GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   First Lily (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/182547-first-lily.html)

Joe[_12_] 12-04-2009 12:25 AM

First Lily

I have been watching this lily bloom reach for the sky for a week now. Today
it emerged and opened up. White and pink. Now it's REALLY spring!

I don't know if some of you remember, but in the old rec.ponds, a woman was
taking a bunch of lilies out of her pond and was mailing them to everyone
for postage. I don't recall where she lived but I believe in the east. I
divide every two years and I give them away here. Interesting to think how
these things spread about.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Jim and Phyllis 13-04-2009 02:55 PM

First Lily

You are ahead of us. Our lilies are pushing up pads, but no flowers
yet. Our irises are just really hitting the flowering season (and the
asparagus is just getting under way.

You have a good point about giving the lilies away. Ours are now 6
years without division...tubers like ropes all over. I guess we
should divide the, eh?

Jim

Jim and Phyllis 14-04-2009 01:31 AM

First Lily

Our first flowers are just poking their heads up. Both seem to be
white.

Jim

~ jan[_3_] 19-04-2009 03:40 PM

First Lily

Divided the ones in the lily pond today. Currently leaves are just a few
inches from the root, but a couple already had tiny buds on them. Have 2 do
in the koi pond yet, then the cannas and last all the other marginals that
need it. Many, many weekends from here to summer doing plants I suspect.
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us