Old 09-02-2008, 09:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default 1st pond project

Looks like I have my first pond project as soon as the weather warms, but
not too warm.

Ever since I covered the ponds for winter I've had a slow leak somewhere. I
didn't worry about it too much, figured it was in my 2nd short waterfall
and it was removing just enough water/week for me to refill ~ 10% during
the winter. Well.... as time went on seems I was adding more, more often. I
was getting worried about undermining, since ponds are in pure sand.

So this morning I turned off the slow flow pump and isolating ponds from
each other, and stopping the siphon to filter, so it was also isolated.

The good news, it isn't in the little waterfall, it isn't in the ponds
(thus no holes in the liner). The bad news, it is in the filter. Reported
that to DH and he said that was good, which it is, leak wise, but not good
in that it isn't something I could fix without help from him or DS. Plus it
would need to be done ASAP after it is warm enough for the stuff to work,
yet still cool enough before the fish are active. We'll have to run the old
fashion way, running pump from lower pond to top during the fix. I just
hope I don't have to take out the filter material, but if we do it, we
should re-silicon all bulkheads. At least I don't have to worry about
undermining around solid barrels. Maybe I'll go put some koi clay in the
pre-filter and see if it will plug it up... temporarily. ;-)

What do you think YOURS first project with HAVE to be? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: