Old 14-08-2008, 12:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Delurk, background, first questions

"kathy" wrote in message
Hmmmm, Donna, we may have to have a contest
to decide the laziest ponder between the two of us,
but that feels like too much work....... :-))

I always ask mineself what does Mother Nature do -
I figure she is a lazy ponder too. Lots of water, few
fish, doesn't feed them, lets the predators run wild,
lets the plants grow unchecked, doesn't ever
trim them, never cleans the pond, even lets it fill in
eventually. She's probably off in a corner of the garden
taking a nap.

k :-)

yep, about what I do. And without question the spitting contest would be
too much work...

D (damn - you just beat me - I capped my d)

Old 21-08-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Delurk, update, try humor

"~ jan" wrote in ...
"a425couple" wrote:
I have read all your good comments.
(and please do not think of me too negatively
as impossibily lazy, cheap, or stupid, ,
((I think I'm only moderately the above!))
but I doubt I even could do all the suggestions.)

We'd think nothing of the sort. In fact, I think most of us
can relate and than tailor our advice to the needs of the ponder.

I'm tardy, in my planned update and response.

Again, I very much thank everyone (esp. ~jan, kathy & Dkat)
on their information, ideas, and pleasant accepting manner.

The main update is,
very quickly after letting the 'frogbit carpet' expand
to cover almost all the surface, the level of 'green'
in the water decreased.
Within a couple days, I was able to recognize
"Floppy Lips, the orange and white Clown" even
when he was at depth of about 10"
That pond is still 'not good' - but I guess to me
acceptable. (My bottom pond is quite clear
and items on top of muck at 15" - quite visable).

We've had people go all the way to
microscopes, scrapings, classes, and meds to save a fish.
But not everyone
has the time, money, or energy to do so.

Yeah.
I would hope the majority of us have ponds,
to enhance our lives and bring pleasure.
(to us!! -- reminded of scene in Rocky Horror Picture
Show, , "I didn't make him for you, I made him for ME!")

When they become a big stress producer ---??
At some point, , , consider "What's the point?"

I've been on forums where I went for help and was
scolded for not doing what they said...
and then not doing everything to save a fish with half
it's face gone, because I decided to conk it on the head. There
is a point to which one can go, ---

Yes.
I'm not partial to the idea of getting a vet to do
a heart transplant to save a 'pet' fish.
Sadly, at some point every animal will die. Fact.

predation, nor will I choose to execute them for their
error of 'staying alive'.)

Most pet stores will buy them back for store credit.

Giggle, giggle, attempt at humor.
Hey, I'll admit my brain often enough is
off marching to the beat of a different drummer,,
and my sense of humor can have a plum bob line
with a couple knots and kinks in it --- so?

(I fully accept what you said above, and how that idea
might be helpful to some readers with problems.
And, true enough in the past, I've had koi, shubunkin,
and commets - but predation etc. now has me only
populated with mix of Petsmart .14 and .29 cent
"feeder goldfish" - several have lasted now 1 1/2 years.)

I can just see the scene.
I'm at Petsmart with a fish, wanting them to take it
back, give it a good home, and give me "store credit".

18 year old clerk, listens, rolls her eyes,
thinks (Geeze! Store policy tells me what to do with
these strange old penny-pinching coots who come
back with their receipt, a smelly dead rotting fish,
and wanting a refund on their 29 cent purchase,
but this nutcase is beyone the pale!!).
She says on loudspeaker, "Assistant Manager of
Aquatics - to front counter - Code 220"
(which is their PC code speak - for nutcase,
come help me and you better alert security).

21 year old assistant manager arrives, hears my
request, rolls her eyes, and thinks (Geeze!
Guess this is why I get to earn the real big bucks
of being an "assistant manager at Petsmart"!!!
Hmmmm. Promise him anything, just get this
strange dangerous man outta here before we need
a SWAT team closing us down for hours!!)
She says, "You bet sir, here's a store credit,
and I promise we'll give your fish a good home
for the rest of his 'natural life', now goodbye
(and LEAVE!) ."
(note - that as she was saying this, although her
hands were busy - she's crossed her toes -
to negate the semi-lie about good home and life!!)

Best wishes to all for a wonderful late summer.

Old 21-08-2008, 06:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Enjoyed the update and the post (especially image created of Petsmart
scenario) - Anyone who can quote "Rocky Horror Picture" by my definition has
a great sense of humor

Donna

Old 21-08-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:53:30 EDT, "a425couple"
wrote:

I can just see the scene.
I'm at Petsmart with a fish, wanting them to take it
back, give it a good home, and give me "store credit".

Yes.... even though I remember on a forum once that pet shops are required
to take back fish. I know Petco takes back pets, because our science
teacher goes in and adoptions them free. What one needs, if possible, is a
relationship with a non-chain.

Or... perhaps a relationship with a science teacher at a middle school?
;-)

Though you're probably very right that for fish, they have a vat off
Finquel made up in the back to drop returned (live) fish into.

Btw, sounds like you've experience PetsMart in full. ;-))) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 21-08-2008, 07:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Enjoyed the update and the post (especially image created of Petsmart
scenario) - Anyone who can quote "Rocky Horror Picture" by my definition has
a great sense of humor
Donna

I'd have to fully agree with that, are we showing our age? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 21-08-2008, 08:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

D Kat wrote:

Enjoyed the update and the post (especially image created of Petsmart
scenario) - Anyone who can quote "Rocky Horror Picture" by my definition
has a great sense of humor

Did you hear they're remaking it? That'll be a tragedy...
--
derek

Old 21-08-2008, 08:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
Enjoyed the update and the post (especially image created of Petsmart
scenario) - Anyone who can quote "Rocky Horror Picture" by my definition has
a great sense of humor
Donna

I'd have to fully agree with that, are we showing our age? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

nahhh - RHP is timeless.... Actually I think my 22 year old son may be
embarrassed that we like it... Nothing better than embarrassing your
children. Donna

Old 21-08-2008, 09:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Remaking RHPS?!?!?!
Oh, noooooo!
Can anyone hold a candle to Tim Curry??
(interesting we get from algae to RHPS :-)

k :-)

Old 22-08-2008, 05:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:

Remaking RHPS?!?!?!
Oh, noooooo!
Can anyone hold a candle to Tim Curry??

No, but perhaps I was premature. I picked this item up from one of my news
feeds last week, but a quick google shows that similar stories have been
published in mainstream media since at least 2002, so maybe it's not a real
threat!
--
derek

Old 22-08-2008, 05:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:
Remaking RHPS?!?!?!
Oh, noooooo!
Can anyone hold a candle to Tim Curry??
(interesting we get from algae to RHPS :-)

k :-)

Is that what he was holding???

Chip

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Delurk JW United Kingdom 17 27-11-2005 06:54 PM
delurk (hello! :)) and questions me Gardening 3 22-06-2005 11:13 PM
Delurk with chocolates and a question Gwenhyffar Milgi United Kingdom 60 02-05-2004 11:08 PM
Delurk with chocolates and a question - fish and tads David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 2 23-04-2004 03:08 PM
Delurk/Southern California pond questions Josh Mills Ponds 0 09-03-2004 05:13 AM