Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Submersible Pump 'basket'?

We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall. It
is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could put
the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and will keep fish safe? The
pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:44:31 CST, "Goldlexus"
wrote:

We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall. It
is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could put
the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and will keep fish safe? The
pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!

Whatever you put it in, that strong a pump needs lots of surface area or it
will quickly clog. I'm thinking laundry/clothes basket that has screen door
material over it. Or if you can find the really large mesh plant baskets
and clam shell two of them together over it. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-03-2008, 11:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We use a 5 gallon bucket that Jim has drilled a million 1/2 inch holes
through. It keeps the pull weak and keeps stuff bigger than 1/2 inch
out of the pump. Jim has the bucket on bricks so the bottom of it is
about 3 inches oiff the bottom.

I think sewage pumps are not made for continuous duty. How is yours
handling the steady use? Perhaps others will correct my impression.

Phyllis

Old 06-03-2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Goldlexus wrote:
We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our
waterfall. It is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up
our fish! For some reason the fish really like to hang out around the
pump, it must be the current it generates or something. Anyway, is
there something we could put the pump in that will allow waterflow
thru' and will keep fish safe? The pump stands 19" tall and is about
13" wide. Thanks!

Parrot cage, covered in fine neting?..............oh, ok............laugh
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 07-03-2008, 02:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall. It
is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could put
the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and will keep fish safe? The
pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!

Whatever you put it in, that strong a pump needs lots of surface area or it
will quickly clog. I'm thinking laundry/clothes basket that has screen door
material over it. Or if you can find the really large mesh plant baskets
and clam shell two of them together over it. ~ jan

I thinks that's what mine is. Bought my pump and setup from a guy who
puts these together. Works great and has never clogged in 5 years.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This pump is made/designed for continuous use, it is not a problem. We've
been running this pump for three years all Summer long. It is off from
Oct.-May, on end of May-Sept.
Looks like we will spend this weekend rigging up something. All the
suggestions here has my brain whirling thru' some ideas we could try.
THANKS!

Old 07-03-2008, 02:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Pete C" wrote:

Goldlexus wrote:
We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our
waterfall. It is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up
our fish! For some reason the fish really like to hang out around the
pump, it must be the current it generates or something. Anyway, is
there something we could put the pump in that will allow waterflow
thru' and will keep fish safe? The pump stands 19" tall and is about
13" wide. Thanks!

Parrot cage, covered in fine neting?..............oh, ok............laugh

Don't laugh, Good idea for those larger pumps.
I have a 2 piece inline basket that fits on the intake of my submerged
pump, and it's filled with foam pieces, whose nooks and crannies house
all that hard-working bacteria that keeps my pond clean.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message

I thinks that's what mine is. Bought my pump and setup from a guy who
puts these together. Works great and has never clogged in 5 years.

=====================
Window screen would clog in my ponds in a day or two.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall. It
is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could put
the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and will keep fish safe? The
pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!

=========================
Make a "basket" from 1/4" hardware cloth and J-clips. Watch for clogging if
a lot of leaves and plant debris sticks to the mesh.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We have a Gould sewage pump that we use to pump water to our waterfall. It
is a nice powerful pump so powerful that it sucks up our fish! For some
reason the fish really like to hang out around the pump, it must be the
current it generates or something. Anyway, is there something we could put
the pump in that will allow waterflow thru' and will keep fish safe? The
pump stands 19" tall and is about 13" wide. Thanks!

=========================
Make a "basket" from 1/4" hardware cloth and J-clips. Watch for clogging if
a lot of leaves and plant debris sticks to the mesh.

How strong of a pump do you have pulling water through it?
The basket around the intake of my 1250GPH pump couldn't possibly clog
given all the area around it.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
[...]

I think ours is about 3500gph. Plant debris is what would clog mine quickly
without some kind of "guard" around it. There are loads of plants in both
ponds.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
[...]

Seems to me a large wireframe basket would solve that problem. Then,
just put the bag over that so no fish go in.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our set up (5 gal bucket with a million 1/2" holes) reduces the pull
on each hole and prevents items larger than the 1/2" that the pump can
handle from getting in. Over the years NOTHING has stuck to the
holes.

Jim

Old 11-03-2008, 03:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:
Make a "basket" from 1/4" hardware cloth and J-clips. Watch for
clogging
if
a lot of leaves and plant debris sticks to the mesh.

How strong of a pump do you have pulling water through it?
The basket around the intake of my 1250GPH pump couldn't possibly clog
given all the area around it.

=====================
I think ours is about 3500 gph. Plant debris is what would clog mine
quickly
without some kind of "guard" around it. There are loads of plants in
both
ponds.

Seems to me a large wireframe basket would solve that problem. Then,
just put the bag over that so no fish go in.

==========================
I have two plant baskets wired together like clam shells. A bag? Anything
finer than the plant baskets would clog in no time.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-03-2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:42:27 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

I have two plant baskets wired together like clam shells. A bag? Anything
finer than the plant baskets would clog in no time.

I guess I don't understand your problem. Your pump is clogging even with
the clamshell?

I think many of the answers were not to you, but to the OP who asked for
suggestions to a pump with no protection at the time.

Vinyl screening, imho, if held away from the pump, has about the same size
openings as the mesh baskets I have seen. Really large mesh baskets are
sometimes hard to find. Thus putting the pump in a bucket as Jim has done
or laundry/tote basket and then covered with screening gives adequate
surface area for most large pumps, and keeps tiny fry out. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Splicing power cord on Submersible pump Jackson Ponds 4 07-02-2006 01:47 AM
WTB: Submersible pump Mike Ponds 1 28-06-2004 06:02 AM
Is anyone aware of an energy efficient submersible pump. Mickey Ponds 5 31-05-2004 03:03 PM
FS: submersible ultraviolet clarifier/sterilizer for pond barbara archuleta Ponds 0 13-06-2003 03:32 AM
Submersible Lights in or out of Pond? Robert Ramirez Ponds 10 29-05-2003 05:22 AM