Old 18-05-2009, 03:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Water Hawthorne

Someone used WH as a plant abbreviation and my brain wasn't working
well enough to just assume they meant the ubiquitous Water Hyacinth--
so I googled & found a Water Hawthorne.

Thanks a lot, buddy. Now I've got to make another trip or place
another order at a plant store.g
http://www.mwgs.org/index.php?rte=pltviewd&pid=41&cid=1
Looks like an floating orchid to me- pads like elongated Lilly pads-
hardy to zone 5- will grow in water 6-inches to 2-feet deep- but this
is what hooked me "It will bloom in the spring while the waters are
still cold, and then again in the fall once the water temperatures
have fallen."

Any good [or horror] stories on this one?

Jim

Old 19-05-2009, 04:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The plant is new to me. Looks great. Let us know how it works and
get prepared for requests for babies!

The description suggests it will do very well.

Jim

Old 19-05-2009, 05:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jim and Phyllis wrote:

The plant is new to me. Looks great. Let us know how it works and
get prepared for requests for babies!

The description suggests it will do very well.

Jim

The only odd thing about them is they are summer dormant. At least in my
pond.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 20-05-2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

http://www.mwgs.org/index.php?rte=pltviewd&pidA&cid=1
Looks like an floating orchid to me- pads like elongated Lilly pads-
hardy to zone 5- will grow in water 6-inches to 2-feet deep- but this
is what hooked me "It will bloom in the spring while the waters are
still cold, and then again in the fall once the water temperatures
have fallen."

Any good [or horror] stories on this one?

Jim

===========================
If you mean water hyacinths, they're not hardy here in zone 6a.
The water hawthorn I once had didn't survive winter here either.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-05-2009, 04:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 19 May 2009 11:21:16 EDT, Jim and Phyllis
wrote:

The plant is new to me. Looks great. Let us know how it works and
get prepared for requests for babies!

The description suggests it will do very well.

Jim

If anything like mine, he'll have babies. I have them coming up in various
pots via seeds I assume, since some pots were at the other end of the pond.
Easy to transplant and not overly reproductive. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 29-05-2009, 02:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

Water Hawthorn, Aponogeton distachyos, is originally from Southern
Africa (which has a fairly warm climate), and won't survive much below
-5C, i.e. 23F, (is that around zone 8/9? We don't use US temperature
zones in the UK; they're not relevant in a maritime climate), which
ties in with your comment that it didn't survive zone 6a with you
(~10F?).

=======================- 5F is about as cold as it gets here in TN's zone 6a.
--
RM....