Old 08-04-2008, 10:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Buying fish on line

Has anyone ever bought Fish on line? I asked someone this one time and I
was told "would you buy a cat in a sack? Then why would you buy fish on
line?" (I realized this is comparing apples to oranges but I
understood his point.)
IF you did buy on line, can you tell me about it and where you purchased
from?
Thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 01:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Peter Pan wrote:
Has anyone ever bought Fish on line? I asked someone this one time and I
was told "would you buy a cat in a sack? Then why would you buy fish on
line?" (I realized this is comparing apples to oranges but I
understood his point.)
IF you did buy on line, can you tell me about it and where you purchased
from?
Thanks

On the TFA mailing list there is a relatively new business by an old
hand at fish who breeds WONDERFUL angelfish who ships.
http://angelfishgardens.com/

Chip

Old 09-04-2008, 04:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
Has anyone ever bought Fish on line? I asked someone this one time and I
was told "would you buy a cat in a sack? Then why would you buy fish on
line?" (I realized this is comparing apples to oranges but I understood
his point.)
IF you did buy on line, can you tell me about it and where you purchased
from?
Thanks

======================
To me that's like buying a pig-in-a-poke. I want to SEE the fish before I
buy it, especially koi or Shubunkins to make sure the color is deep and
true, the body shape is pleasing, the finnage is perfect etc.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Peter Pan wrote:
Has anyone ever bought Fish on line? I asked someone this one time and I
was told "would you buy a cat in a sack? Then why would you buy fish on
line?" (I realized this is comparing apples to oranges but I
understood his point.)
IF you did buy on line, can you tell me about it and where you purchased
from?
Thanks

Can you mix one type of koi with another?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Pan wrote:
Has anyone ever bought Fish on line? I asked someone this one time and I
was told "would you buy a cat in a sack? Then why would you buy fish on
line?" (I realized this is comparing apples to oranges but I
understood his point.)
IF you did buy on line, can you tell me about it and where you purchased
from?
Thanks

Can you mix one type of koi with another?

====================================
Not if you want to breed a certain type. They also get along with goldfish
and rosy reds.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
Has anyone ever bought Fish on line? I asked someone this one time and I
was told "would you buy a cat in a sack? Then why would you buy fish on
line?" (I realized this is comparing apples to oranges but I understood
his point.)
IF you did buy on line, can you tell me about it and where you purchased
from?
Thanks

======================
To me that's like buying a pig-in-a-poke. I want to SEE the fish before I
buy it, especially koi or Shubunkins to make sure the color is deep and
true, the body shape is pleasing, the finnage is perfect etc.

Here is a link to a large koi farm out here in California.

http://koifarm.com

Old 09-04-2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I once purchased a butterfly koi from Lilypons 11-12 years ago. That's when
shipping wasn't too outrageous. I got this guy at the smallest size they
sold at the time. I still have that fish today, and it is one of the nicest
healthiest (knock on wood) fish in the pond. It has the most gorgeous fins
of any butterfly I've yet to see, and I didn't even get to see a picture of
it. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-04-2008, 12:55 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:
To me that's like buying a pig-in-a-poke. I want to SEE the fish before
buy it, especially koi or Shubunkins to make sure the color is deep and
true, the body shape is pleasing, the finnage is perfect etc.

Here is a link to a large koi farm out here in California.

http://koifarm.com

=============================
That's a bit far for me to travel. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Here is a link to a large koi farm out here in California.

http://koifarm.com

=============================
That's a bit far for me to travel. :-)

I thought you were interesting in selling not buying now days?
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-04-2008, 02:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message

Here is a link to a large koi farm out here in California.

http://koifarm.com

=============================
That's a bit far for me to travel. :-)

I thought you were interesting in selling not buying now days?
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

===============================
I'm not interested in buying. I just unloaded over 200 young koi. I just
opined that buying fish sight-unseen is something I wouldn't do.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

sure. not good to mix GF with koi. But if you got the space get a few Orfes....
they provide birth control. Ingrid

Old 10-04-2008, 06:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
sure. not good to mix GF with koi.

Can you explain in more detail,why? I have seen lots of ponds with koi
and GF. They are not breeding for sale, just for the pleasure of seeing
different types of fish.

Chip

Old 10-04-2008, 06:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

sure. not good to mix GF with koi.

How come? I have koi & shubunkin. They seem to get along just dandy.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:12:28 EDT, Chip wrote:

wrote:
sure. not good to mix GF with koi.

Can you explain in more detail,why? I have seen lots of ponds with koi
and GF. They are not breeding for sale, just for the pleasure of seeing
different types of fish.
Chip

In certain incidences it can be disastrous. GF are always sexually on,
whereas koi are twice a year at most. GF males aren't always understanding
and will still harass the female koi even when she has no eggs to give.
IME, it is comet GF, not the fancier varieties that are the biggest
problem. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: