but never considered their range of growth,
they were just good and it seemed like everyone with a yard had a
tree.

Seems like the Pacific northwest is getting slammed pretty hard. A
regular hurricane is pretty grim, but they've been getting the
equivalent of a near-freezing hurricane. Winds, flooding, storm
surge, everything and cold temperatures too! At least we have our bad
weather in the summer.

I looked at a map of the Southeastern US and you seem to have an ideal
location for Florida living, without doing a lot of rebuilding after
the hurricanes. I'm a bit jealous, I always wanted to have a bit of
farm land with lots of room to dig and grow things. It worked out
though, now I have more digging space than I want to work with my
small city lot and the grandchildren are near, so everybody is happy
here.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 05-12-2007, 03:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default snow snow snow

we are in it. not a "snow day" this time. I just gotta get thru this week, only two
lectures left to go and the final next Tuesday. then it can snow!!!

the pond started out at 36oF on Nov. 29, Thursday. I covered it, dropped in the
heater, ran hot water into the pond to top it up. The temp was 44oF the next day.
Yesterday the temp was 49oF, we are going into the single digits tonight, but I see
the fish are up hanging around the heater, pump and veggie filter (such as it is).
Looking for food. I will be feeding them when the temp hits 50. I still dont have
the curtain up around the pond area. sigh. winter came tooooo fast.

I count myself as very smart I married a younger man who can shovel the snow get my
car dug out and ready to go for me this morning. Rather than dig out his car too he
walked to work. He went out this morning and the woman next door was screaming
because HER husband didnt dig out her car (altho it is a jeep I think) and she and
her 6yo were stuck there and my sweet DH dug her out first. Now we have a snow
blower came with the house we bought but DH prefers a shovel. Next door woman has a
husband who is an engineer loves "gadgets" so I think we will loan the snow blower to
him let him clean the sidewalks. Our "frontage" is only 25' so it isnt that bad.

well going for another cup of coffee. later. Ingrid

Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered User

I will try to think kind thoughts you tomorrow morning, I hit the 28th floor, compression and decompression and 20 to 25 miles the wind, we should get. Valdosta check the weather in the genetic algorithm, (f 33 in the morning 06 points) looks like I finally Fortunately, the freezing temperature south.
Pond Kits

Rate This Thread: