Old 27-05-2008, 04:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default black fish with white spots

I just put my gold fish out to the pond a few weeks ago and now my black fan
tail has raised white- ish spots all over his body ,more around his gills.I
have never seen this before ,he is 2 yrs old .anyone have any suggestions.

Old 27-05-2008, 09:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On May 27, 10:05 am, "wilma" wrote:
I just put my gold fish out to the pond a few weeks ago and now my black fan
tail has raised white- ish spots all over his body ,more around his gills.I
have never seen this before ,he is 2 yrs old .anyone have any suggestions.

Wilma this sounds like ICK. Do some research on Google and I'm sure
you will find pics and cures. Usually not to hard to get rid of.I
think we used salt, but my senior citizen brain refuses to pull that
info up. Imagine that!!
Good Luck,
Nan

Old 28-05-2008, 05:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:05:19 EDT, "wilma" wrote:

I just put my gold fish out to the pond a few weeks ago and now my black fan
tail has raised white- ish spots all over his body ,more around his gills.I
have never seen this before ,he is 2 yrs old .anyone have any suggestions.

Tiny like salt or more like pimples? If on just the gills and front of the
pec fins, this means your goldfish is a boy. If all over the body, it is
ick. Bring it back inside to a tank and treat with 0.3% salt. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-05-2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

thanks for the help, it is definitly ick,i will put him back inside and put
some salt in the water.I also read to use an antibiotic also,my fish has
the ick ALL over ,poor guy.

Old 28-05-2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:05:19 EDT, "wilma" wrote:

[ . . . ]
Tiny like salt or more like pimples? If on just the gills and front of
the pec fins, this means your goldfish is a boy. If all over the body, it
is ick. Bring it back inside to a tank and treat with 0.3% salt. ~ jan

Ick (Ichthyophthirius multifilis) can spread rapidly. Keep an eye on your
other fish.

Jan's recommendation is excellent and used successfully by many ponders and
aquarium folks. You'll find an excellent treatise at:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FA/FA00600.pdf

This is a five page .pdf file

Don't use copper sulfate unless you know your pond chemistry and know what
you're doing!

Malachite Green is extremely toxic. There's a product which combines
Malachite Green with formalin, which have a synergistic effect when
combined and thus can be used at lower concentrations, with care. Product
information at:

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/ridich_pond/index.htm

Good luck with your fishies!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 29-05-2008, 04:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"wilma" wrote:
thanks for the help, it is definitly ick,i will put him back inside and
put some salt in the water.I also read to use an antibiotic also,my fish
has the ick ALL over ,poor guy.
"~ jan" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
Tiny like salt or more like pimples? If on just the gills and front of
the pec fins, this means your goldfish is a boy. If all over the body,
it is ick. Bring it back inside to a tank and treat with 0.3% salt. ~

FYI 100 gallons of water weighs 833 lbs. 0.3% salt (uniodized) would be 2.5
lbs/100 gallons.

Hope the little guy makes it. Remember to keep an eye on your other fish
and treat the pond! Ich multiply at an alarming rate.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 30-05-2008, 03:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:15:39 EDT, "wilma" wrote:

thanks for the help, it is definitly ick,i will put him back inside and put
some salt in the water.I also read to use an antibiotic also,my fish has
the ick ALL over ,poor guy.

No need for an antibiotic, and I wouldn't recommend doing both. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 30-05-2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

well, i moved my fish to a 15 gal tank ,where he was before,and put some
aquarium salt in and its been 24 hours and he looks 50 % better.he is even
looking for food.I got some ick fast dissolving tablets and will put one in
later.My other fish still in the pond don't seem to have any ick yet ,but
iam watching them.

Old 31-05-2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 30 May 2008 09:19:07 EDT, "wilma" wrote:

My other fish still in the pond don't seem to have any ick yet ,but
i am watching them.

My understanding about ick is that it is always present unless the water
temp is very high, over 84F kills it (I believe). A fish under stress, like
just being moved out to the pond from inside, will some time catch it.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-06-2008, 04:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I couldnt find Meyer 1984. found this
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA006
"Water temperature can be gradually raised to 90°F, maintained there fo
r 24 hours,
and then gradually dropped to 70°F for 48 hours. The infective juvenile
s (tomites)
will be killed while the water temperature is at 90°. When the temperat
ure is dropped
the adult organisms will fall off the fish and begin to reproduce. As the
young begin
to emerge 48 hours later, the temperature is again raised to 90°F, caus
ing them to
die. Repeating this process continuously (24 hours at 90° F followed by
48 hours at
70° F) for two weeks should control the disease. Cleaning the tank ever
y second day
will help remove cysts before they rupture and therefore help to prevent
completion
of the life cycle. If you decide to use temperature to control "Ich" in y
our home
aquarium be sure that the type of fish in your tank can tolerate the temp
erature
extremes involved."

Ingrid

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:19:13 EDT, ~ jan wrote:
Correction. It can be killed at 89.5 degrees F.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
~ jan

Rate This Thread: