Old 19-06-2009, 02:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Blue Heron Ate my Fish

I came home the other night to find ALL of my butterfly Koi Gone.. My
wife told me there was a Heron on the Pond that she chased away 2X. I
told her next time let the beagle loose on it.. the bird would fly
away before she go to it..

Hind sight being what it is.. I'm placing fishing line in a chris
cross manner to prevent that ^%$#@# bird from getting my koi..

9 Butterfly koi. 6 - 9 inches .

the more I think about it, the madder I get....

Old 19-06-2009, 05:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Bummer!

We had one visit, but the sides are straight and the plants overgrow
it some, so the heron left after 5 or 6 fruitlesws visits. If it had
done what yours did....

Jim

Old 19-06-2009, 07:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:09:07 EDT, Peter Pan wrote:

I came home the other night to find ALL of my butterfly Koi Gone.. My
wife told me there was a Heron on the Pond that she chased away 2X. I
told her next time let the beagle loose on it.. the bird would fly
away before she go to it..

Hind sight being what it is.. I'm placing fishing line in a chris
cross manner to prevent that ^%$#@# bird from getting my koi..

9 Butterfly koi. 6 - 9 inches .

the more I think about it, the madder I get....

I feel your pain (had a raccoon take one of my oldest & nicest BF koi last
summer) I can't imagine losing them all!

Besides string, get some mylar ribbon used in fruit trees and vineyards.
And make sure the bird can't walk up to and under string. I have one area
the bird could walk up to and I put a short rope fence across. They can't
step over such, there is one small place one could duck under the fence,
but it would put it in such close quarters with string and mylar ribbon
above, one has never risked it. In fact, I haven't seen one since that
first weekend they spied the pond and we put up our line & ribbons. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-06-2009, 01:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
Peter Pan wrote:

I came home the other night to find ALL of my butterfly Koi Gone.. My

Been there, but was lucky to only have a couple gobbled.

Tomato netting strung over the pond works great.

The Herons remember where they found snacks, so they'll be watching for
a while.

Old 23-06-2009, 01:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
I came home the other night to find ALL of my butterfly Koi Gone.. My
wife told me there was a Heron on the Pond that she chased away 2X. I
told her next time let the beagle loose on it.. the bird would fly
away before she go to it..

Hind sight being what it is.. I'm placing fishing line in a chris
cross manner to prevent that ^%$#@# bird from getting my koi..

9 Butterfly koi. 6 - 9 inches .

the more I think about it, the madder I get....

=============================Aggravating and frustrating isn't it? :-( These
are smart birds. Let us know how the fishing
line works.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Great Blue Heron - How Big of Fish Will They Eat? JB[_1_] Ponds (moderated) 44 27-12-2007 01:53 AM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 9 13-09-2004 02:33 PM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Lisa Ponds 21 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Lisa Ponds 2 01-07-2004 07:02 PM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Andrew Burgess Ponds 0 27-06-2004 09:07 PM