Old 03-06-2009, 08:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Not cleaning filters

Phyllis and I were looking at our pond and decided that we (read:
Jim!) do not need to clean the veggie filters this year. We never do
our main pond as the fish stir the muck into the deep well and the
filter pushes it up to the veggie filters, where it settles. We have
not cleaned the veggie filters yet...may not need to at all this
year. The 1st 4 x 4 veggie filter seems to get most of the muck and
the 4 x 8 next to it has relatively little muck in it. If the 4 x 4
gets looking like jello (as it did one year0 we will clean it.

Anyone have any thoughts about leaving the veggie filters alone this
season?

Jim

Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I have a Bio falls which also serves as a veggie filter, in addition to the
mechanical filtering. I've not cleaned mine out yet and may not. I'm not
noticing a slow down in water flow and I'm leaving the bacteria field
intact. This spring I've experienced the shortest algae bloom ever; by
several weeks. I can't swear that it's because I didn't clean my filter out
reducing the bacteria bed but what the hey! It keeps me from throwing my
back out lifting those lava rock bags out and getting covered in muck. I've
not saved enough money yet to buy the Matala filter pads that jan
recommends. ;-(

JB

Old 07-06-2009, 01:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 04:04:24 EDT, "JB" wrote:

I have a Bio falls which also serves as a veggie filter, in addition to the
mechanical filtering. I've not cleaned mine out yet and may not. I'm not
noticing a slow down in water flow and I'm leaving the bacteria field
intact. This spring I've experienced the shortest algae bloom ever; by
several weeks. I can't swear that it's because I didn't clean my filter out
reducing the bacteria bed but what the hey! It keeps me from throwing my
back out lifting those lava rock bags out and getting covered in muck. I've
not saved enough money yet to buy the Matala filter pads that jan
recommends. ;-(
JB

JB, better than lava rock, cheaper than matala, lighter than both: Super
Media... Bug screening! I think it is fiberglass dipped in vinyl, is that
right? I've never had a problem with it, I just replace it every 5-7 years.
This cleans to brand new and is so easy to clean on the ground or better an
open weave fence (like chain link). So when you go to pull those rocks,
toss them and shove screening in the bags, or get rid of the bags entirely.
Btw, I do think if one leaves their filter on normal or slow flow thru
winter, it is better not to clean anything till later in the spring, it has
sure worked for me. (Hmmm... another think I've been procrastinating,
cleaning my koi pond prefilter.) Anyway, there you have it. Super Media, at
your local hardware store today, disguised as bugging screening, but wise
ponders everywhere know the difference. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jan is right. We have one barrel with screen. It is easy to work.
Ours does get clogged, however, with muck. The water, however, goes
around it and the muck settles in the filter, so it makes little
difference.

Jim

Old 08-06-2009, 10:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~jan,

"Super Media" is your term not the product name, right? I Googled "Super
Media" and came up with zilch for pond filtration medium. I need to look for
bug screening, like the stuff you put in screen doors and porches. bear
with me. I'm having a dense moment." If it is bug/window screen it would
seem to me to be prone to clogging up.

Thanks.

JB

Old 10-06-2009, 03:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 17:50:20 EDT, "JB" wrote:

"Super Media" is your term not the product name, right?

Yes, think I could market bug screening as the best darn filter media as
"little" money can buy? And give it that name? :-)

bug screening, like the stuff you put in screen doors and porches.

That's the stuff.

bear with me. I'm having a dense moment." If it is bug/window screen it would
seem to me to be prone to clogging up.

Not any worst (and less so) than any other media out there. I use it in my
pre-filters, my koi filter I have yet to clean since late last fall. The
majority of the crud seems to stay below it even when water starts to
channel around it.

We should take a poll. All who use bug screening say "I". Here's my *I*, I
know Kathy does, & Jim just said. Who else? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hard to beat the ease of cleaning screen. No comparison for lava
rock. Our strapping tape in a bag is good, but far less surface than
plant roots or screen.

Jim

Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Dog fire! I've got a roll of that stuff in one of my storage rooms. The
previous owner of the home we purchased had replaced the screen on the back
porch and doors before we bought this home back in 2004. Been right under my
nose all along.

Who said news groups were a waste of time. ;-)

Owe you one.

Thanks!

JB

Old 24-03-2011, 03:41 PM