Old 18-01-2009, 01:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default move to Alabama

Howdy - I used to live near San Antonio TX (& was once involved in the
creation of RPM), now I'm in the Huntsville AL area. My pond goldfish
(and indoor tropical fish) made the trip in temporary
"tanks" (Rubbermaid 18 gal rough totes) in our 31' RV, along with the
6 cats. The tanks had heaters and sponge filters. All made it fine.
The goldfish are in yet another temporary tank inside the house, this
one a 45 gallon plastic tank containing about 30 gallons of water.
Heater, a sponge filter and power filter. Doing ok. We brought
their "pond" - a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stocktank. Plan to set it up
on the back deck once DH puts additional bracing under the (raised)
deck and once temps get warmer. We're near woods and former owner said
he's seen raccoon and other wildlife so I will probably get serious
about putting some barrier over the top of the tank.

Anyway, I've missed reading newsgroups and thought I'd check back in
here. We now have a DSL line and I haven't figured out how to access
newsgroups directly - we no longer use Outlook Express which I used
before for ngs. Google should work ok since I don't tend to post
much.

Best to all - Gail

Old 18-01-2009, 03:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Gail!

Welcome back.

You are in the same city as a bunch of Phyllis' relatives. It is
colder there than here in Jackson. It seems the cold air often sweeps
across Memphis and then toward Huntsville...as compared to down to
Jackson.

Post some pics once you get set up.

Jim

Old 18-01-2009, 06:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:10:01 EST, "Gail F." wrote:

Howdy - I used to live near San Antonio TX (& was once involved in the
creation of RPM), now I'm in the Huntsville AL area.

Gail, Welcome back. I bet if you installed a newsreader your ISP might
carry RPM. Otherwise there are other free newsreaders out there. Google
works, but I like that I can delete or save messages, and put them in alpha
and date order.

Don't worry too much about the raccoons, they can be dealt with. Make sure
they can't get their little paws thru whatever barrier you put between them
and the water.

After 12 years of only having one minor problem with them, my motion
sprinkler either wasn't turned up high enough or they'd gotten use to
it.... plus a population explosion in the area. I had 2 of them team up to
take one of my nicest, biggest, oldest fish. :'-( I've since put hot wire
(on a timer) around the koi ponds, so far no problems around the lily pond.
Now they just raid the squirrel feeder at night. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 19-01-2009, 05:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jan 18, 12:20 pm, ~ jan wrote:
[...]

Hi Jan and Jim and all -

At the moment, my plan is to use coated chicken wire over the top of
the 150 gallon stocktank. There will also be several hiding places on
the bottom on the tank for the fish. If that doesn't sound sufficient
to deter raccoons, I'd love some advice, since I have at least a month
or two before I'll set up the tank.

It's cool that Phyllis knows the area I'm in now - or at least her
relatives do! I know who to ask for advice on lots of things.

Best - Gail

Old 20-01-2009, 01:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gail F. wrote:
[...]

Welcome back I remember your name from the set-up. Yes, some pics
please.........pond, tanks, house and garden too
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 20-01-2009, 03:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis used to take a school group to the Space Center every year.
Her relatives have been there for decades. Enjoy.

Jim

Old 22-01-2009, 03:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

you have to have some method of chaining that wire over the stock tank or raccoons
will just pull it off. I vote for a hot wire around the edge. sprinkle some coyote
urine around. Ingrid

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:26:31 EST, "Gail F." wrote:
At the moment, my plan is to use coated chicken wire over the top of
the 150 gallon stocktank. There will also be several hiding places on
the bottom on the tank for the fish. If that doesn't sound sufficient
to deter raccoons, I'd love some advice, since I have at least a month
or two before I'll set up the tank.

Rate This Thread: