Old 13-06-2008, 06:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Brand new to garden ponds

it is possible to set up little incubator areas using floating PVC and fine netting.
the water flows thru but the eaters do not. Ingrid

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:51:04 EDT, ~ jan wrote:
If you want frogs, don't put in fish, they eat frog spawn. At least tree
frog spawn. I'm not sure if anyone else has luck growing frogs with fish in
the pond?

Old 15-06-2008, 02:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

it is better to have it actually in the big pond, less chance of predators or
overheating,etc. also more food floating thru. Ingrid

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:29:27 EDT, ~ jan wrote:
I then move them to the
kiddy pool....

Old 16-06-2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

first mistake of new ponders is putting pond in low ground thinking this is
where pond naturally go - you do not have a natural pond. if you did it
would have both an in and out for new water. putting ur pond in a low area
will mean it getting contaminated with whatever chemicals you or ur
neighbors use on yard plants/grass and with any soil erosion. u can make it
look low by surounding it with rocks and having the liner up in the rocks.
donna - called lefty at the moment

"Pat" wrote in message

"~ jan" wrote

| Baskets lined with weed fabric

What is weed fabric?

| It would help us if you would explain what your plans are, advice
differs
| for a koi pond, a goldfish pond, or a water garden with just small fish
| eat mosquitos, etc. Size? Location? Power sources.... Depth? ~ jan

Small fish to eat mosquitos. I am mostly interested in cultivating frogs -
small green frogs - and providing amusement for local birds. It will be a
very small pond, definitely under 1k gallons. I am thinking of putting it
in
the lowest part of the property and letting it collect rainwater.

Old 17-06-2008, 06:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pat Pat is offline

"D Kat" wrote

| first mistake of new ponders is putting pond in low ground thinking this
is
| where pond naturally go - you do not have a natural pond. if you did it
| would have both an in and out for new water. putting ur pond in a low
area
| will mean it getting contaminated with whatever chemicals you or ur
| neighbors use on yard plants/grass and with any soil erosion. u can make
it
| look low by surounding it with rocks and having the liner up in the rocks.
| donna - called lefty at the moment

I joined the group and everything, but can't see a picture there.

I don't use any chemicals in the yard, and the location isn't where anyone
else's runoff could get to it. There won't be erosion either, my lawn is too
thick for that. Anyway I thought it would be a good way to keep it full of
water even if the liner developed a leak.

Old 17-06-2008, 03:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Evaporati0on is a significant factor for most of us. We add water to
the ponds on a regular basis. If your pond is at the bottom of your
yard, would that be near the house or a water supply line? Here in
Jackson, the rain is not enough or steady enough to keep our pond
full. We have an acre pond that fluctuates by as much as 10 inches in
a season.
Jim

Old 18-06-2008, 05:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I messed up - if thus doesnt work go to
http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/pondkeepers/photos

and dkats pond

donna
"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"D Kat" wrote

Old 18-06-2008, 01:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pat Pat is offline

"D Kat" wrote

| I messed up - if thus doesnt work go to
| http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/pondkeepers/photos
|
| and dkats pond

It's lovely, Donna! Thank you.

Old 18-06-2008, 02:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:17:09 EDT, "D Kat"

I messed up - if thus doesnt work go to
http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/pondkeepers/photos

and dkats pond

Hi donna,
Not the OP- but I also tried to look at the link yesterday with no
success. The links that you get when clicking on the photo link
suggest that you are subscribing to the Yahoo group- but you aren't.
[I don't know where they are really leading, but I had several windows
launch and kept going in circles with confirmation emails. I can't
replicate it now because yahoo recognizes me as a member.]

Then I subscribed in the regular way- going to groups.yahoo.com,
searching for pondkeepers, and subscribing.

I'm a member now- and your link works- but before I joined the photo
section was off limits.

Now this link works- but so does the one from yesterday.

Jim

Old 18-06-2008, 09:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

there is probably a more proper way to give that link and i should learn how
to do it but im working with one hand and half a brain right now... i will
try to find a better way of posting pictures.

what i should have made more clear was how it is set up - there is an inner
circle of rocks and the liner comes up over the outer edge. an outer circle
of rocks holds the liner up and in place. crushed rock and my favorite
rocks then hide the liner. now run off water cant foul the pond even though
it appears to be lower than the surrounding area -

donna

"D Kat" wrote in message

I messed up - if thus doesnt work go to
http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/pondkeepers/photos

and dkats pond

donna
"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"D Kat" wrote

Old 18-06-2008, 11:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pat Pat is offline

"D Kat" wrote

| there is probably a more proper way to give that link and i should learn
how
| to do it but im working with one hand and half a brain right now... i
will
| try to find a better way of posting pictures.
|
| what i should have made more clear was how it is set up - there is an
inner
| circle of rocks and the liner comes up over the outer edge. an outer
circle
| of rocks holds the liner up and in place. crushed rock and my favorite
| rocks then hide the liner. now run off water cant foul the pond even
though
| it appears to be lower than the surrounding area -

I suppose one could also surround a small pond with small gravel and let it
filter incoming runoff water. It wouldn't take out chemicals (not a concern
here) but would block most organic stuff.

Old 19-06-2008, 05:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

if u know ur not going to get runoff from an unknown source i would think
that the combination of stone/crushed gravel/pebbles etc would work nicely
if there were a large enough span. my serious problem came about when it
rained so intensely that the water was forced under the liner and the sides
collapsed... im not sure im protected from that... donna

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"D Kat" wrote

Old 20-06-2008, 03:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Wow, what a pain to get to your pictures Donna.

I'm still trying. I've tried to log in, and then I got an e-mail request
to: Answer these questions before we let you in. Donna, one word....
Photobucket. ~ jan ;-)
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-06-2008, 09:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

and here i thought this was the easiest way for anyone to get to them - the
only other one I have you have to join as well but I will try that next.
anyone have ideas on this please share - it just seems that picture sharing
should be far easier in the current state of the world.

donna

"~ jan" wrote in message
Wow, what a pain to get to your pictures Donna.

I'm still trying. I've tried to log in, and then I got an e-mail request
to: Answer these questions before we let you in. Donna, one word....
Photobucket. ~ jan ;-)
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: