Old 29-12-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond plans for New Year

Does anyone have interesting pond plans for next year? Enlarging their
pond. Redoing it? New filters? Better predator protection? Anything?
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-12-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

Does anyone have interesting pond plans for next year? Enlarging their
pond. Redoing it? New filters? Better predator protection? Anything?

Relandscaping mine in January. Bigger pump and filter.

Old 30-12-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:24:07 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

Does anyone have interesting pond plans for next year? Enlarging their
pond. Redoing it? New filters? Better predator protection? Anything?

Planning to reconfigure for a a bottom drain, a skimmer, and replumb
in April/May. Might add a second waterfall as part of the redesign.

Right now the pond is virtually dead as my pump died a few weeks ago
and I've not bought a new one.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Old 30-12-2007, 02:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Mike Patterson wrote:

Planning to reconfigure for a a bottom drain, a skimmer, and replumb
in April/May. Might add a second waterfall as part of the redesign.

Most of you that replied are changing and adding plumbing. For the
novice that is now planning to get into the pond construction. What is
the WORST decision you made when you built your pond(s)? The BEST?

Chip

Old 30-12-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Chip" wrote in message ...
Mike Patterson wrote:

Planning to reconfigure for a a bottom drain, a skimmer, and replumb
in April/May. Might add a second waterfall as part of the redesign.

Most of you that replied are changing and adding plumbing. For the novice
that is now planning to get into the pond construction. What is the WORST
decision you made when you built your pond(s)? The BEST?

==================================
We didn't use a concrete berm at the start so the berm started to collapse
after a few years. We finally had to pull the liners and redo the berms on
both ponds. No small job. It now has a cement berm with rebar going deep in
to the ground and bars in the concrete itself to prevent cracking or moving.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-12-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
Relandscaping mine in January. Bigger pump and filter.

==================
I started some new landscaping last fall. Next spring there will be more
flowers and less plain greenery.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-12-2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our tiny patio pond's filter pump died on Christmas Eve.
(five year old Hozelock Cyprio Titan 2000 on 24/7. That's what I call
service :-) )

Yesterday I canniblised bits from a hefty waterfall pump and got the filter
running again.
This will see me through until 3rd January when the place I buy pumps from
reopens I thought.

Wrong !
This morning about two thirds of the water has gone.
The pump was still running, so I think I have stupidly ripped the liner when
replacing the pump.

So it will prolly be a new pump, new liner, and frostbite for my new year.

Peter

Old 30-12-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"2pods" wrote in message
Our tiny patio pond's filter pump died on Christmas Eve.
(five year old Hozelock Cyprio Titan 2000 on 24/7. That's what I call
service :-) )

Yesterday I canniblised bits from a hefty waterfall pump and got the
filter running again.
This will see me through until 3rd January when the place I buy pumps from
reopens I thought.

Wrong !
This morning about two thirds of the water has gone.
The pump was still running, so I think I have stupidly ripped the liner
when replacing the pump.

===========================
What a bummer! You may be able to repair the liner if the hole or slit
isn't too large. I saw tape somewhere for even larger tears in liners.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-12-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:48:46 CST, Chip wrote:

Most of you that replied are changing and adding plumbing. For the
novice that is now planning to get into the pond construction. What is
the WORST decision you made when you built your pond(s)? The BEST?

Chip

If I knew then what I know now my koi pond would have been one big pond
with bottom drain(s). Even though it is pretty as is, I would like to have
more gallons for my fish. I've had to sell a lot of fish due to them
growing. The current koi pond now has a vacuum bottom drain & skimmer added
after the fact.

I also think I would have saved/spent more money and put in vortex filters.
My DIY filter is fine, doesn't require a lot of maintenance, but it would
be so nice to just pull a gate valve to drain and hose down, rather than
what I currently do. There is a big difference agility-wise between the
ages of 41 and 53 so I've found out. At least I won't be doing the demon
pond next summer so that will save my back for my own yard work.

