Old 02-06-2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Salting Pond

We have a pond that holds 3,275 gallons of water. We have 20 koi in it
& some of them are flashing. We was told to use salt. we was wondering
what would be the amount we need & if we can use it in conjunction
with lymnozyme.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"burky" wrote in message
We have a pond that holds 3,275 gallons of water. We have 20 koi in it
& some of them are flashing. We was told to use salt. we was wondering
what would be the amount we need & if we can use it in conjunction
with lymnozyme.

======================
Just a reminder. Remove plants if you're going to use a therapeutic dose of
salt.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:56:16 EDT, burky
wrote:

We have a pond that holds 3,275 gallons of water. We have 20 koi in it
& some of them are flashing. We was told to use salt. we was wondering
what would be the amount we need & if we can use it in conjunction
with lymnozyme.

Start out with 0.1% or 27.292 lbs of salt. You can round that up to 28 and
see if that helps. Locally we get Morton's water soften salt in a blue bag.
You want salt that is something like 99% pure, no additives. Yes, Lymnozyme
is okay, and good to have in there when flashing.

If they continue flashing you may have to go higher, but don't go over 28
lbs in one day. If they are all flashing, and doing it a lot. You may have
to scrape and scope your fish to know what is bugging them and what
treatment course will work.

Some plants are sensitive to salt over 0.1%. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

Could I use something like Instant Ocean?

Old 03-06-2008, 04:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:56:10 EDT, Peter Pan
wrote:

Could I use something like Instant Ocean?

That definitely has salt in it but first I'd go to the local hardware,
like Lowe's or Home Depot to the water softener section and check the
price on their 40 lb bag of salt that is more than 99% pure salt. The
last I bought was about $4 a bag.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 07-06-2008, 01:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Peter Pan wrote:

Could I use something like Instant Ocean?

I asked the same question elsewhere when I needed to add salt to one of
my freshwater tanks in a hurry, only mine was Aqua Medic Reef Salt.
Although, the answer came back that I probably could in an emergency, on
balance I decided against it - cost being a major factor - a very
expensive way to salt a tank let alone a pond...oh, and also that I dug
out some "freshwater aquatic salt" that was hiding in a cupboard...

Go with something cheaper....it'll cost you a fortune to use Marine Salt
even if you do have it to hand

Gill

Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 10, 10:43 am, wrote:
the best salt is solar rock salt with no additives, the salt comes in huge

bags and
is used in water softening systems for humans.

Yep, that's what I use. About $4.70 a 40 pound bag at Lowe's and H-
Depot around here.

Dave

Old 10-06-2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Pond Addict" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 10:43 am, wrote:
the best salt is solar rock salt with no additives, the salt comes in huge

bags and
is used in water softening systems for humans.

Yep, that's what I use. About $4.70 a 40 pound bag at Lowe's and H-
Depot around here.
=======================
If I remember right I paid something like $3.29 at Wal*Mart for a 40 lb bag.
The price may have gone up since then.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Salting the pond Malcolm H Ponds 0 20-07-2003 08:45 PM
Salting the pond ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 0 16-07-2003 07:07 AM
my first pond and other first pond Scott Vande Krol Ponds 7 29-06-2003 07:08 PM
Leaves/Debris in Pond- Clean out in Koi Pond? MC Ponds 2 28-05-2003 03:08 PM
Shareholders Pond is an EPDM Pond BenignVanilla Ponds 5 28-04-2003 02:08 PM