Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Season Startup

After having the majority of spring break weather be cold, windy, and
rainy so outside was no place to be... Today the sun came out... actually
it teased us yesterday, but today was nice enough to start the koi pond
filter and uncover them. Found a male tree frog in the bottom of the pump
chamber. I moved him to the stock tank in an island of floating water
cress.

Speaking of which, those islands came thru winter very nicely. Marsh
Marigold is blooming fully. Fish look good. Motion sprinkler & hot wire on
tonight.

Tomorrow the lily pond! :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 05-04-2009, 01:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our spring is also under way. But that means our las frost date in
the 10th! Our pond is getting moving. Lilies leafing and irises
growing strongly. The parrot's feather is multiplying and I will
uncover the hyacinth next week. It did well under its plastic. It
should begin growing in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone remember the temp at which koi and goldies begin to breed? No
foam yet.

Jim

Old 06-04-2009, 01:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
Jim and Phyllis wrote:

Our spring is also under way. But that means our las frost date in
the 10th! Our pond is getting moving. Lilies leafing and irises
growing strongly. The parrot's feather is multiplying and I will
uncover the hyacinth next week. It did well under its plastic. It
should begin growing in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone remember the temp at which koi and goldies begin to breed? No
foam yet.

Jim

Hi Jim,
Been away from the forum for quite a while. Built a new pond in the
meantime.
Today (Sunday, April 5) was an 80F day here on the California Central
Coast. My goldfish are certainly active since water is above 50.
I have mosquitofish, so have never had offspring. The largest of my fish
(once Petco feederfish- 12 for a dollar) is not about a foot long.
My lilies were growing even through Winter here. Hyacinth goes smaller,
but still pervasive.
Good area to have pond.
best to all of you.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Kurt,

Great to hear from you.

Any pics of your pond?

Jim

Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
Jim and Phyllis wrote:

Hi Kurt,

Great to hear from you.

Any pics of your pond?

Jim

Need to post these individually, but here's the story.

Had a pond in place, but wanted to relandscape it and put in waterfall
with a bigger pump.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...story/pond.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...tory/rocks.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ory/filter.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ory/pond-03.jp

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ory/pond-03.jp

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ory/pond-04.jp

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ory/pond-05.jp

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ory/pond-06.jp

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ory/pond-11.jp

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...story/fish.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...story/yard.jpg

Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jurt,

Nice pond. I like the bamboo by it.

Some of the pics have been pulled, but enough are still there to get a
look at your pond.

Jim

Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
Jim and Phyllis wrote:

Jurt,

Nice pond. I like the bamboo by it.

Some of the pics have been pulled, but enough are still there to get a
look at your pond.

Jim

The bamboo is the clumping variety. that bunch is a few years old, now.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:23:45 EDT, Jim and Phyllis
wrote:

Some of the pics have been pulled, but enough are still there to get a
look at your pond.

The URL is over one line on my screen and I had to add the second line
in the address box.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 09-04-2009, 12:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
Jim and Phyllis wrote:

Jurt,

Nice pond. I like the bamboo by it.

Some of the pics have been pulled, but enough are still there to get a
look at your pond.

Jim

None are pulled, I think it might be how your newsreader is displaying
the URLS. Make sure all end with .jpg

Old 09-04-2009, 12:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Some of the pics have been pulled, but enough are still there to get a
look at your pond.

The URL is over one line on my screen and I had to add the second line
in the address box.

I paste these into a text-only newsreader and have never used Google, so
don't know how it takes my URLs.
You get the idea, though. Sorry to make you do the work :-(

Old 12-04-2009, 12:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ry/pond-11.jpg

Welcome back Kurt! The waterfall turned out really well, very nice, love
the stones you used.

All ponds up and running around here. I had frogs last weekend, even one in
the filter, the weather has been very nice. I'm not sure why, but the frogs
have been quiet the last several nights and I'm wondering if the skunks or
raccoons got to them, I heard only 1, maybe 2. :-( Even though I've got 2
pondlets running where a bunch of taddies grew up in, out by the koi ponds,
none have shown up. :-( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-04-2009, 04:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ry/pond-11.jpg

Welcome back Kurt! The waterfall turned out really well, very nice, love
the stones you used.

All ponds up and running around here. I had frogs last weekend, even one in
the filter, the weather has been very nice. I'm not sure why, but the frogs
have been quiet the last several nights and I'm wondering if the skunks or
raccoons got to them, I heard only 1, maybe 2. :-( Even though I've got 2
pondlets running where a bunch of taddies grew up in, out by the koi ponds,
none have shown up. :-( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Thanks Jan,
Was looking for a more natural rock/pond environment.

No frogs around here. They'd need to travel a bit.
Cleaned the pond out today. Have some sort of large critter coming in
the yard at night. Has to scale a 5 ft. wall. Drinks and munches at pond.
Weather here is very mild. Did a lot of gardening today. Some new
planting.
Just ordered a replacement 40 watt Pondmaster ballast for my UV
clarifier. They work great, but the ballast lasted barely a season.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

startup club M.E. Gardening 3 15-02-2006 09:03 PM
Startup Plants - have extra? Josh Ponds 12 24-03-2004 08:43 AM
Bio-filter startup time? O3raledale Ponds 27 03-03-2004 04:10 PM
Aqua Medic CO2 Reactor Startup The Kenosha Kid Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-02-2004 04:03 AM
[IBC] sacrifice branches.. remove each season??? David J. Bockman Bonsai 2 15-02-2003 09:15 PM