Old 05-06-2008, 02:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Hazy Eyes

My largest fish, and of good Japanese blood, has developed a hazy film
look to her eyes. They may be a little bugged out too. She obviously
can still see well enough to see floating food and seems just fine in
all other ways.
Anyone ever heard of this?
She is over 24 inches long, and will come up and suck on your finger
if you stick it in the water. My 8 & 11 yr old grandsons get the
biggest kick out of this. I got the biggest kick out of a 17 yr old
nephew flinching when she tried to do it to him. I had told him they
have no teeth.
TIA for any suggestions or information.
Nan

Old 09-06-2008, 01:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:54:20 EDT, "Nan & Rich Zitney"
wrote:

My largest fish, and of good Japanese blood, has developed a hazy film
look to her eyes. They may be a little bugged out too. She obviously
can still see well enough to see floating food and seems just fine in
all other ways.
Anyone ever heard of this?
She is over 24 inches long, and will come up and suck on your finger
if you stick it in the water. My 8 & 11 yr old grandsons get the
biggest kick out of this. I got the biggest kick out of a 17 yr old
nephew flinching when she tried to do it to him. I had told him they
have no teeth.
TIA for any suggestions or information.
Nan

Hi Nan,

Earlier this year Ingrid mentioned that cloudy eyes can mean heavy slim
coat. Is there salt in the pond? If so, how much? Is she acting odd in any
other way? How about the other fish in the pond? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-06-2008, 03:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

Hi Jan, All the other fish look great, we can finally see them all!!
DH put in a UV light last week. She is healthy and active in all
other ways. We had put salt in the pond as they were coming out of the
winter slowdown. It has surely been diluted by heavy rains and
pumping off several inches of depth 3 or 4 times.
DH says he put in 20 #'s for 2500 gallons.
Still open to ideas.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

get a salt test kit for ponds. if they are tame, get your hand in there and feel the
slime coat. thick slime coat is sticky. both parasites and bad water conditions can
cause increased slime coat. Ingrid

Old 11-06-2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 10, 11:49 am, wrote:
get a salt test kit for ponds. if they are tame, get your hand in there and feel the
slime coat. thick slime coat is sticky. both parasites and bad water conditions can
cause increased slime coat. Ingrid

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:32:06 EDT, "Nan & Rich Zitney" wrote:

Hi Jan, All the other fish look great, we can finally see them all!!
DH put in a UV light last week. She is healthy and active in all
other ways. We had put salt in the pond as they were coming out of the
winter slowdown. It has surely been diluted by heavy rains and
pumping off several inches of depth 3 or 4 times.
DH says he put in 20 #'s for 2500 gallons.
Still open to ideas.

Thanks Ingrid, will do that as soon as we get skeeters around the pond
under control. They are as big a C5's and voracious in appetite. Damn
I hate those vampires. I'll Cutter-up and go out about noon and check
her slime coat.
Nan

Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nan & Rich Zitney wrote:
My largest fish, and of good Japanese blood, has developed a hazy film
look to her eyes. They may be a little bugged out too. She obviously
can still see well enough to see floating food and seems just fine in
all other ways.
Anyone ever heard of this?
She is over 24 inches long, and will come up and suck on your finger
if you stick it in the water. My 8 & 11 yr old grandsons get the
biggest kick out of this. I got the biggest kick out of a 17 yr old
nephew flinching when she tried to do it to him. I had told him they
have no teeth.
TIA for any suggestions or information.
Nan

Ooops, sorry, Koi do have teeth.
http://www.southtexaswgc.org/teeth.htm

--
Pete C
London UK

Old 16-06-2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nan & Rich Zitney" wrote in message news:fcfc5af0-
Thanks Ingrid, will do that as soon as we get skeeters around the pond
under control. They are as big a C5's and voracious in appetite. Damn
I hate those vampires. I'll Cutter-up and go out about noon and check
her slime coat.
Nan

this may be the strangest thing i ever heard - mosquitoes in a fish pond?
donna

Old 17-06-2008, 03:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 13:37:03 EDT, "D Kat" wrote:

"Nan & Rich Zitney" wrote in message news:fcfc5af0-
Thanks Ingrid, will do that as soon as we get skeeters around the pond
under control. They are as big a C5's and voracious in appetite. Damn
I hate those vampires. I'll Cutter-up and go out about noon and check
her slime coat.
Nan

this may be the strangest thing i ever heard - mosquitoes in a fish pond?
donna

I don't think she's talking IN the pond, but flying around and biting.
They've been horrible here also. Today the power went out and since the
patio is shaded I had to light several citronella candles so they wouldn't
enter the cracked slider where we were running the extension cord in from
the generator. Thankfully it was just a short outage, 2.5 hours and in the
early morning when it was still cool. Only problem is the skeeters have
every bit of shade covered to attack in. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 17-06-2008, 03:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 16, 1:37 pm, "D Kat" wrote:
"Nan & Rich Zitney" wrote in message news:fcfc5af0- Thanks Ingrid, will do that as soon as we get skeeters around the pond
under control. They are as big a C5's and voracious in appetite. Damn
I hate those vampires. I'll Cutter-up and go out about noon and check
her slime coat.
Nan

this may be the strangest thing i ever heard - mosquitoes in a fish pond?
donna

I said 'around' the fish pond.

Old 18-06-2008, 05:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

sloppy reading on my part. i seem to have mosquitoes that only lay eggs in
the fish ponds... i do try to keep all things that hold water emptied or
frequently changed (birdbaths) but my mosquito problem disappeared when i
put in a pond and i live by wetlands. do mosquito fish survive in bogs i
wonder? if not i am going to rethink putting one in.

On Jun 16, 1:37 pm, "D Kat" wrote:
"Nan & Rich Zitney" wrote in message news:fcfc5af0-
Thanks Ingrid, will do that as soon as we get skeeters around the pond
under control. They are as big a C5's and voracious in appetite. Damn
I hate those vampires. I'll Cutter-up and go out about noon and check
her slime coat.
Nan

this may be the strangest thing i ever heard - mosquitoes in a fish pond?
donna

I said 'around' the fish pond.

Rate This Thread: