Old 07-12-2007, 04:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond covers

I left the fish in their indoor pond after the outdoor pond renovations, as
it was too cool to move them back outdoors. But since the pond is in a cool
part of the basement (entryway), the water is down to 52° now. Making the
room warmer is not really an option, at least not in the short term. So I
plan to use their outdoor heater (newly replaced) to keep them at 68° or so.
But I was thinking that a hot tub blanket might make this more feasible and
reduce my heating costs.

I was looking at this one:
http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Floatin...kets-C637.aspx

But this presents a minor problem for filter return and feeding. If I leave
a large hole for the filter return to drain into will this be sufficient
aeration? Any chance these blankets are treated with bactericide?

Old 07-12-2007, 03:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:01:24 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

I left the fish in their indoor pond after the outdoor pond renovations, as
it was too cool to move them back outdoors. But since the pond is in a cool
part of the basement (entryway), the water is down to 52° now. Making the
room warmer is not really an option, at least not in the short term. So I
plan to use their outdoor heater (newly replaced) to keep them at 68° or so.
But I was thinking that a hot tub blanket might make this more feasible and
reduce my heating costs.

I was looking at this one:
http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Floatin...kets-C637.aspx

But this presents a minor problem for filter return and feeding. If I leave
a large hole for the filter return to drain into will this be sufficient
aeration? Any chance these blankets are treated with bactericide?

I would fully expect it is treated. Any reason not to let them go thru a
dormant period? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 07-12-2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I left the fish in their indoor pond after the outdoor pond renovations, as
it was too cool to move them back outdoors. But since the pond is in a cool
part of the basement (entryway), the water is down to 52° now.

===========================
That is not too cold for pond fish. I wouldn't bother to try and keep them
warmer. They go through winter here just fine outdoors. The water gets a lot
colder than 52.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

the cooler you keep the fish, the less upkeep you will need to perform. the cooler,
the less feeding, the less waste.
that "blanket" should not be on top of the water, it can be above the pond and will
definitely keep the heat in. yes, it will stop aeration and maybe it is
bactericidal, you need to ask. I am sending DH for cheap bubble wrap from Uhaul
today for a second layer over the first layer of plastic. Ingrid

Old 08-12-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Yes, it too cold for them to eat now, that's why I'd like to warm them up. I
was considering some kind of tarp with bungee cords on top of the stock
tank, which would solve my aeration problem, but may not hlp much with
insulation. The heater is fighting a losing battle at the moment, so I'll be
turning it off until I find a better solution.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

ahh.. what kind of stock tank, plastic or metal? where is it located?
If it is metal you will need to get an insulating blanket all around it, even under
it to keep the heat in. pink foam insulation for under will stand up to weight I
think. any kind of foam from upholstery store or fabric store should work with
plastic around that.
if it is plastic rubbermaid type stock tank, it is insulated already and only need
insulation over the top. clear plastic to let light in. bubble wrap better.
even with the heater on the outside temp will dip. but it is better for the immunity
of the fish to stay closer to 50o even if they arent eating.
Ingrid

Old 10-12-2007, 12:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
. com...
ahh.. what kind of stock tank, plastic or metal? where is it located?
If it is metal you will need to get an insulating blanket all around it,
even under
it to keep the heat in. pink foam insulation for under will stand up to
weight I
think. any kind of foam from upholstery store or fabric store should work
with
plastic around that.
if it is plastic rubbermaid type stock tank, it is insulated already and
only need
insulation over the top. clear plastic to let light in. bubble wrap
better.
even with the heater on the outside temp will dip. but it is better for
the immunity
of the fish to stay closer to 50o even if they arent eating.
Ingrid

Yes, it's a plastic RubberMaid sitting on some indoor-outdoor carpet in the
basement entryway. I was considering wrapping the outside in some kind of
insulation, but I guess it's not necessary. I doubt that the temp would drop
below 50 even if it does get colder outside. They don't normally get any
light, so it doesn't matter if it's a translucent cover or not.

I found out why the heat wasn't holding though, my new heater stopped
working after a few hours. After some invetigation I discovered that a wire
had come loose inside the heater control. It's working again now and holding
them at 66 with no problem.

Old 13-12-2007, 03:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

once the temp is above 55 or so then they need food occasionally. how's the water
parameters?

Old 14-12-2007, 05:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
. com...
once the temp is above 55 or so then they need food occasionally. how's
the water
parameters?

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 18:45:25 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:
It's working again now and holding them at 66 with no problem.

Ammonia & Nitrites OK. Haven't checked Nitrates recently, but they have not
een fed sinc ethe temp dropped.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Is There any good looking pond covers DD DDD Ponds 1 26-03-2005 02:54 PM
chinese wolfberry and other edible ground covers sam Gardening 0 26-05-2003 10:08 AM
Lighting and glass covers question Robert Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
Metal Drain Covers? Ada Gardening 1 06-04-2003 01:08 AM
fountain covers Niall United Kingdom 4 14-03-2003 04:44 PM