Old 27-03-2009, 06:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Frogs........

Where are the frogs? We heard them a few weeks
back and now..... nothing! By now we also usually
see them all around and in the ponds. Many small ones
that managed to get through the netting. All I heard last
night was one lone frog calling from somewhere in the
distance? Are the frog numbers normal where you are?
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-03-2009, 01:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

ReelMcKoi wrote:
Where are the frogs? We heard them a few weeks
back and now..... nothing! By now we also usually
see them all around and in the ponds. Many small ones
that managed to get through the netting. All I heard last
night was one lone frog calling from somewhere in the
distance? Are the frog numbers normal where you are?

The frogs here in my pond (SE England) spawned a couple of weeks ago

Gill

Old 28-03-2009, 04:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

ReelMcKoi wrote:
Where are the frogs?

The frogs here in my pond (SE England) spawned a couple of weeks ago
Gill

Nothing here, latest recorded time I have for them is April 1st, and often
I don't hear them till I get the waterfall going. I haven't even taken the
covers off the ponds, just this week the marsh marigold started to grow and
bud up, but not open.

Lousy weather today, overcast, barely above 40F and supposedly we're going
to get wind later this afternoon with possible gusts up to 55mpg. Oh fun.

This is my spring break and I can only hope it improves. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 28-03-2009, 09:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
ReelMcKoi wrote:
Where are the frogs? We heard them a few weeks
back and now..... nothing! By now we also usually
see them all around and in the ponds. Many small ones
that managed to get through the netting. All I heard last
night was one lone frog calling from somewhere in the
distance? Are the frog numbers normal where you are?

The frogs here in my pond (SE England) spawned a couple of weeks ago

Gill

===========================
They should be spawning here also, yet there are almost
none. I've only seen one toad. This is very strange. Last
spring we were overrun with several types of frogs and
the usual common toads. There are no nets on the ponds
now so they should be even more attractive to the local
amphibians. There are plenty of newts thought.

Even my neighbors farm pond a few hundred feet away
is free of chorus frogs. :-\ The din from there has always
been deafening when on the front porch.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-03-2009, 08:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Nan Nan is offline

ReelMcKoi wrote:
[...]

We have had fewer and fewer frogs here in DE also. We used to have a
dozen or so Leopard Frogs in the pond, but I haven't seen one in 2 or
3 years. We do have several Bullfrogs, and they may be the reason for
no Leopards.
Our Peepers started peeping last week. When they are at full tilt we
cannot keep the sliding door open in the den and still hear the TV. We
have not reached that point yet, however. And the temps have been at
freezing or below several nights the past 2 weeks.
I understand frogs are becoming less prolific in the last 10 years. I
do not know why, unless it is loss of habitat. But these guys here
haven't lost anything. We back up to a woods with a lot of marshland/
swamps in it, so they should be happy there.
Hope yours show up, they can be a source of entertainment in a quiet
garden.
Nan in DE

Old 30-03-2009, 03:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nan" wrote in message

[...]
======================
We see one bullfrog. The few frogs seen earlier this month are gone. We
have chorus, leopard, tree, green and cricket frogs here normally. And in
large numbers. Our house is also backed by woods. I'm in a semi-rural are
with hobby ponds and farm ponds being common. No shortage of breeding
places for frogs and toads. It's so unnaturally quiet outside at night th
at
it's
almost spooky.

I don't think it's as much loss of habitat as it is all kinds of chemical
being
used on lawns and gardens. Amphibians absorb in through their skins I re
ad.
When I'm at the garden centers in town I can't help seeing what people ar
buying. I see lots of lawn fertilizers that contain weed killers and gru
killers, I see all kinds of insecticides and other toxic stuff .... and a

good bit of
it washes into ponds and lakes. It may be reaching critical levels where

some
of us live.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 21-04-2009, 04:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:40:48 EDT, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:

Where are the frogs? We heard them a few weeks
back and now..... nothing! By now we also usually
see them all around and in the ponds. Many small ones
that managed to get through the netting. All I heard last
night was one lone frog calling from somewhere in the
distance? Are the frog numbers normal where you are?

Up until a few weeks ago I was wondering that myself. We had
virtually no rain here in January, February, March, well, right up
until the end, and I mean the night of the 31st we got about an inch,
then the next day (in April) another inch, and another during the
following week. Before then, no frogs, things were
uncharacteristically quiet in the evening. Then it got wet, and
Bingo! The frogs are really back in business now. It almost seems
that they are louder than ever, and the registers seem to be more full
now, there are more bass and baritone frogs than there used to be.

I noticed some turtles, too. The back pond isn't free of duckweed by
any means but this is the first time in two years that the pond hasn't
been entirely covered with duckweed. I think some turtles may
actually eat enough of it to make a difference.

Old 24-04-2009, 12:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message

Up until a few weeks ago I was wondering that myself. We had
virtually no rain here in January, February, March, well, right up
until the end, and I mean the night of the 31st we got about an inch,
then the next day (in April) another inch, and another during the
following week. Before then, no frogs, things were
uncharacteristically quiet in the evening. Then it got wet, and
Bingo! The frogs are really back in business now. It almost seems
that they are louder than ever, and the registers seem to be more full
now, there are more bass and baritone frogs than there used to be.

I noticed some turtles, too. The back pond isn't free of duckweed by
any means but this is the first time in two years that the pond hasn't
been entirely covered with duckweed. I think some turtles may
actually eat enough of it to make a difference.

====================Sounds like you have drought conditions where you live.

We've been getting plenty of rain this spring. I've seen a few tiny frogs
on the lawn and in the flower beds in the past few days, but no adults
breeding in the ponds. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any turtles
in the neighbor's stock pond either.

The nights are so unnaturally quiet it's almost creepy. :-\
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM