GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Request ideas / suggestions on fish ages (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/178738-request-ideas-suggestions-fish-ages.html)

a425couple 20-09-2008 05:53 PM

Request ideas / suggestions on fish ages

Currently, all my fish were purchased this spring,
or last spring/summer, as 'feeder goldfish' at Petsmart.
They sell for around $.29 fish about 1 1/4" to 2" long.
They sell for around $.14 fish about 3/4" to 1 1/4" long.
(I do not very often buy the latter - higher mortality rates!)

About how old do you figure fish of those 2 groups are?

Separate question, about what water temperature
do the 'breeders' use for raising them?
(or what is economicly / mortality wise, the ideal?)

~ jan[_3_] 21-09-2008 01:47 AM

Request ideas / suggestions on fish ages

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:53:27 EDT, "a425couple"
wrote:

Currently, all my fish were purchased this spring,
or last spring/summer, as 'feeder goldfish' at Petsmart.
They sell for around $.29 fish about 1 1/4" to 2" long.
They sell for around $.14 fish about 3/4" to 1 1/4" long.
(I do not very often buy the latter - higher mortality rates!)

About how old do you figure fish of those 2 groups are?

Keep in mind I'm just guessing. But I figure breeders are growing them fast
so they're put on the market, asap. That means a high carb cheap diet fed
often, (since longevity isn't their goal) they could be that big in 3
months. Very likely they are the same age and just separated by size at the
time they are sorted/culled, like chicken eggs.

Separate question, about what water temperature
do the 'breeders' use for raising them?
(or what is economicly / mortality wise, the ideal?)

Again a guess, but I bet most are grown down south were it is warm and they
don't worry too much about the temp. they just hope it stays above 65F.

But I could be totally wrong, perhaps they're born & raised in tightly
controlled inside tanks for all I know. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us