Old 22-01-2009, 04:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default How Cold at Your Pond?

We have been to the low 20s four times now. Unusual for MS.

Cut down the mosquitos in the woods!

Jim

Old 02-02-2009, 05:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Huh! Water temp thermometer had dropped to the bottom of the pond. However,
At present (5pm GMT) Air temp at water surface is 1.1°C. Ten inches of snow
on the ground, no ice on the pond.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-02-2009, 04:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 12:04:16 EST, "Pete C" wrote:

Huh! Water temp thermometer had dropped to the bottom of the pond. Howev

er,
At present (5pm GMT) Air temp at water surface is 1.1°C. Ten inches of

snow
on the ground, no ice on the pond.

Saw this on the news, how you were all snowed in. It said something about
no snowplows in the city? Is snow that unusual? I heard there was even mo
re
snow coming. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 12:04:16 EST, "Pete C" wrote:

Huh! Water temp thermometer had dropped to the bottom of the pond.
Howev er, At present (5pm GMT) Air temp at water surface is 1.1°C.
Ten inches of

snow
on the ground, no ice on the pond.

Saw this on the news, how you were all snowed in. It said something
about no snowplows in the city? Is snow that unusual? I heard there
was even mo re
snow coming. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Yes Jan, snow is not as common as it used to be, at least here in the south.
Scotland tends to have more, The huge investment required for the equipment
to deal with this sort of snow fall just isn't worth it. It's about 25 years
since we had snow this deep.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 05-02-2009, 05:45 AM
Registered User

Single digits here in Ohio tonight. Warmer this weekend in the 40's. The last four years the temps/season has shifted. We get mild winters from December to late January/early February and then a cold blast for 2 to 3 weeks at that time. Then spring in March with temps in 40's to 50's and no summer until June.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pete C wrote:
~ jan wrote:
[...]

Snow is very unusual in the south of the UK.....as Pete says it just
doesn't make sense to buy snow ploughs that might get used once a
decade......however, we are now appararently running out of gritting
salt......we are using it quicker than it can be mined/produced.....

Right now, we are on a weather warning again....but it is
raining/sleeting rather than snowing.....it feels pretty mild compared
to the non-snow days - we are at a balmy 34F right now......apparently
it might turn around 3am and then continue for 6 hours....

We had a pretty large downfall, for us, this morning (I'm almost
embarassed to confess the amount considering the fuss that is being made
- but it was around 4") ....but we don't get snow usually other than a
light dusting on the odd occassion.....and we are not set up to deal
with it.....thankfully 2 of the kid's schools were open today and I just
had one lounging around the house today.....

Dunno how the fish are coping.....the pond tends to thaw during the day
and then freeze up again at night.....I guess I am powerless to do
anything other than ensure that there are air-holes in the ice....not
found any bodies when it does thaw so I'm hopeful....

Gill

Old 08-02-2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jan 14, 8:18 pm, "JB" wrote:
I'm located in central Arkansas. They're predicting lows of 13 on Thursda

night, the coldest so far. Just curious, what's the temperature like at y

our
pond?

TIA

JB

Today in Colorado Springs, we are going to get up into the low 50's.
A couple of weeks ago, we were in the single digits during the day and
minus's in the evening. The kio are doing ok at 57" down. Water
temperature has stayed in the mid to high 30's during the coldest of
days.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jan 15, 8:26 am, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
We are in Jackson MS. The prediction for Thursday night is 16
degrees. It got to 35 today, according to Jim's outdoor thermometer.
Jim has cut off the water to the pond and drained the pipes to protect
the ones above ground from the hard freeze.

Phyllis

THAT was some SERIOUS cold, Phyllis! How is it today? (Feb 7)

Old 08-02-2009, 04:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The temp has gone up a lot. Today was in the 70s. The freezes have
cleared the top of the pond. Jim covered the water hyacinth with
plastic, so they should do fine.

Phyllis

THAT was some SERIOUS cold, Phyllis! How is it today? (Feb 7)

Rate This Thread: