GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   OT Flooding of Group (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/169747-ot-flooding-group.html)

~ jan[_3_] 30-12-2007 08:48 PM

OT Flooding of Group

Dear RPMembers,

As many of you discovered, there is a flaw in the system, or should I say
leak to be on topic? ;-)

Rest assured we have a team checking into this. Though some are claiming
responsibility or pointing fingers at formerly known RP trolls, we do not
believe this to be the case.

The important thing to keep in mind during a flood is, go to high ground
and wait. Those using news readers can easily delete them and if using
google you'll have to scroll over them.

If you posted anything prior to or during a flood, please repost
afterwards. We think it is important to return to normal asap.

As far as comments on a flood you may post them under this topic heading.

Thank you, your moderating team
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Nick Cramer[_2_] 30-12-2007 09:14 PM

OT Flooding of Group

~ jan wrote:
Dear RPMembers,

As many of you discovered, there is a flaw in the system, or should I say
leak to be on topic? ;-)

Thanks for the update. I was surprised to see that they had breached 'our'
NG. Hope the problem is solved,

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Phyllis and Jim 30-12-2007 09:50 PM

OT Flooding of Group

Thanks, Nick.

Jim

Reel McKoi[_14_] 30-12-2007 10:33 PM

OT Flooding of Group

"~ jan" wrote in message
Dear RPMembers,

As many of you discovered, there is a flaw in the system, or should I say
leak to be on topic? ;-)

Rest assured we have a team checking into this. Though some are claiming
responsibility or pointing fingers at formerly known RP trolls, we do not
believe this to be the case.

The important thing to keep in mind during a flood is, go to high ground
and wait. Those using news readers can easily delete them and if using
google you'll have to scroll over them.

If you posted anything prior to or during a flood, please repost
afterwards. We think it is important to return to normal asap.

As far as comments on a flood you may post them under this topic heading.

====================================
There are many many groups being flooded. I read on another newsgroup
they're originating somewhere in the UK.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Kathy Morgan 31-12-2007 04:25 AM

OT Flooding of Group

~ jan wrote:

The important thing to keep in mind during a flood is, go to high ground
and wait. Those using news readers can easily delete them and if using
google you'll have to scroll over them.

Another option to consider is to change news servers. Most well managed
servers are able to pretty successfully filter out floods, so that their
users never even see them. For instance, I'm using SuperNews and there
are no flood posts in this group on this server.

--
Kathy - not a ponder, I was just checking out a report I saw elsewhere
claiming that this group was being flooded.

Kathy Morgan 31-12-2007 03:55 PM

OT Flooding of Group

wrote:

There were at least 5235 flood posts. [...]
Supernews caught the flood and stopped it after 128 posts. Within a
couple hours they had also gone into their storage drives and removed
all 128 posts.

Yes--by the time I checked in here, the flood posts had already been
removed so I never saw them.

Supernews is a premium nsp, and that means $$ for most people,
unless their isp contracts with Supernews.
But Supernews is at the forefront of combating usenet abuse,
including spam and flooding.
All in all its a _great_ nsp. I recommend them highly.

Yes, same here. I'm paying US $42.95/year for my account, which is
pretty much the basic minimump; I'm interested only in the text groups.

I think Supernews is better, but NewsGuy is also a good service and
they're slightly cheaper. Their basic account is $39.95 for a year, and
they are also good at filtering out the floods.

--
Kathy - If you're reading this in your web browser from Google or
similar forum, NNTP "newsreaders" are a better way to access the

Raving 31-12-2007 03:57 PM

OT Flooding of Group

On Dec 30, 11:54 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 22:25:54 CST, (Kathy Morgan)
wrote:

~ jan wrote:

The important thing to keep in mind during a flood is, go to high ground
and wait. Those using news readers can easily delete them and if using
google you'll have to scroll over them.

Another option to consider is to change news servers. Most well managed
servers are able to pretty successfully filter out floods, so that their
users never even see them. For instance, I'm using SuperNews and there
are no flood posts in this group on this server.

Hi Kathy,
There were at least 5235 flood posts. I use several nsp's and
found them on most of the servers.
You are right about Supernews. It is my primary nsp.
Supernews caught the flood and stopped it after 128 posts. Within a
couple hours they had also gone into their storage drives and removed
all 128 posts.
Supernews is a premium nsp, and that means $$ for most people,
unless their isp contracts with Supernews.
But Supernews is at the forefront of combating usenet abuse,
including spam and flooding.
All in all its a _great_ nsp. I recommend them highly.

ron schompert

So there might be a motive in this madness? Interesting. ...

Cordially,

Raving

Kathy Morgan 31-12-2007 09:16 PM

OT Flooding of Group

G Pearce wrote:

My ISP uses "NewsGuy" and they are all showing up here

Oh, that's a disappointment. They used to do better. :-(

Pete C[_2_] 01-01-2008 01:30 AM

OT Flooding of Group

~ jan wrote:
[...]

Not seen a thing.....using german server. NIN.......good filters I guess
--
Pete C
London UK

Kurt[_2_] 02-01-2008 12:06 AM

OT Flooding of Group

In article ,
(Kathy Morgan) wrote:

wrote:

[...]

NewsGuy has very proactive and responsive support. I'd be with them if i
didn't already have GigaNews -which is fine.

Derek Broughton 02-01-2008 03:33 PM

OT Flooding of Group

Kurt wrote:

In article ,
(Kathy Morgan) wrote:

wrote:

There were at least 5235 flood posts. [...]
Supernews caught the flood and stopped it after 128 posts. Within a
couple hours they had also gone into their storage drives and removed
all 128 posts.

Yes--by the time I checked in here, the flood posts had already been
removed so I never saw them.

Supernews is a premium nsp, and that means $$ for most people,
unless their isp contracts with Supernews.
But Supernews is at the forefront of combating usenet abuse,
including spam and flooding.
All in all its a _great_ nsp. I recommend them highly.

Yes, same here. I'm paying US $42.95/year for my account, which is
pretty much the basic minimump; I'm interested only in the text groups.

I never saw a single one of those posts on individual.net, which costs me
around $14 a year (10 euros, I think).
--
derek

Chris Barnes 03-01-2008 03:35 PM

OT Flooding of Group

Kathy Morgan wrote:
Another option to consider is to change news servers. Most well managed
servers are able to pretty successfully filter out floods, so that their
users never even see them. For instance, I'm using SuperNews and there
are no flood posts in this group on this server.

I took the holidays off from the 'net, but when I returned (yesterday),
I didn't see any of the flood either.

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

Hal[_1_] 04-01-2008 05:11 PM

OT Flooding of Group

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:34:09 CST, wrote:

Generally speaking, our software, and the diligence of the
moderators, have done an excellent job in preserving the integrity
of this newsgroup for the past 10 months, in my opinion.

You and those people have my gratitude for the job you are doing.
Again, I thank you!

Might I offer a suggestion for those of you effected by the flood. I
use Agent, it is a newsreader for people who enjoy reading newsgroups
and has several nice features one of which is a watch filter. I have
a watch filter for most of you because I enjoy reading your posts and
when a flood occurs, I simply look for my watch filters and enjoy
reading what you have to offer instead of sorting through a flood to
find pond related posts.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

~ jan[_3_] 05-01-2008 02:06 AM

OT Flooding of Group

Hi Hal,

I agree with your recommendation for Agent. I have used it for
over 11 years, and have the highest praise for it (at least for the
old version 1.93.)
I find the newer versions much, much too complicated. I think
1.93 was the best ever made. It makes reading newsgroups so very
easy. I've tried other newsreaders, and nothing else comes close.
(However, I strongly discourage persons new to Agent from getting any
of the versions over 1.93.)

I'm running 3.3 and haven't had any problems with it. And Ron, you're more
computer geek than I am. ;-)

I'm not even sure who all the moderators are now.

Current mods a
Myself
Galen
Jim
Phyllis
Kathy

You're more than welcome, we appreciate the gratitude. :-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us