Old 09-07-2008, 12:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Treating Anchor Worms

Somehow, I managed to get a case of anchor worms. (Ok, so the fish
actually got them; not me. )

I've read about Dimilin and some sort of potasium (whose exact name
I can't quite remember right now). I'm simply wondering what
treatment has worked well for other folks and, perhaps, the best
place to get said treatment. I've even seen one source that
mentioned using a salt solution of about (I think) 0.3% to kill the
little buggers but not sure if that would work.

(I've already isolated the single obviously affected fish. The
pond itself is about 500-600 gallons and I know I need to treat the
whole thing.)

Advice?

(And for those keeping track, I've stepped away from the plants and
am having a lovely margarita. OOH! And the water lilies are about
to bloom, too!!!)

~~Bryan

* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Spam? | Reply if you want. E-mail *
* Take it out! | address changes frequently *
* (Damn Viruses!) | to foil spambots. *

Old 09-07-2008, 02:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 07:27:43 EDT, BB wrote:

I've read about Dimilin and some sort of potasium (whose exact name
I can't quite remember right now). I'm simply wondering what
treatment has worked well for other folks and, perhaps, the best
place to get said treatment. I've even seen one source that
mentioned using a salt solution of about (I think) 0.3% to kill the
little buggers but not sure if that would work.

Potassium permanganate or Dimlin will work. The first time I bought
Anchors Away it was PP, my later purchase of the same brand name was
Dimlin. I would probably look at container size and shelf life, since
I have almost a pound of dimlin left over and no use for it.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 12-07-2008, 03:54 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Hal" wrote in message
I have almost a pound of dimlin left over and no use for it.

========
Others here may be interested in buying some from you.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-07-2008, 12:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

For whatever reason, Dimilin in any form was difficult to find
locally.

Finally picked up a small bottle of it (treats 960 gallons). So,
here's the issue with that: The instructions say to use two
treatments 14 days apart. Which would be perfect if my pond was
480 gallons--it isn't, it's between 500-600 gallons. So, I dumped
in enough to treat 480 gallons yesterday and plan on doing the same
in two weeks. (Which would use up the entire bottle.)

I know I'm slightly undertreating but I didn't really want to spend
another $10-20 just for another couple of tablespoons in two weeks.

Does this sound reasonable to the more experienced among us or am I
just setting myself up for yet another infestation in the middle of
August? (The current infestation is not currently widespread; only
one obviously affected fish.)

~~Bryan

wrote in
. com:

Old 14-07-2008, 11:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 19:24:00 EDT, BB wrote:

[...]

You could have dropped the level of the pond so there was only 480 gallons
of water. ;-) Perhaps for the 2nd dose. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 15-07-2008, 03:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote in
:

wrote:

Finally picked up a small bottle of it (treats 960 gallons).
So, here's the issue with that: The instructions say to use two
treatments 14 days apart. Which would be perfect if my pond was
480 gallons--it isn't, it's between 500-600 gallons. So, I
dumped in enough to treat 480 gallons yesterday and plan on
doing the same in two weeks. (Which would use up the entire
bottle.)

You could have dropped the level of the pond so there was only
480 gallons of water. ;-) Perhaps for the 2nd dose. ~ jan
------------

Oh, come now! That would make too much sense!

It's something I did think of. But only after I'd dumped the half-
bottle in... And, with the way I have my pond-thing set up,
removing some water would be pretty easy.... Well, at least 50-ish
gallons of it, anyway.

On the upside, the one obviously affected fishie appears MUCH
better after only two days. Can barely see the spot where the *$%
&@! parasite was attached.

All's good it seems.

Old 17-07-2008, 02:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Finally picked up a small bottle of it (treats 960 gallons).
So, here's the issue with that: The instructions say to use two
treatments 14 days apart. Which would be perfect if my pond was
480 gallons--it isn't, it's between 500-600 gallons. So, I
dumped in enough to treat 480 gallons yesterday and plan on
doing the same in two weeks. (Which would use up the entire
bottle.)

You could have dropped the level of the pond so there was only
480 gallons of water. ;-) Perhaps for the 2nd dose. ~ jan
------------

Oh, come now! That would make too much sense!

Once in a while I get lucky. ;-)

On the upside, the one obviously affected fishie appears MUCH
better after only two days. Can barely see the spot where the *$%
&@! parasite was attached.
All's good it seems.
~~Bryan

Great! I wish raccoons were so easy. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: