GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Red Eyed Striper turtles (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/175282-red-eyed-striper-turtles.html)

Peter Pan[_3_] 01-06-2008 02:07 AM

Red Eyed Striper turtles

I just added 3 red eyed striper turtles to my pond that a friend gave
me. The smallest was about the size 0f a fifty cents piece. We then took
him out and placed him in a tank to grow some before returning to the pond.
If the water wasn't so murky we could actually enjoy them more. Oh well
when it clears then we can really enjoy them

Phyllis and Jim 01-06-2008 11:08 PM

Red Eyed Striper turtles

Turtles sometimes go walkabout.

Jim

Peter Pan[_3_] 02-06-2008 04:30 AM

Red Eyed Striper turtles

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Turtles sometimes go walkabout.

Jim

I had a bull frog that couldn't get out, I doubt the turtles will be
able to leave on their own.. The Rocks are piled pretty good and its a
steep incline for them.

The Ajo Clowder >^.^ 02-06-2008 02:05 PM

Red Eyed Striper turtles

Do the turtles have a place in the pond they can climb on to bask? My
red-eared sliders have some rocks and a tree trunk for their sunning
spots. They also manage to climb up a fairly sharp include.....they're
miniature tranks! My oldest is about 8 or 9 years old now and about 10"
in diameter. Hope you enjoy your guys.
Gabrielle

Peter Pan[_3_] 02-06-2008 03:20 PM

Red Eyed Striper turtles

Peter Pan wrote:
Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Turtles sometimes go walkabout.

Jim

I had a bull frog that couldn't get out, I doubt the turtles will be
able to leave on their own.. The Rocks are piled pretty good and its a
steep incline for them.

I bought a plastic lily pad for them to sun bathe

Reel Mckoi 03-06-2008 02:46 AM

Red Eyed Striper turtles

Peter Pan wrote:
Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Turtles sometimes go walkabout.

Jim

I had a bull frog that couldn't get out, I doubt the turtles will be
able to leave on their own.. The Rocks are piled pretty good and its a
steep incline for them.

I bought a plastic lily pad for them to sun bathe

===================================
Make sure they have a sturdy place to bask and dry themselves in the sun and
air. A partly submerged log is good. They need sun to prevent rickets and to
dry off to prevent shell funguses and infections. We found a small red
eared slider in the 2000g pond last weekend when we drained it down to
clean. We have no idea how he got there or where he came from. We don't see
red-ears in the neighbor's stock pond. Two years ago it was one of those
black sliders. We took him to the lake when we found him trying to escape a
few times.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.