Old 09-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Registered User

Default Blanket Weed, Can anyone please advise ?

Hi All,
We have a new raised pond in the garden, used the foundations from a greenhouse and built it up.
We duobled bricked it with the liner in the middle, then painted the inside block with A1 pond paint (epoxy).
We only have goldfish in it but I'm never wawy from the top of the garden with my coffee, watching them all having fun in a nice big pond, we have 6 large ones that we've had for 6 years, I also bought 10 medium sized as well as 10 small golden orfs (is this correct spelling ?)
I've attached a picture, hope you like it, a bit of an amateur, when it comes to ponds.
It's only taken 3 weeks and it seems that blanket weed has gone crazy !!
I've done limlited rersearch and I'm not sure whether to buy a vac or use tablets that you pop in and it dissapears ???
Can anyone tell me the best way to keep this weed down ?
Thanks in advance,
Craig.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Blanketweed gives way to vasculars that grab nutrients more
effectively. Our berm ponds (veggie filters) have blanketweed now and
are developing a better cover of hyacinth. The blanketweed will fade
away...rot...as the hyacinth grow.

Our main pond has no blanketweed...the koi think of it as a snack!
That also works!

More plants or more weedeating fish.

Jim

Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:37:35 EDT, craidon
wrote:

I've done limlited rersearch and I'm not sure whether to buy a vac or
use tablets that you pop in and it dissapears ???
Can anyone tell me the best way to keep this weed down ?
Thanks in advance,
Craig.

I'm not sure what might work best for you, but I have a hot tub
converted to a goldfish pond that is in full sun and it for some
reason won't support higher plants, but I just finished a 3 week
battle to rid it of string algae using Algaefix, by Pondcare. I
vacuumed the dead algae from the bottom to keep from dissolving it
back into the pond and feeding more algae. Unfortunately once you
start using a chemical, you are dependent upon a chemical to keep it
controlled. That is the reason I chose Algaefix over aluminum
sulfate. Alum works well and coagulates the dead matter on the
bottom, but repeated use will leave a tiny white ring around a black
liner that can become noticeable if used too often.

--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 13-06-2008, 12:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:33:57 EDT, Hal wrote:

I'm not sure what might work best for you, but I have a hot tub
converted to a goldfish pond that is in full sun and it for some
reason won't support higher plants, but I just finished a 3 week
battle to rid it of string algae using Algaefix, by Pondcare.

Even though the bottle claims not to hurt higher plant forms, don't believe
it, it is like slow death in a bottle for them, imo.

String algae is normal for a new pond till you get the shorter sweater
algae that will form on the sides eventually. Simply rake the worst of the
string algae out of the pond. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: