Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default The heron file. A perrenial problem (Part one)

"kathy" wrote in message
Along with the stated reasons not to use nets I
have a real concern with my two labradors. I think
netting my pond would be a real danger. They like to drink
out of the pond and the worry would be if one fell in or was
pushed in while playing. No fish is worth the lives of my
dogs. I also have concerns with birds and squirrels getting
caught in the nets.

I have had two small birds get caught in the net. Our nets are well pegged
down so no other animals have been caught. My dogs have no access to the
ponds because it's against the law to allow dogs to run loose here. They
also get hit by cars. If your dogs are outdoors when no one is home then
nets may not work for you. Your only problem would be snakes, frogs,
snappers and Kingfishers taking your fish - unless you live in a city.

Nets just don't work for all ponders. We have to offer other
alternatives. I don't have a problem with herons and kingfishers,
they visit from time to time, but I use the heron scarer, I have
fishy condos, tree cover, plant cover and dog patrols.

The dogs would be a good deterrent from herons. I've had locals tell me
this. ;-)

None
of my birdy visitors have cleaned out the pond. I put my bird
losses at about 4 fish max over ten years.

If that was all we lost I wouldn't have bothered with nets. We recently lost
all but one shubunkin to a GBH. He took about 10 GF in one setting.
Actually, there may have been two GBHs since these were good size fish.
They trashed the plants while they were at it.

Anyway that's the nice thing about newsgroups, we can offer
all sorts of different options for flummoxed ponders.

Exactly! :-)) If only 4 fish in even 5 years were lost that would be
tolerable. Before the nets we were often losing a fish a day or more. This
was heartbreaking and getting rather expensive.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default The heron file. + pond accident

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"kathy" wrote in message
[...]

Tons of small birds in my yard, none bothered by netting, though I'm
Haven't had the heron since "Black Sunday" a couple months back.
Net looks terrible. Given lack of visit since, better to just throw
something on when I'm away for a few days.

Only crisis since was when I got back from trip a couple days ago, found
an almost indecipherable note from my gardener (not a good English
speaker) telling me of "fish motor probleme".

Pond was near empty because someone stepped on, and disconnected
outgoing hose from my external filter. Pump was running. Saving grace
was that I keep in-pond pump raised up from bottom, so fish had a enough
water to survive. Must have been wall-to-wall fish for at least a day.
Immediately filled pond and none were lost.

Fish clammered for snacks for all their ordeal.

Upside is that got a good water change.

Weather is still nice around here, so no ice/snow/freezing temps, etc.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I've had a bird lost to a dastardly bullfrog. And it was one
of our state birds at that! And the culprit bullfrog was an
unwanted amphibian species in our state - it just added
insult to injury.
I've heard of snakes getting caught in netting. Can't even
imagine dealing with that! I'd so want to help the critter
but IT'S A SNAKE!!!! Just hard to get past the SNAKE
part...

k :-)

Old 01-02-2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"kathy" wrote in message
I've had a bird lost to a dastardly bullfrog. And it was one
of our state birds at that! And the culprit bullfrog was an
unwanted amphibian species in our state - it just added
insult to injury.
I've heard of snakes getting caught in netting. Can't even
imagine dealing with that! I'd so want to help the critter
but IT'S A SNAKE!!!! Just hard to get past the SNAKE
part...

=============================
My husband feels as you do but I have no fear of snakes. Once grabbed behind
the head they can't do anything but whip around. I toss them in an old
pillowcase and take them to the lake a mile down the road. That is if we
can save them. There were two so hopelessly tangled and so far gone we
couldn't help them.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

The heron file. A perrenial problem (Part one) adavisus Ponds (moderated) 0 25-01-2008 01:04 AM
Perrenial problem Yabbadoo Ponds 9 20-02-2005 01:58 PM
File this under "I Spoke to Soon" (The Heron Cometh) Benign Vanilla Ponds 16 29-10-2004 03:34 PM
File this under "I Spoke to Soon" (The Heron Cometh) Benign Vanilla Ponds 0 20-10-2004 03:41 PM
File this under "I Spoke to Soon" (The Heron Cometh) Benign Vanilla Ponds 0 20-10-2004 03:41 PM