Old 14-04-2008, 10:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Frogs

~ jan wrote:
I also had a male & female in another
bucket with the hope I'd get spawn. This morning, since they were both
together I turned them loose in the stock tank w/water cress, so
hopefully.... they'll take the hint.

I don't know, water cress never was much of an aphrodisiac for me.

Chip

Old 14-04-2008, 11:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Chip wrote
I don't know, water cress never was much of an aphrodisiac for me.

You're probably not one for goggly eyes, green legs or
warty skin either...

k :-)

Old 14-04-2008, 11:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:
Chip wrote
I don't know, water cress never was much of an aphrodisiac for me.

You're probably not one for goggly eyes, green legs or
warty skin either...

k :-)

Not the 1st two, but warty skin, yummy!

Chip

Old 16-04-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:52:20 EDT, Chip wrote:

kathy wrote:
Chip wrote
I don't know, water cress never was much of an aphrodisiac for me.

You're probably not one for goggly eyes, green legs or
warty skin either...

k :-)

Not the 1st two, but warty skin, yummy!

Chip

Don't watch a thread for a day, and look what happens. gasp
I came up with a great spawning area, since I've been finding lots of
females this year. I guess they like the sound of this fake frog....

I put 2 huge mesh baskets together, cut a flap in the top so I can drop
water cress and frogs in. Couple of days, I'll turn the females loose and
run the males over to..... Kathy's. ;-)

I'm also finding eggs in the lily pond, as 1 male always seems to get pass
me. As I find them, before the fish, I'm transferring them to the kiddy
pond. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 16-04-2008, 04:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I went out tonight and took some frog and tadpole pictures. If anyone
can identify the critters, let me know. I numbered them in case there
are different kinds.

http://homepage.mac.com/pondstuff/PhotoAlbum3.html

Jan, where did you get your "frog croaking keychain?" I want one!

Also, how can you tell if a frog is a male or a female?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 17-04-2008, 02:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:30:25 EDT, Pond Addict
wrote:

I went out tonight and took some frog and tadpole pictures. If anyone
can identify the critters, let me know. I numbered them in case there
are different kinds.

http://homepage.mac.com/pondstuff/PhotoAlbum3.html

Kathy or someone can probably ID this critter, some very good pictures
there.

Jan, where did you get your "frog croaking keychain?" I want one!

I think I got it at the Craft Store. Craft Warehouse.

Also, how can you tell if a frog is a male or a female?

With our Pacific Chorus (tree) frogs, the male has a very dark chin, from
the skin that inflates. The females have a cream to white chin. Don't know
if all frogs are that easy to ID, but whoever if making the noise is
usually male. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-04-2008, 05:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'm saying Green Frog :-)
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...clamitans.html

This page has a sound file and that's a good way to see if your
frog matches up.

And what Jan said.
Males do the calling. Females will make alarm or release calls.
Males will also fight and squabble with each other over the fair
maidens.
Males also have bigger eardrums, females are daintier. And the throat,
yellow males, females white or lighter.

Frogs are my favorite pond pet.
k :-)

Old 22-04-2008, 06:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

By the way, I took our cockapoo out frog-spotting the other night and
a frog got the better of her.

She was leaning over the bank sniffing at this one big frog to see if
it was really a frog or just a rock, and the frog jumped in her face.
She was so startled that she reared back on her hind legs with her
front paws flailing in the air as the frog bounced off her head and
she fell over sideways into the pond. Really one of those, "I wish I
had a video camera" moments. : )

Dave

Old 22-04-2008, 06:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kathy, I think you nailed it. Some have started getting vocal, and
they sound just like the green frogs on that page.

I think there are a few kinds of frogs out there, since the largest
ones are about 8 times the size of the smallest. They may just be
different types of green frogs, though. I'll see when the dinky ones
start calling. Thanks for the help with the ID.

Old 22-04-2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pond Addict wrote:

By the way, I took our cockapoo out frog-spotting the other night and
a frog got the better of her.

She was leaning over the bank sniffing at this one big frog to see if
it was really a frog or just a rock, and the frog jumped in her face.
She was so startled that she reared back on her hind legs with her
front paws flailing in the air as the frog bounced off her head and
she fell over sideways into the pond. Really one of those, "I wish I
had a video camera" moments. : )

I remember a similar incident with my Schnauzer - a dog so fearless she got
killed when she refused to back down from a much larger dog. In her case,
she didn't fall into the pond, so I didn't miss having a camera :-)
--
derek

Old 23-04-2008, 01:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Derek Broughton wrote:

I remember a similar incident with my Schnauzer - a dog so fearless she got
killed when she refused to back down from a much larger dog.

I've had 4 Mini-Schnauzers and all of them were smarter than that. Bark
and nip at bigger dogs, but when the going got rough discretion was the
better part of valor. Never would stop barking tho. Sorry about yours.

Chip

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Can I use swimming pool repair patches for fish ponds? [email protected] Ponds 0 07-02-2014 01:41 PM
Swimming dog.......rec ponds Tristan Ponds 1 10-12-2006 07:52 PM
Swimming Pools Dean Krick Ponds 10 04-04-2005 02:53 AM
Keeping a natural area, natural aggiecon Plant Science 2 13-12-2004 07:05 PM
Above ground swimming pools Oliver Keating United Kingdom 5 05-08-2003 01:32 PM