Old 15-02-2008, 12:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Getting rid of fish

wrote:

natural birth control = orfes

Can't get orfes in California

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 15-02-2008, 08:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Chris Barnes" wrote in message
~ jan wrote:
I thought about netting them and releasing them into a lake (we are in
SoCal), but that could be a mess.

Highly illegal, and in California probably punishable by death,
imprisonment & fines, and probably in that order. ;-)

I wonder if "releasing" them would be still be illegal if done one at a
time, using a hook and fishing line?

==================================
People here have been releasing all kinds of unwanted fish into Percy Priest
lake. So far none have naturalized. They have to stock the lake so fisherman
can catch fish.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-02-2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:28:36 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

Many of us made mistakes because no one points out all the problems and
things that can go wrong.

Since every pond, ponder, materials, soil are different, I don't think
there is a book out there that could cover it all. Especially not in the
mid-90's. Even if you had known then what you know now, wouldn't you have
still dug the ponds?

Most likely I would have. But I would have designed them to be more natural
and have never bought fish for them. The fish are the main attraction for
the snakes and fish eating predators. The fish are what's causing most of
the work. And their rate of reproduction is phenomenal. I tried adding
rosy reds to consume some of the eggs and fry, but they don't survive for
some reason.

I shudder to think what it would cost to hire someone to add these to both
ponds and in such a way they can be netted.

I don't think Phyllis was even suggesting this. While you're mentioning
all
the cons of ponding, a few of us are pointing out the pros, and that it
can
be done low maintenance and low cost.

Yes, it can...... depending where you live and what you want to keep in your
pond.

After all, you've mentioned you're
ready to pull off the nets, sell the fish, and go the lazy ponder way that
Kathy enjoys. ;-) No one here is trying to sway you not to.

I think we all concentrate on the pros Jan, and forget that all coins have a
flip side. I'm not crazy about these nets either. They're a real PIA but
the only thing that worked. They're in the way of maintenance and of course
not natural looking or attractive although fine and black.

I never dreamed there would be so much maintenance
involved. Then, once the koi started to breed the maintenance increased.
There is no other way to remove fry than do a draindown and net them out.
dirty smelly all day job as I mentioned before.

And I don't think anyone here is trying to talk you out of retiring from
these chores. They're just stating their experiences. I know I dug my
first
pond in 1995, a year earlier than yourself and haven't had a 5th of the
problems you've had. So everyone/pond and experiences thereof, are often
quite different. ~ jan

Jan, the first 150g kitty-pool pond was put in in May or June of 1995, as
per the Tetra booklet that was all I could find locally. I didn't have a PC
back then. The library here had nothing on liner ponds. Ponds were not
that popular or common at the time either. No one had liner ponds or
anything other than farm stock ponds that I knew. I went by those early
books that expounded on the pros and minimized the cons if they mentioned
them at all. Finding any good info was hard.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-02-2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
. com...
I built a pond for my koi. It has straight sides built using a stud wall,
a veggie
filter that stacks over the pond and a single shelf for getting into the
pond that
holds a single but large water lily. I have 22 or so koi and not a single
fry
anywhere. Jo Ann says I got females with eggs, but I really dont see any
of my
females getting bashed during spawning. My pond is very maintenance
free.
INgrid

==============================
I saw your pics. Your "pond" is more like a tank than a natural pond out on
a lawn as mine are. Nothing wrong with that but that's not what we wanted
when our ponds were dug.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-02-2008, 03:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

Ideally though, if they're just common goldfish, as someone suggested,
mosquito fish will take care of the eggs and you won't have a fry problem.
~ jan

I have always had mosquito fish, and consequently, never any goldfish
fry. Certainly kept my pond in check.

Old 16-02-2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:58:14 CST, Kurt wrote:

I have always had mosquito fish, and consequently, never any goldfish
fry. Certainly kept my pond in check.

They sure do. I had them in my koi ponds, and never had any fry. One cold
winter killed them off and finally I got koi fry. I've never had a problem
catching them though, just waited till they got big enough and slowly
worked at it. Many ended up in the filter, so those were real easy to
catch. Luckily, and thankfully, my koi don't spawn every year. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Getting Rid of Thrips Shiva Roses 8 08-04-2003 02:32 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Getting rid of ivy Karen C Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
getting rid of vines Elizabeth Jones Gardening 2 19-03-2003 03:44 PM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM