GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Duckweed control (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/184421-duckweed-control.html)

Galen Hekhuis 03-06-2009 09:11 PM

Duckweed control

I live in northern Florida and have a pond that is covered in
duckweed. It's a natural mud pond, fed by some kind of spring (I've
never found it, but the pond feeds a tiny stream and the pond never
runs out of water). I have ducks that visit and eat the stuff, but
they don't eat enough to control it. Likewise with the turtles. Aside
from grass carp, does anyone know of a way to control it?
..

Pat 04-06-2009 09:05 AM

Duckweed control

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
I live in northern Florida and have a pond that is covered in
duckweed. It's a natural mud pond, fed by some kind of spring (I've
never found it, but the pond feeds a tiny stream and the pond never
runs out of water). I have ducks that visit and eat the stuff, but
they don't eat enough to control it. Likewise with the turtles. Aside
from grass carp, does anyone know of a way to control it?
.

Duckweed doesn't like moving water. Perhaps some sort of pump/fountain.

Jim and Phyllis 04-06-2009 03:06 PM

Duckweed control

As i think about it, grass carp is an interesting idea. Our acre pond
has two in it. They keep it free of algae...and other green things as
well. Last year, they were 6-8" long. This year, they are 30" long!
How big did you say your pond was?

Jim

Jim and Phyllis 04-06-2009 03:06 PM

Duckweed control

Hi Galen,

Your duckweed is a treat for my koi and goldfish. They, however, are
not natural to your pond!

Our berm ponds have lots of duckweed. The main pond is clear of it.
I toss duckweed in it frequently as a koi treat.

Jim

Galen Hekhuis 04-06-2009 04:18 PM

Duckweed control

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:06:16 EDT, Jim and Phyllis
wrote:

As i think about it, grass carp is an interesting idea. Our acre pond
has two in it. They keep it free of algae...and other green things as
well. Last year, they were 6-8" long. This year, they are 30" long!
How big did you say your pond was?

It's about 1/4 acre I think, it's kinda hard to get a handle on the
exact surface area because the pond is shaped kinda like New
Hampshire, it isn't a triangle and it isn't a rectangle either.

Galen Hekhuis 04-06-2009 04:18 PM

Duckweed control

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 04:05:06 EDT, "Pat" wrote:

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
.. .
I live in northern Florida and have a pond that is covered in
duckweed. It's a natural mud pond, fed by some kind of spring (I've
never found it, but the pond feeds a tiny stream and the pond never
runs out of water). I have ducks that visit and eat the stuff, but
they don't eat enough to control it. Likewise with the turtles. Aside
from grass carp, does anyone know of a way to control it?
.

Duckweed doesn't like moving water. Perhaps some sort of pump/fountain.

I'll give that a try, I plan to get power back there shortly (it's
about 750 from the closest utility pole) so it shouldn't be hard.

Joe[_12_] 04-06-2009 10:42 PM

Duckweed control

Jim and Phyllis wrote:

Hi Galen,

Your duckweed is a treat for my koi and goldfish. They, however, are
not natural to your pond!

Our berm ponds have lots of duckweed. The main pond is clear of it.
I toss duckweed in it frequently as a koi treat.

Jim

I wish my Koi would eat duckweed. About once a week I have to go through
with a net to try and remove it. I'm gonna kill who ever sold me a plant
with the duck weed in it. It forever plugs my first (net) filter.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.