GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Raccoons & motion sensing lights (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/173472-raccoons-motion-sensing-lights.html)

emceemc 24-04-2008 02:26 AM

Raccoons & motion sensing lights

This year I am considering a motion sensing light directed at my pond.
Anybody ever try this or know the conventional wisdom on its
effectiveness as a raccoon defense? I don't want to tackle the project
without at least some hope of success.

Joe[_12_] 24-04-2008 02:35 AM

emceemc wrote:

This year I am considering a motion sensing light directed at my pond.
Anybody ever try this or know the conventional wisdom on its
effectiveness as a raccoon defense? I don't want to tackle the project
without at least some hope of success.

Lights won't frighten away a raccoon. I would opt for a motion activated
sprinkler (Scarecrow)

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

~ jan[_3_] 24-04-2008 06:17 AM

emceemc wrote:

This year I am considering a motion sensing light directed at my pond.
Anybody ever try this or know the conventional wisdom on its
effectiveness as a raccoon defense? I don't want to tackle the project
without at least some hope of success.

Lights won't frighten away a raccoon. I would opt for a motion activated
sprinkler (Scarecrow)
San Diego Joe

Agree with Joe. Motion light did nothing to stop the raccoon here in 2000,
but the motion activated sprinkler hasn't see them come back since I set it
up and I know they're around, they've been sighted. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

©anadian Ponder[_2_] 24-04-2008 07:05 PM

emceemc wrote:
This year I am considering a motion sensing light directed at my pond.
Anybody ever try this or know the conventional wisdom on its
effectiveness as a raccoon defense? I don't want to tackle the project
without at least some hope of success.

I use it for skunks but I think raccoons will eventually get used to it
and NOT be afraid. I have literally used a power soaker to chase
raccoons and they seem to like it.

I too vote for a sprinkler as it is high powered.

kathy[_3_] 24-04-2008 07:06 PM

Raccoons & motion sensing lights

I have two motion devices that emit a high pitch
sound when they sense the odor and motion
of a raccoon - labradors.

Of course that only works when they are outdoors. You
can't do much raccoon patrolling when you are holding
down the sofa, sound asleep.

k :-)

Chris Barnes 24-04-2008 07:06 PM

~ jan wrote:
Agree with Joe. Motion light did nothing to stop the raccoon here in

2000,
but the motion activated sprinkler hasn't see them come back since I set it
up and I know they're around, they've been sighted. ~ jan

I have found that the only effective raccoon deterrent is a .22LR.
Where I live, it is legal to take them at night, with a night vision scope.

Ymmv.

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

emceemc 25-04-2008 11:25 PM

Raccoons & motion sensing lights

Thanks. I guess I won't go to the trouble.

I have a small 50 gal pond in Chicago with a deep area of about 24". I
have kept fish reasonably safe over the last few years with a grate
system over the deep spot. At first I used essentially a ball of
twisted tomato cages. Last year I went to an old barbeque grill
secured by flagstones. Carnage has been greatly limited.

~ jan[_3_] 26-04-2008 12:14 AM

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:06:46 EDT, Chris Barnes wrote:

~ jan wrote:
Agree with Joe. Motion light did nothing to stop the raccoon here in

2000,
but the motion activated sprinkler hasn't see them come back since I set it
up and I know they're around, they've been sighted. ~ jan

I have found that the only effective raccoon deterrent is a .22LR.
Where I live, it is legal to take them at night, with a night vision scope.

Ymmv.

I'm sure where I'm at a snack of easy to get cat or dog food left on some
the porch is better than difficult fish catching.... but the sprinkler has
keep the ponds free of them making mess of the plants the last 8 years. I
actually wondered if we even had any around, but when my boys finally
spotted one.... Well... before the screens came off I had the motion
sprinklers back on. Train 'em before they're tempted is my motto. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us