Old 18-12-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Great Blue Heron - How Big of Fish Will They Eat?

OK, this is becoming a daily occurrence, a GBH flying up and perching on a
tree limb high above the pond or strolling around the pond perimeter. No
real danger now because the pond is covered with netting and the fish are
resting comfortably on the bottom of the pond. My 3,000 gallon pond is 18"
at it's shallowest but I'm guessing that any fish in this range is a
tempting target for the GBH. Here's my question: How big a fish will the GBH
eat? I have three Koi that will go over 10 lbs each, surely they aren't at
risk, are they?

Old 18-12-2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

JB wrote:

OK, this is becoming a daily occurrence, a GBH flying up and perching on a
tree limb high above the pond or strolling around the pond perimeter. No
real danger now because the pond is covered with netting and the fish are
resting comfortably on the bottom of the pond. My 3,000 gallon pond is 18"
at it's shallowest but I'm guessing that any fish in this range is a
tempting target for the GBH. Here's my question: How big a fish will the
GBH eat? I have three Koi that will go over 10 lbs each, surely they
aren't at risk, are they?

Herons don't seem capable of telling how big a fish they can manager. They
have been known to skewer some pretty big fish (though 10lbs sounds bigger
than anything I've heard of) and leave them dieing beside the pond when
they realize they can't fly off with them.
--
derek

Old 18-12-2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JB" wrote in message
OK, this is becoming a daily occurrence, a GBH flying up and perching on a
tree limb high above the pond or strolling around the pond perimeter. No
real danger now because the pond is covered with netting and the fish are
resting comfortably on the bottom of the pond.

If he can reach them through the netting he will kill them although not able
to pull them through the net. The GB here has killed several of my
beautiful goldfish. They pull on them and pull on them before giving up,
leaving the fish paralyzed and sliced into their flesh. Then they try
another,.... just to leave it dying in the tank and go after another. They
probably manage to manipulate the smaller ones through the netting. He put
a deep gash in my Goldie's head a few weeks ago. She's at least 10 years
old and quite large. They're strong enough to flip a large fish onto the
ground. Rip off their fill and leave the rest to rot. We're having a
serious problem here with this bird.

My 3,000 gallon pond is 18"
at it's shallowest but I'm guessing that any fish in this range is a
tempting target for the GBH. Here's my question: How big a fish will the
GBH eat? I have three Koi that will go over 10 lbs each, surely they
aren't at risk, are they?

Indeed they are. The GBH can do enough damage through a net to cause the
fishes death even if it can't flip the fish onto the bank. These birds are
bad news to fish keepers.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 18-12-2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote:
"JB" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

I mounted my netting 2' above the surface of the pond , which was up to 4'
deep. After netting, I had no more losses from GBH (San Fernando Valley).

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 19-12-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Reel McKoi" wrote:
"JB" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

I mounted my netting 2' above the surface of the pond , which was up to 4'
deep. After netting, I had no more losses from GBH (San Fernando Valley).

=======================
Yes, that's what I did with my in-ground ponds but I can't do that above my
720g grow out tanks. I would have to raise the sides 2' with hardware cloth
or 4x2" X 4' fencing. That's a big job and not cheap. The nets are only
about 6" above the surface of the water. The GH reaches right through the
netting and grabs them, then kills them trying to force them through so he
can swallow them.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-12-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

"Reel McKoi" wrote:
"JB" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

I mounted my netting 2' above the surface of the pond , which was up to 4'
deep. After netting, I had no more losses from GBH (San Fernando Valley).

This is what my budddy in Sedona does.

Old 19-12-2007, 03:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We used to have a rhyme that went:

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
A woodchuck would chuck all he could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck
wood.

I think the same principle applies to

How many fish would an heron catch if an heron could catch fish?

Jim

Old 19-12-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Reel McKoi" wrote:
"JB" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

I mounted my netting 2' above the surface of the pond . . . .

=======================
. . . I can't do that above my 720g grow out tanks. . . .

The ones I got were similar to these, but higher. I think I got them at
Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KE4U8Y?...xtag-kitchen-m
p-20&linkCode=asn

http://tinyurl.com/2fx52l (same)

My pond was 8' x 8' x 2' to 4'.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 20-12-2007, 01:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
The ones I got were similar to these, but higher. I think I got them at
Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KE4U8Y?...xtag-kitchen-m
p-20&linkCode=asn

and

http://tinyurl.com/2fx52l (same)

That's what I use around the inground ponds. They wont work on the above
ground tanks.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 20-12-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

"Reel McKoi" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Reel McKoi" wrote:
"JB" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
I mounted my netting 2' above the surface of the pond . . . .

=======================
. . . I can't do that above my 720g grow out tanks. . . .

The ones I got were similar to these, but higher. I think I got them at
Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KE4U8Y?...xtag-kitchen-m
p-20&linkCode=asn

http://tinyurl.com/2fx52l (same)

My pond was 8' x 8' x 2' to 4'.

I was thinking that another cheap way to make a cage for the netting
would be to construct it out of pvc pipe.
You get the gray (electrical) PVC and a bunch of elbows, and you can one
that also dismantles easily.
I'm going to try this for mine and will post pix.

Old 20-12-2007, 02:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

We used to have a rhyme that went:

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
A woodchuck would chuck all he could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck
wood.

I think the same principle applies to

How many fish would an heron catch if an heron could catch fish?

Jim

You can tuna fish but you can't tuna heron.

Old 20-12-2007, 03:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
The ones I got were similar to these, but higher. I think I got them at
Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KE4U8Y?...xtag-kitchen-m
p-20&linkCode=asn

and

http://tinyurl.com/2fx52l (same)

That's what I use around the inground ponds. They wont work on the above
ground tanks.

Don't know what above ground tanks look like other than squares, you
just add height to base.

Old 20-12-2007, 05:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kurt wrote:
[ . . . ]

I was thinking that another cheap way to make a cage for the netting
would be to construct it out of pvc pipe.

I have a friend who builds almost anything out of PVC pipe. Ingenuity is
the key!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 20-12-2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

http://tinyurl.com/2fx52l (same)

My pond was 8' x 8' x 2' to 4'.

I was thinking that another cheap way to make a cage for the netting
would be to construct it out of pvc pipe.
You get the gray (electrical) PVC and a bunch of elbows, and you can one
that also dismantles easily.
I'm going to try this for mine and will post pix.

Since GBH don't seem to be able to step over things, seems a run of heavy
duty fish line at knee height a foot from the pond would discourage it,
along with the netting, couldn't walk in close enough, and wouldn't fly
right down beside it. I could be wrong..... But it is cheap, and gardening
stakes would be all that is needed to assemble. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Great Blue Heron Dan Spalluto Ponds (moderated) 10 16-10-2009 01:31 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 9 13-09-2004 02:33 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Lisa Ponds 2 01-07-2004 07:02 PM