Old 13-01-2008, 05:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond add value?

It could be really hard to work out a design to remove our pond! It
lies between two decks. Maybe decking over a filled pond?

Jim

Old 13-01-2008, 08:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My koi pond with a built in (thereby leak proof) veggie filter is VERY low
maintenance. In fact, the entire back yard is low maintenance with NO, I repeat NO
grass anywhere. The back yard is set up for entertaining or just having dinner out
in the back yard and enjoying watching the fish (with lights in the evening is even
more wonderful) and listening to the splash of the waterfall. People do just love
our backyard with pond. even the next door neighbors say they love to hear the
waterfall. Ingrid

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:10:38 CST, San Diego Joe wrote:
I don't think you can say pond & low maintenance in the same sentence

Old 13-01-2008, 10:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

even the next door neighbors say they love to hear the
waterfall. Ingrid

Before we put in our ponds the boys had their forts in the area. The next
door neighbors put in trees to block this "view". Course it wasn't long...
maybe 2 years, that eldest son was okay with tearing them out and putting
in ponds, so the ponds were originally his idea.

Over the years the neighbors have slowly been pruning up, and I think
they're planning to do more. The next pruning will get the lower limbs that
tend to hang over our yard. Not that I'm complaining.... these have been
great neighbors, but I won't miss the extra leaves and especially the
sweetgum balls that are tossed hither and yond.

Since we have a nice neighbor fence between us, they even bring guests out
to look at the ponds. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-01-2008, 12:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
It could be really hard to work out a design to remove our pond! It
lies between two decks. Maybe decking over a filled pond?

Jim

I am 95% certain that I will design my conversion from pool to pond so
that the pool is recoverable easily(?) for the new owners. That way
they have a choice and I have a more easy to sell house.

Here in PHX there is a fairly good business in decking over closed down
pools to add patio space in the backyard and stop the maintainability
problems.

Chip

Old 15-01-2008, 02:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
Thanks everyone, seems the consensus is that it wouldn't distract or add
value, so price the house, as a house and yard.

And.... don't do as Peter's friend did, sell off or give away equipment
till the deal is sealed. That is really sad. Hope he finds a buyer soon.

I would have a BIG problem if I had to sell my house to someone who was
requiring I fill in my ponds. Hope I never have to deal with that. ~ jan

==============================
You can always take a few thou off the price of the house and let them fill
it in themselves.
--
RM....
Zone 6. Middle TN USA

Old 15-01-2008, 02:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Jerseyj" wrote in message
When we bought our house having a pond (since totally rebuilt :-( )
was a selling point and we would never have asked the previous owners to
fill it in!

======================
If we, or I, ever have to sell this place I plan to pull off the filters and
nets and get rid of the fish. I'll make the ponds look as natural as
possible and hope for the best. If that doesn't work I'll knock off a few
thou and let the buyer worry about filling the ponds in. If that also fails
I guess I'll have to get a few loads of soil and hire someone to fill in
the two holes and level the ground.

As we get older we're finding these ponds to be a bit much work. Add a
little burn-out after 13 years. We've been talking about getting rid of the
fish and filters and letting nature have the ponds.......
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered User

I feel like a pool pool in San Diego. I already have a house, a swimming pool, will not consider buying a house, there is one - unless there is some very special about the house to overcome the pool. A pool is great if you have children, but if not it just a maintenance project.
Pond Kits

Rate This Thread: