Old 13-04-2008, 09:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default finally got the pump going

Due to a lot of boy scout activities and remodeling during
youngest spring break and sprinklers in need of major
re-engineering - the pond fell to the bottom of the list.
Thankfully it has been way to cold here for spring.

Today, after some fits and starts and major cleaning
and threats - the waterfall is back on :-))
The fish love the waterfall buffet of insects and tasties
that come down off the rocks.
Lots of frogs were watching the whole affair, insects
swarming around. Today I saw the squirrels, quail
and magpies all at the pond at the same time.

This is a backyard wildlife pond so all critters are welcome,
even the luckless heron who has yet to catch anything or
even spook the fish. Not sure if it is the depth, the way
it is built, the big growth of camboda on the surface or
just an untalented bird.

k :-)

Old 14-04-2008, 03:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:34:36 EDT, kathy wrote:

it is built, the big growth of camboda on the surface or
just an untalented bird.

Camboda? Searched the web for a picture and only came up with stuff about
Cambodia. Could it be hornwort? Elodea? I couldn't tell from the distance
of the window, but did notice stuff floating. Now you have me curious. ~
jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-04-2008, 02:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:34:36 EDT, kathy wrote:

it is built, the big growth of camboda on the surface or
just an untalented bird.

Camboda? Searched the web for a picture and only came up with stuff
about Cambodia. Could it be hornwort? Elodea? I couldn't tell from
the distance of the window, but did notice stuff floating. Now you
have me curious. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

I think this is it Jan...................
http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/a...ba/cabomba.htm

--
Pete C
London UK

Old 14-04-2008, 05:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Cabomba caroliniana is its official name.
Pete found a good picture of it.
I found some washed up on the shores of our big river
here. Looking at the USDA distribution map, our county
seems to be one of two in our state that has it. Considered
a Class B noxious weed.... rats!
Next time we get in the pond I'll have the guys pull it out.
It can't really get anywhere from our pond, we are not
on a flood plain, but I did have two ducks in there the other
day and they could transfer broken parts - all sorts of
things can be transferred from pond to pond via birdy feet.

One year I brought home purple loosestrife from the same
river, also making unwanted in rounds in our rivers and
wetlands. I kept in a protected place, grew it for a while,
saw who tough it was and then dried it out before it made
any seeds. It stayed in a dry spot and went thru a rotten
winter and darned if it didn't come back to life. Franken
Plant!! This time made sure it wouldn't come back to life.

k :-)

Old 16-04-2008, 12:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:32:46 EDT, "Pete C" wrote:

I think this is it Jan...................
http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/a...ba/cabomba.htm

Okay... so looks a lot like hornwort:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4t9bte

What's the difference? ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 16-04-2008, 12:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:50:20 EDT, kathy wrote:

Cabomba caroliniana is its official name.

Is it any less prickly than hornwort? I know I had some of that in the
pond, and got rid of it pronto when it kept sticking me and feeling like I
was getting bitten by water bugs. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 16-04-2008, 04:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Beautiful day here in Colorado Springs (forecast for 1-2 inches of
snow tomorrow, but hey!) so I pulled out the pump, attached a few
connections, put in some strapping for filter media in the stock
tanks, filled the priming pot and line, plugged in the pump and
listened to the wonderful sound of the water fall! Filling the pond
this evening and looking forward to starting on the "upgrade" to the
pond soon.
SO nice to have the waterfall back! My koi are so happy, I was a
couple break the water! LOL
W. Dale

Old 16-04-2008, 04:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Very soft, the frogs like to hang out on top
of it and watch for winged tasties.

k :-)

Old 16-04-2008, 07:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

I think this is it Jan...................
http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/a...ba/cabomba.htm

Okay... so looks a lot like hornwort:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4t9bte

What's the difference? ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Don't know. Googling plant retailers shows them listed together as
oxygenators, so they must differ somehow?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 16-04-2008, 09:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pete C wrote:

Don't know. Googling plant retailers shows them listed together as
oxygenators, so they must differ somehow?

I must say that in the UK the habit of labelling pond plants just as
"oxygenators" drives me slightly nuts as I want the plants but also like
to know what I have put in my pond....

Interesting on the cabomba ID - is this the same plant that is also sold
for aquariums? I tend to throw it out by the bucket load from my
aquariums but have been wondering if I could use it outdoors in my pond
as well but have never seen it sold as a "pond" plant over here

Gill

Old 17-04-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gill Passman wrote:
Pete C wrote:

Don't know. Googling plant retailers shows them listed together as
oxygenators, so they must differ somehow?

I must say that in the UK the habit of labelling pond plants just as
"oxygenators" drives me slightly nuts as I want the plants but also
like to know what I have put in my pond....

Interesting on the cabomba ID - is this the same plant that is also
sold for aquariums? I tend to throw it out by the bucket load from my
aquariums but have been wondering if I could use it outdoors in my
pond as well but have never seen it sold as a "pond" plant over here

Gill

My only contact with Cabomba has been with aquaria. I had tanks many years
ago. I used it in tropical tanks.........don't know how it would survive in
cold watr ponds.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 17-04-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Yes, the same stuff, more or less, as sold for
aquariums. This version probably isn't as lush.
It survives our winters, coldest is usually about
5 degrees F, but has gotten colder.
As long as it isn't listed as a noxious plant for
the UK. Nobody has started policing ponds here
yet... though we have wondered about pond police
and illegal water hyacinth down south.
k :-)

Old 17-04-2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"kathy" wrote in message
This is a backyard wildlife pond so all critters are welcome,
even the luckless heron who has yet to catch anything or
even spook the fish. Not sure if it is the depth, the way
it is built, the big growth of camboda on the surface or
just an untalented bird.

=====================
I don't know what kind of plant camboda is but the heron here cleaned out
the smallest and 1st pond I put in. Even with all the plants to hide in he
got all but one. He (or she) also knocked over all the plants and just
trashed the little pond. We're in the process of removing this smallest pond
and will fill the hole this spring.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 17-04-2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Pete C" wrote in message
My only contact with Cabomba has been with aquaria. I had tanks many years
ago. I used it in tropical tanks.........don't know how it would survive
in cold watr ponds.

I never could get it to survive in any of my aquariums and just gave up on
it.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.