Old 26-06-2008, 04:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default pondscaping a dream pond

State of the leak.
Well, I found those suckers! The patch material sent to me by BTL did
not do such a great job at sealing up. In spite of making sure the
liner was clean and dry, after applying the patch material and putting
the liner in the pond, filling it with water, the water found a way
under the patches and was slowly seeping out. I repaired the leaks
with some Beckett's liner tape (I have used it before with excellent
results.) I hope this solves the problem. I reapplied the patch
material supplied by BTL, then edged it with a 1 1/2 inch strip of
Beckett Liner tape and then covered that with a cut to fit piece of
EPDM liner. Think that will hold it?
I know I sure hope so! :-)))
W. Dale
Time to refill the new pond; all 17' X 21' X 4.5'.

Old 26-06-2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

W Dale wrote:
Humidity today is 11%.

How's it feel to be so humid? If we get above 10% here in Phoenix
during May-Aug we feel sticky. Aug-Sept we get the "Monsoon" season and
can reach as high as 25%-35%.

Chip

Old 26-06-2008, 09:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

the fact that you have such a high humidity in a desert is to me a crime
against the environment but i'm not going to get on my soap box and rant
against the insanity of phoenix requiring people to grow lawns...

we have had 100% humidity and temperatures above 90F on long island -
further south that is much more common and with higher temperatures. I have
tried to convince my spouse that 120 in southern california is far cooler
than what we get here and that it is all about the humidity. he won't buy
it. in the desert when you sweat it cools you off - out here it just
increases your misery. i feel so sorry for my fish when the water gets too
warm. i envy you your 10%.

donna

Old 27-06-2008, 12:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This is probably a poor time to mention this but I will anyway. Here
in northern Florida we have yet to break into triple digits. It's
gotten to 97-98, but it hasn't hit (or gone over) 100. It didn't last
year or the year before that either. I think maybe it did 3 years ago
or so, but I may have just dreamed that. The humidity is higher than
a lot of places, but this isn't the furnace some people imagine,
especially given our latitude. I think it gets hotter and more
miserable in places like New York (city), Chicago or Washington, DC.
By the way, we did get almost 1.5 inches of rain yesterday, and now
the big pond by the house (which had almost dried up) is back to being
a giant mud puddle. Maybe if we get 20 or 30 more inches it will fill
up.

Galen Hekhuis

Old 27-06-2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:43:08 EDT, "DKat" wrote:

we have had 100% humidity and temperatures above 90F on long island

We call that rain. ;-)

Prior to agriculture I'm sure our humidity was similar to Phoenix way back
when. Now we're use to anything under 20%. We don't get sticky till it hits
30%. ;-)

Sounds like hubby needs to take a vacation in a desert. Low humidity one
can work out in the shade in the high 80's to 90F w/o noticing sweat
(unless you're hot flash prone, when only a stiff breeze helps). And then
at higher temps one can turn on overhead misters and actually feel cold
when a breeze comes up. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 27-06-2008, 02:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

DKat wrote:
the fact that you have such a high humidity in a desert is to me a crime
against the environment but i'm not going to get on my soap box and rant
against the insanity of phoenix requiring people to grow lawns...

I'm confused??! The high 25-35% is due to the jet stream patterns
bringing Gulf of Mexico or Gulf of Cortez moisture during the monsoon
season. Nothing to do with lawns. Required to have lawns, never heard
of it in the 15 yrs I've lived here??? They are doing their best to
have them torn out and replaced with zeriscaping with low moisture planting.

Now we do have a lot of lawn (people from back East seem to insist on
it) and golf courses, but that has little to do with the humidity.
Majority of yards are like mine, gravel-80%, small lawn for dog-10%,
pool-10%. I'm converting most of my lawn to patio and my pool to pond
and veggie filter.

Chip

Old 27-06-2008, 04:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Triple digits here this weekend too.
DH is spending his second weekend camping with the
scouts down on a river delta. Last weekend we had a fierce
thunderstorm move
in on them, this weekend they get the triple digits.

k :-)

Old 27-06-2008, 10:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

more rain as I look out the window. the mosquitoes are hellatious and I dont think
we have seen more than a couple in nearly 10 years. we had about 10" when the floods
were hitting the midwest. And yesterday was our first 85+ day all year. we are 6
blocks from the big puddle (L. Michigan) and it is humid nearly all the time.
Happily, I like humidity, my skin likes humidity especially after the freeze dry of
winter. sigh. school starts next week. time to gear up. Ingrid

Old 29-06-2008, 09:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:21:50 EDT, wrote:

winter. sigh. school starts next week. time to gear up. Ingrid

Now that's a crime.... Teaching summer school, I hope the hours are
shorter. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 01-07-2008, 03:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

just shy of 2 hours 3 times per week. in the morning done by 11:30. got a TA to
teach the lab. 8 of them. They are all women and all seniors for some reason. I do
like teaching to small groups, quite different than the 100-150 I have in fall and
spring. Ingrid

Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 26, 11:53 am, Chip wrote:
W Dale wrote:

Humidity today is 11%.

How's it feel to be so humid? If we get above 10% here in Phoenix
during May-Aug we feel sticky. Aug-Sept we get the "Monsoon" season and
can reach as high as 25%-35%.

Chip

LOL! It feels GREAT! You see, I was born and reared in Laurel, MS.
And while I have acclimated to the Rockies, I do miss the moisture of
the deep south. I think I would just dry up and blow away there in
Phoenix!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jul 1, 7:09 am, wrote:
just shy of 2 hours 3 times per week. in the morning done by 11:30. got a TA to
teach the lab. 8 of them. They are all women and all seniors for some reason. I do
like teaching to small groups, quite different than the 100-150 I have in fall and
spring. Ingrid

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:52:03 EDT, ~ jan wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:21:50 EDT, wrote:

winter. sigh. school starts next week. time to gear up. Ingrid

Now that's a crime.... Teaching summer school, I hope the hours are
shorter. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Well, it sounds like your 'work load' will be light! What subject
will you be teaching? I had to cancel my summer band program this
year because I did not receive enough pre-registrations to cover the
class. Of course, there were some registrations coming in after the
deadline but that does not do accounting any good.
W. Dale

Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Leaky pond update:

Well, the leaks have been patched and the pond has been refilled. The
two 55 gallon barrel settling tanks have been sealed (finally!) and
the pond level seems stable. Veggie filter is running (fish are in it
and seem to be spawning!) and the bog pond is going.
Lost a 13 inch koi last night / early this morning. It jumped out of
the veggie filter and suffocated. Beautiful koi too. Very sad. So
today, even though they are VERY frisky, they are going back into the
pond. I don't want to lose anymore like that.
I think in 24 months, I will take out the 3" pipe and replace it with
4" pipe to better feed the Sequence 5800 pump I have going. And I
think it will be worth the effort to plumb each bottom drain into the
settling tanks separately. That should help the flow keep up with
pump. As I have it right now, the tops of the barrels are closed in
effect creating a priming pot for the pump. So far, so good. :-)
W. Dale

Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:24:34 EDT, LeahMarie
wrote:

On Jun 26, 11:53 am, Chip wrote:
W Dale wrote:

Humidity today is 11%.

How's it feel to be so humid? If we get above 10% here in Phoenix
during May-Aug we feel sticky. Aug-Sept we get the "Monsoon" season and
can reach as high as 25%-35%.

Chip

LOL! It feels GREAT! You see, I was born and reared in Laurel, MS.
And while I have acclimated to the Rockies, I do miss the moisture of
the deep south. I think I would just dry up and blow away there in
Phoenix!

I used to live right down the road in Hattiesburg, MS. I was born in
Biloxi. Southern Mississippi got too cold for me, so I moved to
Florida. :^) Anyway, we closed out the month here with a bit over an
inch of rain bringing us to 5.96 inches for June. That's close enough
to 6 inches for me. It's a lot more than we got last year and if we
get another 20-30 inches we just might bust this drought. I can now
look at the big pond by the house and actually see water in it! It's
a long way from being full, but at least it isn't just mud anymore.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Dream pond - Next pond will have... DavidM[_2_] Ponds (moderated) 9 21-04-2011 11:32 PM
Lavender Dream? saki Roses 0 02-08-2003 12:16 AM
Dendrobium Spring Dream Apollon Paulo Orchids 1 23-06-2003 02:08 AM
Dendrobium Sprin Dream Appollon Paulo Orchids 4 10-06-2003 03:20 AM
Did I dream about this? Oz Scott Ponds 3 15-04-2003 06:44 PM