Old 05-12-2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Winter and Netting

Some of you may remember we strung up pond netting from deck to fence
because of the dying maple. Little did I realize that a little wet snow
would cause it to come crashing down. I've never seen anyone ever mention
this. ??? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 05-12-2007, 03:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
Some of you may remember we strung up pond netting from deck to fence
because of the dying maple. Little did I realize that a little wet snow
would cause it to come crashing down. I've never seen anyone ever mention
this. ??? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Yup.
The first year we put up netting around our semi raised pond, the same thing
happened.

I had spar like pieces of wood screwed into the sleepers (railway ties for
the US) at intervals around the pond, so we could raise them as and when
needed for the net.

The first heavy snow (the ONLY snow really), and I was looking into a pile
of trapped snow that had pulled the spars from their screws and was covering
the surface of the pond.
Luckily the filter return kept a small open bit.

Peter

Old 05-12-2007, 03:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 21:33:33 CST, ~ jan wrote:

Some of you may remember we strung up pond netting from deck to fence
because of the dying maple. Little did I realize that a little wet snow
would cause it to come crashing down. I've never seen anyone ever mention
this. ??? ~ jan

I haven't had any snow for several years now, but I am considering
some netting since I moved the pipe vine to a lattice near the pond.
I've been dipping leaves daily and some are still going through the
bottom drain. I'm hoping a fence around such a small pond will be
adequate instead of covering, that way it will be easier to keep
feeding.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 05-12-2007, 04:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:47:34 CST, "2pods" wrote:

Yup.
The first year we put up netting around our semi raised pond, the same thing
happened.

I had spar like pieces of wood screwed into the sleepers (railway ties for
the US) at intervals around the pond, so we could raise them as and when
needed for the net.

The first heavy snow (the ONLY snow really), and I was looking into a pile
of trapped snow that had pulled the spars from their screws and was covering
the surface of the pond.
Luckily the filter return kept a small open bit.
Peter

I wish I had known. We only had an inch, but it was wet snow. Here I had it
all nice and clean under the netting and now all leafy again. The ponds are
covered with mosquito screen, so nothing entered them, thankfully. Course,
as often happens here, soon after the snow we had Chinook winds and it
probably would have been all leafy down there again anyway. Hopefully we'll
have a nice enough weekend so I can clean up. The latest wind striped all
the leaves off the trees around us, so hopefully very few will move in
future winds (she said wishfully). ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 05-12-2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
Some of you may remember we strung up pond netting from deck to fence
because of the dying maple. Little did I realize that a little wet snow
would cause it to come crashing down. I've never seen anyone ever mention
this. ??? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

====================================
I don't allow leaves to accumulate on my nets. Most blow off on their own.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:47:39 CST, wrote:

really surprising. it took 55" of snow to bring the greenhouse over our pond
crashing down. Ingrid

You get 55" of snow!!!!! Yikes, pictures? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:47:56 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

I don't allow leaves to accumulate on my nets. Most blow off on their own.

It wasn't accumulated leaves, it was a bit of wet snow. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-12-2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

here is picture of the smooshed greenhouse
http://weloveteaching.com/hopepond/greenhouse.html
but I cannot find pictures of the snow. I tried to google for that snowstorm, but
didnt find anything. it wasnt one shot, it was 2 or 3 storms within a week or so
that hit.. I think it was Dec 2000 or ?? anyway, we had already moved into town. My
friend the Pond Lady was talking about a couple of her greenhouses collapsing too. My
mother couldnt see from the house that ours was also collapsed. So we didnt do
anything. that year all the fish that were in those ponds died. the koi had already
been moved to their new pond in town. Ingrid

Old 06-12-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
I don't allow leaves to accumulate on my nets. Most blow off on their own.

It wasn't accumulated leaves, it was a bit of wet snow. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Hi Jan, we cover our raised pond with window screening - over a
network of strong pvc pipes and 2 x 2's. We also found out a framework
of some kind was needed....the hard way, like you. We used to do it
with netting but beneficial snakes kept getting caught in it and we
got tired of having to save their lives with scissors and patience and
holding the snakes. One of 'em was 6' long and kept curling his tail
around my bare legs under the nightie I had on. DD had discovered it
about 9:30 one evening, and altho she hates them, insisted on us
saving it's life.
We do try to blow or suck all the leaves off as they do get heavy with
water and snow.

Nan

Old 07-12-2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:36:57 CST, wrote:

here is picture of the smooshed greenhouse
http://weloveteaching.com/hopepond/greenhouse.html
but I cannot find pictures of the snow. I tried to google for that snowstorm, but
didnt find anything. it wasnt one shot, it was 2 or 3 storms within a week or so
that hit.. I think it was Dec 2000 or ?? anyway, we had already moved into town. My
friend the Pond Lady was talking about a couple of her greenhouses collapsing too. My
mother couldnt see from the house that ours was also collapsed. So we didnt do
anything. that year all the fish that were in those ponds died. the koi had already
been moved to their new pond in town. Ingrid

I remember this story. I thought you were talking of something new that had
happened at your current pond location. :-) Glad all has worked well
there. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 07-12-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:16:19 CST, Olde Hippee wrote:

Hi Jan, we cover our raised pond with window screening - over a
network of strong pvc pipes and 2 x 2's. We also found out a framework
of some kind was needed....the hard way, like you. Nan

Ditto, thankfully the ponds were covered with window screening, and I use
1x6's for support, lots of them, so everything was find under the netting.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 07-12-2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
here is picture of the smooshed greenhouse
http://weloveteaching.com/hopepond/greenhouse.html

Yikes!

I'll be thinking of you as I am out goose hunting this weekend - where
the daytime temp is expected to get to 76... ;-)

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

Old 08-12-2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Dec 4, 8:33 pm, ~ jan wrote:
Some of you may remember we strung up pond netting from deck to fence
because of the dying maple. Little did I realize that a little wet snow
would cause it to come crashing down. I've never seen anyone ever mention
this. ??? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

I have had a foot of snow on my netting before I knocked it off! The
Unsupported part of the netting really hung low; but it did not
break! It was attached to strong supports and the top supports kept
the whole net from hanging down as a whole! I later added strong wire
supports from the pole ends you see on the top and attached them from
the end to 3 spread out places on the opposite wall!:

http://wolfbat359.com/catcage.html

specifically:

http://wolfbat359.com/catcage104.jpg

http://wolfbat359.com/catcage109.jpg

http://wolfbat359.com/catcage112.jpg

http://wolfbat359.com/catcage123.jpg

Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:49:08 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

I have had a foot of snow on my netting before I knocked it off! The
Unsupported part of the netting really hung low; but it did not
break!
http://wolfbat359.com/catcage.html

Definitely lack of support did it in. We just had it suspended the full
distance (28') except for a rope in the middle.

Too cold now to go out and clean up the leaves, but the screens are clear,
so that's the important thing.

Went out to add water, and I guess I didn't drain the hose as well as I
thought, frozen, so it is inside warming up.s ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: