Old 05-04-2008, 09:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default pondscaping a dream pond

Let's say you talked your spouse into another pond...
or you moved to a new house and had an unlimited budget
and the use of several football playing teenagers for free
labor (minus pizza and pop).

What pond would you plan and build??
Koi pond, goldfish pond, plant crazy pond,
wildlife pond, streams, waterfalls, fountains,
a whole backyard pond, a pond that is both
inside and outside, 20 feet deep, fixed with
underwater cameras, something that could be
seen on google maps, bridges, islands, beaches,
sunken ships, mermaids, submarines?

k :-)

Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 16:22:19 EDT, kathy wrote:

Let's say you talked your spouse into another pond...
or you moved to a new house and had an unlimited budget
and the use of several football playing teenagers for free
labor (minus pizza and pop).

What pond would you plan and build??
Koi pond, goldfish pond, plant crazy pond,
wildlife pond, streams, waterfalls, fountains,
a whole backyard pond, a pond that is both
inside and outside, 20 feet deep, fixed with
underwater cameras, something that could be
seen on google maps, bridges, islands, beaches,
sunken ships, mermaids, submarines?
k :-)

You about covered it all there. And for the geeks, lots of computer control
gadgets to make it all work. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-04-2008, 04:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

actually, I am working on a veggie filter for an indoor tank so there is basically no
maintenance. and I am going to get my DH to make it since he now has access to a
"shop" due to teaching robotics. INgrid

Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I would put together a series of streams and pools and bogs
and it would be a wildlife pond so that means moving someplace
where wildlife can walk in and out of our yard. I'd build decks
here and there, some with shade, for viewing. Lots of bird
feeders and squirrel feeders and salt licks and hidden
brushy areas and trees. I'd have a yearly cleanup with my
*free* labor. I'd also live in an area so the water could stay
fairly open during the winter - like it usually is here except
for the occasional COLD winter like we had (having)
this year.

k :-)

Old 06-04-2008, 07:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:10:41 EDT, wrote:

actually, I am working on a veggie filter for an indoor tank so there is basically no
maintenance. and I am going to get my DH to make it since he now has access to a
"shop" due to teaching robotics. INgrid

Cool. Looking forward to the pictures on that. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 06-04-2008, 10:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 13:47:52 EDT, kathy wrote:

I would put together a series of streams and pools and bogs
and it would be a wildlife pond so that means moving someplace
where wildlife can walk in and out of our yard. I'd build decks
here and there, some with shade, for viewing. Lots of bird
feeders and squirrel feeders and salt licks and hidden
brushy areas and trees. I'd have a yearly cleanup with my
*free* labor. I'd also live in an area so the water could stay
fairly open during the winter - like it usually is here except
for the occasional COLD winter like we had (having)
this year.

k :-)

And you better add, far enough from neighbors that move out into the wild,
yet expect the wild to move away or at least, not make noise.

You'll have to do research on plants deer hate. My sister has been doing
quite the dance on keeping the deer out of her property. One area is okay
where she has those electrical posts, but others she's been buying a lot of
wire fencing. That can't be fun. This was a heavy snow year for them also
and about a 50 deer herd came out of the hills. Many of the neighbors'
yards have been stripped clean as it is a young neighborhood and the bushes
& trees had not grown tall enough. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 07-04-2008, 07:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Since I have unlimited funds..... I'll leave the majority of
my estate natural and have an old fashioned, huge,
glassed in livable greenhouse attached to one section
of the house with raised beds, a fountain, lounge chairs,
stone veranda, outside kitchen and play area for the
grandchildren. You're invited for tea and lemonade
in the afternoons.

k :-)

Old 07-04-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 02:03:06 EDT, kathy wrote:

Since I have unlimited funds.....

Dreaming again I see.

I'll leave the majority of
my estate natural and have an old fashioned, huge,
glassed in livable greenhouse attached to one section
of the house with raised beds, a fountain, lounge chairs,
stone veranda, outside kitchen and play area for the
grandchildren. You're invited for tea and lemonade
in the afternoons.
k :-)

I'll be there, it is a short trip to my imagination. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-04-2008, 07:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
kathy wrote:

Let's say you talked your spouse into another pond...
or you moved to a new house and had an unlimited budget
and the use of several football playing teenagers for free
labor (minus pizza and pop).

Sounds more like another kind of fantasy ;-)

Old 08-04-2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Sounds more like another kind of fantasy ;-)
ak! Not when you work in education, it isn't!!!

Tis a sad day when the youngest laborer toddles off
to college. In addition to pond duties he also doubles
as neighborhood computer genius, fetcher of things off
tall shelves and all around good egg.

k :-)

Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 02:04:13 EDT, Kurt wrote:

In article
,
kathy wrote:

Let's say you talked your spouse into another pond...
or you moved to a new house and had an unlimited budget
and the use of several football playing teenagers for free
labor (minus pizza and pop).

Sounds more like another kind of fantasy ;-)

I think it went to total make-believe when she typed the first line. For
some a dream, for some spouses a nightmare. ;-) ~ jan

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 30-05-2008, 10:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 5, 2:22 pm, kathy wrote:
Let's say you talked your spouse into another pond...
or you moved to a new house and had an unlimited budget
and the use of several football playing teenagers for free
labor (minus pizza and pop).

What pond would you plan and build??
Koi pond, goldfish pond, plant crazy pond,
wildlife pond, streams, waterfalls, fountains,
a whole backyard pond, a pond that is both
inside and outside, 20 feet deep, fixed with
underwater cameras, something that could be
seen on google maps, bridges, islands, beaches,
sunken ships, mermaids, submarines?

k :-)

Hi everyone!
I think somewhere I may have indicated that I would be 'fixing up' my
pond this year. :-)

Update: Bottom drains are installed, skimmer installed and plumbed
into the bottom drain lines, settling tanks are in and plumbed, as is
the 150 gallon rubbermaid bio-mech filter. Waiting on a kinfe gate
valve to come in this Friday (5/30/08) so I can finish with the
plumbing and put in the liner. I hope to have it filled by this
Saturday. So far, so good, and not a whole lot of work. Almost like
puttering around the house! LOL
I will get some pictures posted in the near future and post them
he http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/
It will look just a little different than my last pond.
W. Dale

Old 31-05-2008, 02:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Congrats! Sounds like fun.

I had a bad experience with a knife valve a year or so ago and changed
all mine out for ball valves. Basically, I had a line coming from the
bottom drain to my pump and my builder had put knife valves on either
side of the pump. I'd power down, shut the valves, clear the leaf
basket in the pump, reopen and start things up again. Until... a
pebble decided to travel to the pond-side knife valve and lodge right
in the bottom groove of the valve. I couldn't shut the flow off
completely anymore, so I couldn't open the pump basket. I should
mention that this pump is in my basement, in a "wet-ok" area, but not
an area where I could let the pond dump for several minutes while I
tried to clear the stone. And, if things went really wrong and I
couldn't plug the flood, I'd end up with 15,000 gallons of pond water
all around me.

I ended up having to go in the pond (6' down), remove the bottom drain
cover, put a compression plug in the pipe for the drain, drain the
line water by undoing the plumbing after the knife valve (sweating
that the drain plug was tight enough since water flow continued), and
finally reaching in and pulling out the problem pebble which was less
than a 1/4" in diameter. When I put it all back together, I added a
ball valve after the knife valve since there was no easy way to get
the old valve off. I use ball valves all around now even though the
knife valve is still on there. One tiny pebble caused so much grief.

I hope your experience is better than mine in that respect. : )

Dave

Old 01-06-2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 31 May 2008 09:27:03 EDT, Pond Addict
wrote:

One tiny pebble caused so much grief.
Dave

Hmmm, the Princess and the Pea. The Ponder and Pebble, if you suffered
sleepless nights would that make one a prince? ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 03-06-2008, 02:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 1, 12:20 pm, ~ jan wrote:
Hmmm, the Princess and the Pea. The Ponder and Pebble, if you suffered
sleepless nights would that make one a prince? ;-) ~ jan

Yes, indeed. My various titles include "Pond Prince," "Resident
Groundskeeper," and of course, "OMG, My Dad, the Crazy Fish Guy. *sigh!
*"

Dave

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Dream pond - Next pond will have... DavidM[_2_] Ponds (moderated) 9 21-04-2011 10:32 PM
Lavender Dream? saki Roses 0 01-08-2003 11:16 PM
Dendrobium Spring Dream Apollon Paulo Orchids 1 23-06-2003 01:08 AM
Dendrobium Sprin Dream Appollon Paulo Orchids 4 10-06-2003 02:20 AM
Did I dream about this? Oz Scott Ponds 3 15-04-2003 05:44 PM