Old 16-08-2008, 07:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond Liner

Yesterday we were talking to a guy who builds ponds and he said that a
vinyl liner will crack in several years and a rubber liner is the way to
go. We were talking to him about how to redo our pond. Is vinyl, which
we have not going to hold up for many years?

Sheila

Old 16-08-2008, 09:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Sheila wrote:
Yesterday we were talking to a guy who builds ponds and he said that a
vinyl liner will crack in several years and a rubber liner is the way
to go. We were talking to him about how to redo our pond. Is vinyl,
which we have not going to hold up for many years?

Sheila

Vinyl will last 4/5 years if your lucky. Depends very much on how much
exposed material is in the sun. Butyl is the way to go, usually guranteed
for at least 20 years.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 16-08-2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pete C wrote:
Sheila wrote:
Yesterday we were talking to a guy who builds ponds and he said that a
vinyl liner will crack in several years and a rubber liner is the way
to go. We were talking to him about how to redo our pond. Is vinyl,
which we have not going to hold up for many years?

Sheila

Vinyl will last 4/5 years if your lucky. Depends very much on how much
exposed material is in the sun. Butyl is the way to go, usually guranteed
for at least 20 years.

Is Buytl a time of rubber? I've not heard of it before.

Sheila

Old 16-08-2008, 11:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:50:18 EDT, Sheila wrote:

Yesterday we were talking to a guy who builds ponds and he said that a
vinyl liner will crack in several years and a rubber liner is the way to
go. We were talking to him about how to redo our pond. Is vinyl, which
we have not going to hold up for many years?

Sheila

Vinyl tends to crack over time. Where EPDM (rubber) has more flex. Usually
they give the life span guarantee of EPDM as 20 years, but if not moved and
always covered with water I bet it last a lot longer.

Anyone have an EPDM pond going longer than 20 years? If so, how long?
Mine are 13. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 16-08-2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Sheila wrote:
Pete C wrote:
Sheila wrote:
Yesterday we were talking to a guy who builds ponds and he said
that a vinyl liner will crack in several years and a rubber liner
is the way to go. We were talking to him about how to redo our
pond. Is vinyl, which we have not going to hold up for many years?

Sheila

Vinyl will last 4/5 years if your lucky. Depends very much on how
much exposed material is in the sun. Butyl is the way to go, usually
guranteed for at least 20 years.

Is Buytl a time of rubber? I've not heard of it before.

Sheila

"Polyisobutylene" is synthetic rubber.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 17-08-2008, 12:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:

Vinyl tends to crack over time. Where EPDM (rubber) has more flex. Usually
they give the life span guarantee of EPDM as 20 years, but if not moved and
always covered with water I bet it last a lot longer.

Anyone have an EPDM pond going longer than 20 years? If so, how long?
Mine are 13. ~ jan

Does anybody have a good (read: cheap) source for LARGE 30'x60' EPDM. I
have heard the cheaper roofing EPDM is the same as the pond EPDM, but I
have also heard that it isn't. Anybody know the TRUTH?

Chip

Old 17-08-2008, 02:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

have heard the cheaper roofing EPDM is the same as the pond EPDM, but I
have also heard that it isn't. Anybody know the TRUTH?

Chip

Firestone makes most, if not all EPDM. Some roofing films have a fire
retardant,
but couldn't not find anything else. MSDS does not list a fungicide
content.
I hear it's all the same, save the FR. But....
Contact Firestone and ask.

Old 17-08-2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Yesterday we were talking to a guy who builds ponds and he said that a
vinyl liner will crack in several years and a rubber liner is the way to
go. We were talking to him about how to redo our pond. Is vinyl, which
we have not going to hold up for many years?

When a Georgia contractor says rubber liner, he probably means EPDM,
which some still call rubber, hard rubber or roofing sheet rubber.
Butyl isn't readily available here in sheets, although you may find
some in tapes and sealers for repairs. In fact you will be lucky if
you can find a roofing supply house that still handles sheet EPDM.
I'm in Warner Robins and my first EPDM liner, (An EPDM roofing sheet.)
came from Warner Robins Supply, a local building supply and my last
one from he
http://www.justliners.com/epdm.htm

No, the liner didn't go bad, the lawn timbers rotted. I changed the
pond from a wooden frame above ground to a retaining wall stone frame
above ground.

--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 17-08-2008, 05:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Sheila wrote:

Pete C wrote:
Sheila wrote:
Yesterday we were talking to a guy who builds ponds and he said that a
vinyl liner will crack in several years and a rubber liner is the way
to go. We were talking to him about how to redo our pond. Is vinyl,
which we have not going to hold up for many years?

Sheila

Vinyl will last 4/5 years if your lucky. Depends very much on how much
exposed material is in the sun. Butyl is the way to go, usually guranteed
for at least 20 years.

Is Buytl a time of rubber? I've not heard of it before.

Yes. It's extremely heavy, and really not the choice of _anybody_ who's
built a large pond before. EPDM (ethyl poly blah blah blah :-) ) is much
lighter, and often has the same guarantee. There are even lighter woven
HDPE (high density polyethylene) plastics - they're certainly the choice
for _very_ large ponds, because they're much lighter and cheaper than EPDM,
but they can sometimes be awkward, as they're stiffer than EPDM.
--
derek

Old 17-08-2008, 05:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I haven't purchased EPDM since 2001. Has this gone up in price since I
assume it is a petroleum product? What is the latest on prices? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 17-08-2008, 07:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Derek Broughton wrote:
Sheila wrote:

Pete C wrote:
Sheila wrote:
[...]

Heavy?? I don't know what you're thinking of Derek, but my liner is only
0.75mm thick.......no weight at all.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 17-08-2008, 11:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pete C wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:
Sheila wrote:

Pete C wrote:
Sheila wrote:
[...]

Millimeters? Not "mils"? Liners in N. America are generally measured in
mils, and a 75 mil liner is thick. If it's really .75 mm, that's 30 mils,
and I'd say too thin for an EPDM or vinyl liner, but not HDPE and _perhaps_
not Butyl. Either way, butyl is a lot heavier than any of the alternatives
at the same thickness. If it isn't heavier, it isn't butyl.
--
derek

Old 18-08-2008, 03:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Derek Broughton wrote:
Sheila wrote:

Pete C wrote:
Sheila wrote:
[...]