Old 19-06-2009, 02:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Toads/tadpoles poisoning pond?

I have had about 6-8 goldfish in my pond die over the past 4-6 weeks. Some
of the goldfish are several years old, and some are younger. The dead fish
seem to be of various ages/sizes. I haven't noticed any sick fish, and
everyone seems to look and act normally, but occasionally, I find a dead
fish floating in the pond. We had toads mating in the pond this spring
(moreso than usual) and a horrendous hatching of tadpoles. I'm wondering if
the prolific numbers of tadpoles has altered the water and maybe poisoned
some of the fish. We have always had toads and a few tadpoles with no
problems, but nothing like this year's bumper crop! My pond is a small
300-gallon tank.

I caught two mating toads and relocated them to a nearby large irrigation
pond/lake. I have also scooped out tons of tadpoles with the net, but there
are still quite a few in there. Has anyone else experienced a similar
situation?

Thanks!

Old 19-06-2009, 07:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:08:57 EDT, "Gary" wrote:

[...]

Sure that can happen! And your fish are bigger each year, so they require
more O2. Only way to know for sure is to do a water quality check when fish
start dying.

Fish that appear to die suddenly with no visible sign of disease is usually
due to water quality. Frequent partial water changes or a flow system,
while toads were mating, probably could have prevented this. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-06-2009, 05:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 08:36:15 EDT, "Gary" wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion, Jan. I will run down and get a test kit. I'm
also going to change out the water and keep working on getting the tads out
of the pond.

Gary

You don't have to change it all out, preferable not to if you still have
some fish. Better are those "Frequent Partial Water Changes"

I guess that's some California's club mantra, perhaps we should adopt it?
;-) We could all put it in our sig. line. (those of us who have sig.
lines). ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 23-06-2009, 01:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gary" wrote in message
Thanks for your suggestion, Jan. I will run down and get a test kit.

I'm
also going to change out the water and keep working on getting the tads

out of the pond.

=====================I hope you're relocating those tadpoles and
not killing them. :-)
--