The lily pond was done after I was a little smarter, why it was put in with
a bottom drain and skimmer thru the liner. Even if it took 6 years to
finally get the filter connected. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 30-12-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:14:23 CST, "2pods" wrote:

Our tiny patio pond's filter pump died on Christmas Eve.
(five year old Hozelock Cyprio Titan 2000 on 24/7. That's what I call
service :-) )

Yesterday I canniblised bits from a hefty waterfall pump and got the filter
running again.
This will see me through until 3rd January when the place I buy pumps from
reopens I thought.

Wrong !
This morning about two thirds of the water has gone.
The pump was still running, so I think I have stupidly ripped the liner when
replacing the pump.

So it will prolly be a new pump, new liner, and frostbite for my new year.

Is this a fountain where the wind could have blown the water out? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 30-12-2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Finishing mine. main digging is done, need to slope bottom for bottom drain,
level perimeter for footings. Pour footings, build block walls 5ft high,
install TPR's, skimmer. Dig a hole for a 400 gallon settling chamber, dig
filter pit, put liner in hole & fill.
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Speak softly and carry a loaded .45
Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy
Web Site: www.destarr.com

Old 31-12-2007, 05:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
cnb cnb is offline

"Reel McKoi" wrote:

Does anyone have interesting pond plans for next year? Enlarging their
pond. Redoing it? New filters? Better predator protection? Anything?

Yep. I currently limp along with a 5000 Gallon pond. Adding a nearby
building. Adding a 400 Sq ft deck by the stream and canyon/cave
wall. landscaping to add in 12ft by 15ft planter.

May add another pond in the spring.

Old 31-12-2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Mike Patterson wrote:

Planning to reconfigure for a a bottom drain, a skimmer, and replumb
in April/May. Might add a second waterfall as part of the redesign.

Most of you that replied are changing and adding plumbing. For the
novice that is now planning to get into the pond construction. What is
the WORST decision you made when you built your pond(s)? The BEST?

Chip

Worst decision?

Not to wait, save up the $$, take the time to do it right and
incorporate the bottom drain and skimmer in the first place.

I had the design right, but I got impatient.

Mike

Old 31-12-2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:14:23 CST, "2pods" wrote:

Our tiny patio pond's filter pump died on Christmas Eve.
(five year old Hozelock Cyprio Titan 2000 on 24/7. That's what I call

So it will prolly be a new pump, new liner, and frostbite for my new year.

Is this a fountain where the wind could have blown the water out? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

No, it was a pressurised filter return (pond is about 8' x 4'), but it
seems its either the black ribbed hose cracked, or the filter itself, so
I've taken the pump out, refilled and added dechlor.
Fish seem happy so far touches wood/

Hopefully this will see them OK until the January pump appears.

peter

Old 31-12-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Since that new rubbermade tub cracked, yet another year I'll have to try to
come up with a decent filter system. The pond is overstocked, so I'll have
to sell of some of the larger fish to the local pet shop again.

I'll, really getting quite tired of having to rebuild a filter every single
year, and living in the boondocks makes it hard to find hardware to cobble
one up at a reasonable price. I'll try the farmer's supply store, and see if
I can find something with a cover, but i also think I want something I can
put a drain in teh bottom of, with a line so I can just hose it off from
opening the lid, rather then taking the mess apart to clean it every week or
so.

Since the water visibility has been so bad the last year or so, the pond is
becomming more work then it's worth.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Pond Plans for this Year [email protected] Ponds (moderated) 0 22-03-2007 04:01 PM
Pond Plans for this Year Bonnie NJ Ponds (moderated) 1 22-03-2007 03:59 PM
New pond plans Derek Broughton Ponds 8 27-05-2005 01:41 PM
New Topic 2 - Plans for Next Year ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 55 24-02-2005 11:45 PM
New Topic 2 - Plans for Next Year ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 0 11-01-2005 05:58 AM