Old 15-12-2008, 02:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Rec.ponds

Hadn't been over there lately. Took a look this morning. What a mess!

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 15-12-2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
Hadn't been over there lately. Took a look this morning. What a mess!

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

===================================

For some reason this moderated group doesn't get the pond people traffic
rec.ponds used to get. I don't think all NSPs have picked it up. Also,
several big ISPs dropped Usenet.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Yup, there's not many message boards where the moderation is competent.

Koiphen, Koishack, Aquascape, gardenbanter are some of the few places where you can go for a chinwag about ponding

Regards, andy
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
Old 15-12-2008, 08:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

====================================

For some reason this moderated group doesn't get the pond people traffic
rec.ponds used to get. I don't think all NSPs have picked it up. Also,
several big ISPs dropped Usenet.

If you filtered out all the garbage from rec.ponds with a set of
screeners or pre-approvers or something (what is the word I'm
searching for?) the result might well be something like you see on
this group. Just a thought.

Old 16-12-2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:28:48 EST, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
Hadn't been over there lately. Took a look this morning. What a mess!

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

====================================

For some reason this moderated group doesn't get the pond people traffic
rec.ponds used to get. I don't think all NSPs have picked it up. Also,
several big ISPs dropped Usenet.

If you filtered out all the garbage from rec.ponds with a set of
screeners or pre-approvers or something (what is the word I'm
searching for?) the result might well be something like you see on
this group. Just a thought.

I don't think there's a filter out there that could clean that disaster up.
Might make an interesting project though.

Old 17-12-2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Back in the days when there was no rpm, Phyllis and I went ahead and
filtered the trolls and flamers of rp. It worked, but all the nym
shifting meant that we constantly added names to the list for
filtering. That forced a look at the troll stuff, at least to that
extent. It is kind of like: To block me, you have to see me. The
lovely part of rpm is the simple fact that we do not have to weed
through the trolls to enjoy pond conversation.

We are sad for the loss of rp and grateful for this new group.

Jim

Old 17-12-2008, 02:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Below 55 no feeding? Hooey!

I must have mutant fish. Temps have been well below 55 for a month now, yet
my goldfish are active, and will still eat regularly. I saw more of them
today, then most days over the summer, though granted it went up to 50
today.

Oddly enough, some of my lilly pads are even still green, though the pond
was forzen over for most of last month.

(I'm in western NC at 3000 feet, btw.)

Just a very odd pond year!

Gareee

Old 17-12-2008, 01:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
[]
We are sad for the loss of rp and grateful for this new group.

When r.p.m became viable, I unsubscribed from rec.ponds and have not looked
back.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Old 17-12-2008, 01:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"G-Man" wrote in message
I must have mutant fish. Temps have been well below 55 for a month now,

yet
my goldfish are active, and will still eat regularly. I saw more of them

today, then most days over the summer, though granted it went up to 50
today.

Oddly enough, some of my lilly pads are even still green, though the po

nd
was forzen over for most of last month.

(I'm in western NC at 3000 feet, btw.)

Just a very odd pond year!

Gareee

=============================
All my fish are at the bottom for the winter. None have an interest in fo
od.
I sold all the ponds and fish behind the house through Craig's List. They
'll
be picked up in the spring. I think I have a home for the koi in the 200
0g
pond out front. They will go in the spring also. There will be a lot le
ss
work for us next summer.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 17-12-2008, 02:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Your lilies are impressive. Once ours get a good freeze, it is all
over. The water, however, helps as the freeze does not hit the lilies
as easily when they are on the surface of 32+ degree water. If we
have wind, it tends dramatically to increase the pad death!

Jim

Old 17-12-2008, 10:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:41:18 EST, "G-Man" wrote:

I must have mutant fish. Temps have been well below 55 for a month now, yet
my goldfish are active, and will still eat regularly. I saw more of them
today, then most days over the summer, though granted it went up to 50
today.

Oddly enough, some of my lilly pads are even still green, though the pond
was forzen over for most of last month.

(I'm in western NC at 3000 feet, btw.)
Just a very odd pond year!
Gareee

Just keep in mind that fish don't have access to weather.com and know when
a cold front is coming it. They eat today, it freezes tomorrow, they could
be popcicles when it thaws (even with all the precautions). ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 17-12-2008, 10:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:11:55 EST, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:

All my fish are at the bottom for the winter. None have an interest in fo
od.
I sold all the ponds and fish behind the house through Craig's List. They
'll
be picked up in the spring. I think I have a home for the koi in the 200
0g
pond out front. They will go in the spring also. There will be a lot le
ss
work for us next summer.

the text format.

Since this hasn't been figured out, I would suggest short lines with hard
returns. Perhaps that will keep your words together? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-12-2008, 02:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote:

I don't think there's a filter out there that could clean that disaster up.

Actually, I think (and have said so in the past) there is. But you need
people willing to not engage the trolls, and all it takes is one or two
otherwise sensible people and you get what we got.
I haven't had much to say, because domesticity is taking hold, and the pond
is frozen.

Happy Solstice, and bright blessings!

Nice to see another ham on the pond list!

Jerry
KB2GCG

Old 22-12-2008, 09:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gerald Simonowits wrote:
In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote:

I don't think there's a filter out there that could clean that disaster up.

Actually, I think (and have said so in the past) there is. But you need
people willing to not engage the trolls, and all it takes is one or two
otherwise sensible people and you get what we got.
I haven't had much to say, because domesticity is taking hold, and the pond
is frozen.

Happy Solstice, and bright blessings!

Nice to see another ham on the pond list!

Jerry
KB2GCG

My Dad, who sadly died this August was a radio ham - G3AKF/GM3AKF. Just
finished sorting his kit and donating it to the local radio club as per
his wishes.....They are over the moon....

Gill

Old 24-12-2008, 01:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Requiem for old RP?

Ponders are a friendly bunch by nature, and so many of us were very naive
when joining a pond group that we used real... or close to real names... so
the nastiness was far more personal. The old saying out of sight out of
mind, unless someone brings it up, I forget that it is even there. ;-)

The sad thing, in the time it took to get this group created so many
abandoned newsgroups for forums with moving icons & pictures. Personally I
like the fact that I never have to read the same message more than once.
;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: