GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   10 Things You Must Know About Ponds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/179345-10-things-you-must-know-about-ponds.html)

JB[_1_] 22-10-2008 12:47 AM

10 Things You Must Know About Ponds

I caught a DIY "10 Things You Must Know About Ponds" program this afternoon
on TV. I was surprised to hear that "Filtration" was not one of the 10
things. sigh Years back I remember watching an episode on how to install a
pond with a stream leading into it. They simply laid two pieces of liner,
one on top of the other, to do the stream. Sometimes I wonder if the TV
talent has ever really completed one of these projects before.

Derek Broughton 22-10-2008 03:29 PM

JB wrote:

I caught a DIY "10 Things You Must Know About Ponds" program this
afternoon on TV. I was surprised to hear that "Filtration" was not one of
the 10 things.

Well, really, filtration is _not_ one of the 10 things you need - but
balancing bioload to capacity is, and if you want to keep more fish than
the natural capacity of the pond, you're going to need a filter.

sigh Years back I remember watching an episode on how to
install a pond with a stream leading into it. They simply laid two pieces
of liner, one on top of the other, to do the stream. Sometimes I wonder if
the TV talent has ever really completed one of these projects before.

They certainly don't have to stick around and worry about where all the
water's going.
--
derek

[email protected] 23-10-2008 04:33 PM

10 Things You Must Know About Ponds

Neither the writers nor the "talent" know squat about most things they are doing.
That is why certain DIY shows with people who DO know what they are doing get such a
large following, like Crockett, Julia Childs. Ingrid

adavisus 15-12-2008 01:10 AM

Filtration is of very little use or interest to most pond keepers and water gardeners, unless they intend to overstock a pond with fish

An attractively planted pond with a couple of happy fish is going to be a stable and very low maintenance feature without any need to squelch water about

Regards, andy
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/