Old 27-05-2008, 01:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Killing frogs

Does anyone know what kills frogs by chewing off all their legs and leaving
the body behind? I suspect a cat. I know herons and snakes eat them whole.
There are no snappers in the ponds because of the nets. What other than a
cat would do this to frogs. We have almost no frogs left and were once
crawling with them.

The smaller 900g pond no longer has a net or fish. It's for lilies and frogs
now... but there are almost no frogs now. :*(
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 27-05-2008, 02:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:
Does anyone know what kills frogs by chewing off all their legs and
leaving the body behind? I suspect a cat. I know herons and snakes eat
them whole. There are no snappers in the ponds because of the nets. What
other than a cat would do this to frogs. We have almost no frogs left
and were once crawling with them.

The smaller 900g pond no longer has a net or fish. It's for lilies and
frogs now... but there are almost no frogs now. :*(

My cat kills frogs in the way described.....usually it is just the guts
left on the doorstep with maybe a leg or two to allow you to identify
the poor victim but not always....he did bring in a grass snake once and
deliver the entire body onto one of the children's beds at lights
out....of course following the screams lights out extended quite a few
hours afterwards that evening.....

Seriously frogs seem to be quite fickle.....my old water
feature/fountain thingy had at least 4 frogs in residence....my
replacement pond only has two at the moment but it is new.....I would
suspect that the changes you have made to the pond have caused the frogs
to decamp for a while - they or their desendants, or new frogs will
probably be back next year if not sooner....they seem to have a great
ability to sniff out water

Gill

Old 27-05-2008, 04:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

(waving to Gill!)

A friend's cat left half a frog on her carpet, the bottom
half. I think, if it is a pet cat, and they are fed, they
really don't have the appetite to finish off their prey
and maybe it doesn't taste as good as Tasty Kitty
Kibbles.

k :-)

Old 27-05-2008, 03:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:
Does anyone know what kills frogs by chewing off all their legs and
leaving the body behind? I suspect a cat. I know herons and snakes eat
them whole. There are no snappers in the ponds because of the nets. What
other than a cat would do this to frogs. We have almost no frogs left and
were once crawling with them.

The smaller 900g pond no longer has a net or fish. It's for lilies and
frogs now... but there are almost no frogs now. :*(

My cat kills frogs in the way described.....usually it is just the guts
left on the doorstep with maybe a leg or two to allow you to identify the
poor victim but not always...

This cat chews all the legs off or just the back legs and leaves the entire
body there. This last frog was still alive with no legs and died in my hand.
I was sick.

..he did bring in a grass snake once and
deliver the entire body onto one of the children's beds at lights
out....of course following the screams lights out extended quite a few
hours afterwards that evening.....

I can imagine! :-O If this cat is killing snakes I'm not finding the
bodies. We have a lot of snakes here due to the rocky wooded area behind
the house. All the neighbors here are sick to death of people dumping cats
instead of taking them to the shelter.

Seriously frogs seem to be quite fickle.....my old water feature/fountain
thingy had at least 4 frogs in residence....my replacement pond only has
two at the moment but it is new.....I would suspect that the changes you
have made to the pond have caused the frogs to decamp for a while - they
or their desendants, or new frogs will probably be back next year if not
sooner....they seem to have a great ability to sniff out water

The numbers were low before we cleaned out the ponds this weekend. I noticed
less frogs at my neighbors stock pond as well, but didn't look in the grass
for dead ones.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-05-2008, 06:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:
Does anyone know what kills frogs by chewing off all their legs and
leaving the body behind?

FRENCHMEN

Old 28-05-2008, 09:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Does anyone know what kills frogs by chewing off all their legs and
leaving the body behind?

©anadian Ponder wrote:
FRENCHMEN

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
k :-)

Old 29-05-2008, 04:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"©anadian Ponder" " wrote in message
.com...
Reel McKoi wrote:
Does anyone know what kills frogs by chewing off all their legs and
leaving the body behind?

FRENCHMEN

===========================
I'll keep my eyes open for them. I hope they're good looking. ;-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-05-2008, 11:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:

©anadian Ponder wrote:

FRENCHMEN

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
k :-)

They taste just like chicken.....but with the disadvantage that there
just isn't as much meat on a frog leg as there is on a drumstick or
chicken wing....

Gill

Old 31-05-2008, 12:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gill Passman wrote:

kathy wrote:

©anadian Ponder wrote:

FRENCHMEN

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
k :-)

They taste just like chicken.....

Frenchmen??

but with the disadvantage that there
just isn't as much meat on a frog leg

Oh...
--
derek

Old 31-05-2008, 12:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Woe is me. Not enough wine in the world, I expect, to
try frog legs or snails! FrogZilla, out in the pond as I
type, is relieved to hear it.

k :-)

Old 31-05-2008, 02:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:

Woe is me. Not enough wine in the world, I expect, to
try frog legs or snails! FrogZilla, out in the pond as I
type, is relieved to hear it.

k :-)

Snails do not taste like either Frenchmen or chicken. They taste something
like shrimp (though it's rather hard to tell, as they're traditional killed
by drowning them in garlic).
--
derek

Old 31-05-2008, 02:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:
Woe is me. Not enough wine in the world, I expect, to
try frog legs or snails! FrogZilla, out in the pond as I
type, is relieved to hear it.

k :-)

Hmmmm....now snails with garlic butter and a bit of parsley are an
entire different ball game to frogs legs.....bit chewy and gritty if not
prepared correctly but very nice once you get over the thought that you
are eating a snail.....

I find it interesting how certain foods are acceptable to certain
cultures and how even those more adventurous still cannot pallet the
thought of eating certain creatures.....over here there is a move
towards marketing grey squirrels (may contain traces of nuts) but I
can't quite bring myself to try....kangaroo meat, crocodile and
allegator steaks have been available for years - but I can't quite get
my head around serving them up for tea.....

A friend of mine's Mother was nuts about her Koi.....they had Japanese
guests.....the culture is that they bring a gift to the host....in this
case they did a bit of research and discovered that she was very fond of
these fish....so they bought her 4, nicely gutted and wrapped in
newspaper ready to serve for dinner once suitably cooked.....

Gill

Old 31-05-2008, 02:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Derek Broughton wrote:

They taste just like chicken.....

Frenchmen??

Never tried eating one myself but I'm pretty sure if I did that they
would taste just like chicken - lol

Gill

Old 31-05-2008, 03:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Where I lived in Canada Frenchmen were not native
west of the Rockies.

k :-)

Old 31-05-2008, 09:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"kathy" wrote in message
Woe is me. Not enough wine in the world, I expect, to
try frog legs or snails! FrogZilla, out in the pond as I
type, is relieved to hear it.

k :-)

=====================
I had snails in a wine sauce in a French Restaurant in NYC years ago. They
were delicious.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 08:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 11:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 07:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 06:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 06:20 AM