Old 14-05-2009, 02:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default state of the pond

Well it went clear the bottom as of May 12th. I do have the UV on but I think the
plants really kicked in the veggie filter.
INgrid
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Old 17-05-2009, 11:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Water is clear. After a very cool spring we are finally getting some
steady warm temperatures here in Colorado Springs. I fired up my
pumps and filters a week ago and the water has cleared up.
Speaking of WH, anyone ready to compost or divide theirs up? I am in
need of some as they do not over winter here in Colorado very well.

Old 18-05-2009, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Mississippi is in full swing.

The irises are done flowering and sending up lots of new leaves.

Our parrots feather is growing all over the edges of its vegie
filter.

The lilies are flowering well.

The WH is beginning to divide well. The winter treated them badly this
year. We normally have 40-50 make it through the winter. This year,
we started the growth season with perhaps 20 weak WH. They are now
triple the number and growing well. They have covered 1/3 of their 4
x 8 veggie filter pond. I expect they will finish covering the filter
in June and we will have extra to send out.

No breeding yet, however.

Jim

Old 23-05-2009, 01:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We're getting a really nice Memorial Day Weekend here in Washington State.
Ponds and fish are looking good, a few buds coming on lilies, but it has
been a slow start. Iris hasn't even bloomed yet, but I noticed it is
preparing itself. Kathy said she had a lily bloom. No one in the koi/pond
club has yet to win the lily bloom contest. I divided up 17 lilies this
year and have sold all but 3.

Tomorrow I'm planning a big planting day of the terrestrial kind, then I'll
work on the last of the pond plants. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 23-05-2009, 02:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jan,

I had forgotten how much colder it was for you. Our black berries are
coming ripe now. And my corn is a foot tall.

The koi and goldies have not bred yet.

We are in Arkansas for the holiday at Riverfest in Little Rock,
selling Ugandan goods to help some impoverished women. They will have
250,000 through the gate, but lots fewer stop by a booth. They go to
hear Willie Nelson. If you want to see where we are, Google Miller
Light Stage at Riverfest, Little Rock.. Our booth is 100 yds south of
it in a long building. Killer hours today: 10 AM to 11 PM.

Jim

Old 24-05-2009, 05:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:53:01 EDT, Jim and Phyllis
wrote:

I had forgotten how much colder it was for you. Our black berries are
coming ripe now. And my corn is a foot tall.

I'm going to have a bumper crop of Raspberries this year. We didn't get in
and thin out the old canes last fall, so they are thick. I use to make
jam... but haven't since I went back to work.

The koi and goldies have not bred yet.

This is good to know, I've been watching for action on my wakins, hoping I
can see and save some babies from the filter trip this year. I've got foam
in the koi ponds, but I think that is pine pollen not hanky-panky. Will be
doing water changes more often. Not so bad this year as we took down the
worst offender.

Riverfest in Little Rock, selling Ugandan goods
Killer hours today: 10 AM to 11 PM. Jim

Ugh, my sister comes here and does a 2 day show and I sit the majority of
the day with her. Very tiring that... people watching. At least the hours
aren't that late. 9-9 first day, 9-6 the next. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 25-05-2009, 06:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On May 23, 6:56 am, ~ jan wrote:
We're getting a really nice Memorial Day Weekend here in Washington State

..
Ponds and fish are looking good, a few buds coming on lilies, but it has
been a slow start. Iris hasn't even bloomed yet, but I noticed it is
preparing itself. Kathy said she had a lily bloom. No one in the koi/pond
club has yet to win the lily bloom contest. I divided up 17 lilies this
year and have sold all but 3.

Tomorrow I'm planning a big planting day of the terrestrial kind, then I'

ll
work on the last of the pond plants. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Chilly, wet, and over cast with moments of sun shine. And it is
suppose to continue into the week. Good thing is, I do not need to
water as much. :-) The "ok" thing is that I am not highly motivated
to get out there in the wet and chill to do stuff around the pond.
So, I watch it a lot for now. :-)))

Old 25-05-2009, 02:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Another chilly day today . . .
We are going on almost two weeks it seems of below 70 degree (F)
temperatures here in the Springs. And I have a koi that now seems to
have contracted a cotton like fungus on it's sides. It keeps to it
self and swims near the surface 'hiding' near some rocks. When I
approach it, it will swim away with some vigor but will return to is
'resting' place. I introduced "Medi Koi" food yesterday but I am
thinking I need to quarantine "Nickel Short" (that is what my wife
named the fish - go figure . . .) and start a salt bath. From what I
am reading salt bath and getting the pond warm (not till Friday when
the temperatures are predicted to be back into the 70's) is the best
treatment.
Any other suggestions?
Have a great week!
W. Dale

Old 26-05-2009, 07:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On May 25, 10:00 am, wrote:
this is columnaris and a salt bath followed by potassium permanganate bat

h and feed
antibiotic food. columnaris is a bacteria. Ingrid

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Thanks Ingrid!
I will get the started right away. I would hate to lose Nickel Short
to this bacteria.

Old 26-05-2009, 07:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I have baby fish. Saw 2. Caught one in a solid lily pot, pulled it up and
put pot in a large mesh basket hoping it will stay. The rim of the basket
is above the water line, currently baby could swim out, but nothing can
swim in, which is my goal. The 2nd was in a place I had to leave it,
hopefully there will be more sightings. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-06-2009, 07:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 31 May 2009 18:27:20 EDT, Jim and Phyllis
wrote:

Congrats on being a fish grandmother. Nice. Ours have not bred yet.

And they just keep on coming. I went to show my DS the ones in the filter,
and on the surface were all these tiny, tiny fry. I sure hope they don't
get eaten by their bigger brothers and/or sisters in there. So far I've
only seen 3 at one time of the bigger ones, they're about 4 times the size
of these new fry, that in a glance I'd say there is a dozen or more. Maybe
I'll throw some water cress in today for cover. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-06-2009, 11:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On May 26, 12:06 pm, W Dale wrote:
Thanks Ingrid!
I will get the started right away. I would hate to lose Nickel Short
to this bacteria.

Nickel Short died.

So sorry to hear. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State