GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   ducks are trying to get me! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/184700-ducks-trying-get-me.html)

kathy[_3_] 12-06-2009 01:38 PM

ducks are trying to get me!

I've had a duck couple visiting this spring. I've watched the
labradors
mosey past the pond and not even noticing the ducks...

But today I remembered Ian's duck admonition -that people would crash
rather than run over a duck?
Sooooooo close -

Driving back home this morning.
Coming up to the exit.
Who is strolling across the lanes but a Mama Duck and three ducklings.
Right in the middle of the freeway.
And I am going about 50 mph.
Mama Duck sees me coming and freezes, ducklings wandering around in
confusion.
Rear view mirror, no-one behind me, stand on the brakes, go left, she
goes left, go right, she goes right, oh, gawd, I'm going to kill baby
ducks!
Right on top of them, waiting to hear the thumpty-thump and ducks
screaming.
No thumps.
Look in my rear view mirror, Mama Duck and ducklings are still in the
middle of the lane.
The next motorist approaches. Feint left! Feint right!
I bet Mama Duck had more than three eggs hatch but since she started
playing chicken in the traffic the other baby ducks have ALL BEEN
SQUASHED.

k :-)